Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Infantry "Bombs" - Setting the East Ablaze rules  (Read 4642 times)

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
Infantry "Bombs" - Setting the East Ablaze rules
« on: January 03, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
In the Setting the East Ablaze rules, there is mention of inantry carrying "bombs", but no mention of how many (is it one per soldier or how many per unit or is there a ratio per number of figures?).

Looking at the recently released scenario book for these rules (which is very nice btw), there are scenarios that list these infantry "bombs" as well, but still no clarification.

Maybe I missed something somewhere, so asking for answers here.

Thanks!

Offline Beast of Bukhara

• Scientist
Re: Infantry "Bombs" - Setting the East Ablaze rules
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »

My recollection is that the number of bombs for eligible troop types is not specified.

As such you may wish to limit the number or otherwise as you deem appropriate for the game.

Happy gaming :D 

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 02:52:48 PM »
Great question

It was originally unlimited, but we have had some expert players who have developed a skill that makes them well nigh unstoppable, especially for higher quality troops.  They were never used like this, even in the height of the bomb mania on the western front, and certainly not in the Back of Beyond....

So, in the soon to be released (and free to all) addenda page, they will be radically re-written. In essence, you have to pass a morale test to make a bomb attack (it was not for the faint hearted), but no more than one in three men may throw a bomb. The number of bombs in a unit remains unlimited.  This means that a C2 unit may move and fire their weapons and be supported by a bomb attack, a C3 bomb attack can be 'shot in' but the rest of the unit, whilst those C4 troops who know which end is up on the bomb can all rush forward and marvel at the three guys who do know what they are doing lob said fragmentation projectile

Hope that helps

S
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:29:23 PM by Ignatieff »
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 03:33:35 AM »
Great, thanks for the reply about the numbers and addenda page (keep me posted on when it becomes available).

Ok, then another question. What are "bombs" per se; are them (as I guess) grenades or molotov or home-made bombs? From my reading, Russians had the earlies grenades, a square box on a stick type as of 1912, but I can't find anything earlier, so guessing "bombs" are meant as something made? Please clarify.

Note that I'm running the first mutineer scenario in the book this Tuesday from my group, so that's why the quick and pressing questions on bombs.

In advance, thanks.

Bob

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:29:25 AM »
Great, thanks for the reply about the numbers and addenda page (keep me posted on when it becomes available).

Ok, then another question. What are "bombs" per se; are them (as I guess) grenades or molotov or home-made bombs? From my reading, Russians had the earlies grenades, a square box on a stick type as of 1912, but I can't find anything earlier, so guessing "bombs" are meant as something made? Please clarify.

Note that I'm running the first mutineer scenario in the book this Tuesday from my group, so that's why the quick and pressing questions on bombs.

In advance, thanks.

Bob

Bombs in our rules are industrially produced hand grenades.  Its just that they were called this at this time. It's also a cooler handle than 'hand grenade'.  If you want to adapt them for molotovs, etc feel free.  I would however work out alternative damage, not addtional damage for them, e.g. a molotov might kill a single figure, but wouldnt have a blast radius, but would instead have a chance of setting fire to stuff.  As always, use common sense, and if the muse is absent, throw a dice  :)

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »
Thanks!

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »
  and if the muse is absent, 

Can't see that the esteemed Ignatieff has ever suffered from a case of lack of muse!  lol lol lol
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 06:27:21 AM »
Great question...

So, in the soon to be released (and free to all) addenda page, they will be radically re-written. In essence, you have to pass a morale test to make a bomb attack (it was not for the faint hearted), but no more than one in three men may throw a bomb. The number of bombs in a unit remains unlimited.  This means that a C2 unit may move and fire their weapons and be supported by a bomb attack, a C3 bomb attack can be 'shot in' but the rest of the unit, whilst those C4 troops who know which end is up on the bomb can all rush forward and marvel at the three guys who do know what they are doing lob said fragmentation projectile

Hope that helps

S

How are we doing with that addenda chap? :)
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »
How are we doing with that addenda chap? :)

Still lurks in my head....the voices are telling me to get on with it, but my microsoft outlook calender is denying me the time.....Soon, soon...end of the month latest

S

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »
Still lurks in my head....the voices are telling me to get on with it   

S

lol You should listen to them!