Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:09:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Received my copy of "Setting the East Ablaze"!  (Read 11797 times)

Offline coggon

• Scientist
Received my copy of "Setting the East Ablaze"!
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:48:52 AM »
(with tongue planted firmly in cheek ;))

When I arrived home from another strenuous week at the office, my man Jeeves was kind enough to inform me that the morning post had brought my long anticipated package from the League of Extraordinary Kriegspielers and that it, along with a brandy, awaited me in my study.  Atremble with anticipation (for the brandy, like I said, long week at work  lol) I went to the study and sat down to peruse the rules. 

As I had requested an autographed copy, I was quite surprised to see that Count Ignatieff had not only autographed them, he had written a short missive to me on the inside cover.  I would like to personally thank him for that consideration. It is appreciated.

As a big fan of the League and their adventures, I had seen electronic copies of these rules in several iterations.  I am also quite familiar with the photographic evidence of the league's campaigns.  Having said all that, I felt that I was prepared to read these rules dispassionately.  But I was mistaken. I must say that I was STUNNED by the quality of the rulebook.  (In other words-Oooh-Shiney  lol).  The quality of the photographs and the way they were woven into the text was very impressive. Somehow it all seems more "real" now and I can't wait to get my (modest) collection of BOB lead back onto the table.

Unfortunately for Jeeves, I have had to let him go as the funds that pay his handsome salary will be FAR better spent on more lead :D  (As expected, he took the news stoically)

Seriously-to Steve and the rest of the League-you've outdone yourselves-Congrats!
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Received my copy of "Setting the East Ablaze"!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
We aim to please...and inspire!  THANKS!
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »
Hardcover? Book? When did this happen and where was I at the time? Tell me, darn it!

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »
Hardcover? Book? When did this happen and where was I at the time? Tell me, darn it!

Book.  Softcover.  LAVISHLY illustrated with the sort of top notch photography one expects from the League. Can't say when it was mailed, but it arrived here on a Friday.  Dunno where you were tho lol

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »
I demand a copy! Demand it, I say!

Who's selling these then? Seriously... Lately I feel as if the world is passing me by and not even a wave!

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »
I demand a copy! Demand it, I say!

Who's selling these then? Seriously... Lately I feel as if the world is passing me by and not even a wave!

http://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.php?e6c1bf7aa7ed3ad31b3b13a903ccde42&id=20012   

Feel free to contact Caliver with your demands lol

And yeah, the world IS passing me by.  I kind of like it.   ;)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »
Thank you, coggon! Glad some people are still willing to help out an old senile Greek. ;)

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:07:21 AM »
What does this book cover? Is it more aimed at BOB gaming verses RCW gaming? I'm interested, but if it's more geared toward BOB then I'll pass.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:52:14 AM »
Does both well.  We've fought dozens of RCW games with it and it works.  Depends what you are after in terms of rule mechanisms of course.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »
Does both well.  We've fought dozens of RCW games with it and it works.  Depends what you are after in terms of rule mechanisms of course.

Thank You! That is helpful; I'll pick it up later this month. Just wanted to be sure I could it would be helpful for those of us that play RCW as well (not really into the whole Bob thing though).

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »
Any information on the rules? How do they work, for what kind of games are they written?

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
Hi Mike

These are designed for medium sized games of 60-70 figures a side, but can play smaller and are also regularly used for large multiplayer games featuring 500+ figures a side.  Figures are based singly, and organised into units of 10-20 figures.  All the major protagonists of the period 1917-26 are covered.  We've used for them for RCW battles right through to major  encounters on the NW frontier.  Weve been developing them over the past ten years and have played literally hundreds of games with them.

Here's a cover shot, and a link to the Partizan webpage:

http://www.caliverbooks.com/Partizan%20Press/partizan_EastAblaze.shtml

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »
Are these written with gamemaster driven scenarios in mind or can they also be used for tournament style games (points values, balanced lists, cleary defined rules, a set of general scenrios).
Do they feature some kind of campaign system to generate games?

I thought it would be interesting to read some more detailed designers notes. What kind of game did you have in mind when writing the rules, what mechanics did you use, are they influenced by any other game system....

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
Are these written with gamemaster driven scenarios in mind or can they also be used for tournament style games (points values, balanced lists, cleary defined rules, a set of general scenrios).
Do they feature some kind of campaign system to generate games?

I thought it would be interesting to read some more detailed designers notes. What kind of game did you have in mind when writing the rules, what mechanics did you use, are they influenced by any other game system....

Mostly gamemaster driven scenarios.  I abhor tournament wargaming.  They would work for it, but werent designed with that in mind.  We wanted fast, decisive games that rewarded good planning and tactics rather than rules lawyers.  Think the spirit of kriegspiel.  the dice are all six sided.  They have a slightly 'heroic' nature to them in that leaders (officers/mullahs/commissars, etc) can have a decisive influence if used intelligently.  Like most rules these days they are influenced by many sets, but have a very distinctive and unique feel. Movement/action is by drawing cards, which makes planning and coordination a challenge, but as always good plans win out....

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
All right, thanks! This does sound like an interesting set of rules for our multiplayer games then.