Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Whitechapel Gun Club (Game report - 4th November)  (Read 17208 times)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Re: The Whitechapel Gun Club (table, rules, character cards - 20th October)
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »
Lovely thread!  :-*

Offline verd

• Scientist
    • El Senyor Verd
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
 :o

Super paintwork, super terrain, super idea... super thread!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »
Thanks  :)

Well the Whitechapel Gun Club had their first outing at this weekend's British Lead Adventure Meeting (BLAM!)

The Gun Club were officered by Matakishi and Jimbibbly, whilst the evil adversaries were controlled by Hammers and Harvey.

The objective was for the Gun Club (on an outing to Transylvania) to make their way down a table fraught with obstacles and enemies to pluck a sacrifical maiden from hideous peril before evil vampire, Count Ordog, can awake as dusk falls (start of turn 5) and emerge from his lair to claim his bride...
Managing to despatch the beast into the bargain, would be objective fulfilled and then some.

Here are few pics...

The Gun Club members encircle the smithy beside a bridge. They aimed to sneak up silently, but the lone sentry on the bridge spotted them and yells a warning.
The Count's Carparthian riflemen come tumbing out into a withering hail of devastatingly accurate pistol fire.
Colonel Szekely is despatched before he can even flick the switch on his electro-lance force field generator. So much for his special ability.

As Professor Pottering leads the way onto the bridge, Dr Watson and his companions outflank the villains along the river...

All in all, short work is made of the Carparthians, and soon all are dead.

But the shooting has roused the crew of the Infernal Steam Vehicle 'Pokol'. They spill from their inn billet, and fire up their vehicle... As it approaches the bridge, rattling off bursts from its Maxim gun, the Great Marengo heroically blocks its path, peers in the driver's window, and attempts to use his special ability to mesmerise her.

Unfortunately he fails, so the Gun Club members surround the vehicle, and daredevil Lady Penelope Fondling vaults atop the confounded contraption, whips off her underwear and stuffs it down the funnel thereby blocking the exhaust and causing the vehicle to fill with steam and judder to a halt...

As the vehicle lurches forwards with its last gasp it flattens Florrie Nightingale, Marengo and Dr Watson, causing several injuries but no fatalities.
Just as well both Florrie and the good Doctor possess healing special abilities, and remove wounds like nobody's business...
Lady Penelope flings herself forward over the turret, inserts her mauser into the machine gun slot, and empties her magazine into the interior, the hail of ricocheting bullets finally bringing the dreadful carriage to a final rest. Meanwhile, Unorthodox priest Father Erasmus, heads off through the rocks to find a path less travelled...

Unfortunately, all these shenanigans have taken up four entire turns. Dusk falls, and the wicked Count explodes from his hunting lodge, eager to savour his new, helpless bride... (Sorry he's slightly out of focus... You can never seem to get a good picture of a vampire, can you?)

Dr Watson has raced after Father Erasmus however, and they attempt to sneak around the back of the unfortunate victim's platform, as other members of the Gun Club approach from the crossroads...

The Great Marengo, now attempts to mesmerise the Count's Bridal guards. Once again, he fails (he's really not that good an illusionist as things turn out), so pulls out his pistol and starts shooting instead.

In the spooky mist (no, I don't know what happened to that picture) Captain Ishmael Spoons, Fanny Daley, and Lady Euthanasia Pokingham-Proditt line up to take potshots at the Bridal Guards lurking in the conifer forest...

Moving forward from cover to cover, the members of the Gun Club gradually pick off the enemy until only the Count himself remains.
Since the monster is impervious to bullets, Lady Euthanasia then gathers up her skirts and rushes him, wrapping herself around his legs so he can't get away...

Marengo finally proves his worth by leaping onto the platform and freeing the victim - whom he promptly recruits as a new glamorous assistant...
Whilst the other ladies swarm over the Count and subdue him, leaving Father Erasmus to plunge his stake through the heart of the beast.

Game over - victory to the Whitechapel Gun Club.

A general view of the table...

Verdict. It worked pretty well. A few minor tweaks to the rules required - one or two of the special abilities were a bit too powerful and one or two others were of no use at all. But essentially, a workable little game, and the basic mechanics work well.

Further adventures will follow...

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Whitechapel Gun Club (Game report - 4th November)
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »
That looked like a lot of fun  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2012, 12:09:14 AM »
Brilliant report, Cap'! Can't wait to see more...
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2012, 12:14:28 AM »
Excellent table, excellent minis - what more could you ask for?

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2012, 12:25:28 AM »
Looks like fun!

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2012, 01:48:17 AM »
Thats just so much better than anything I will ever achieve.  lol

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2012, 02:07:21 AM »
A wonderful story.
Love the figures and terrain.
Have to ask the question,
what kind of underwear does Lady Fonding wear?
Sexy, I bet. :o
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2012, 02:54:47 AM »
Bravo sir, Bravo!  :-*

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »
A thoroughly entertaining game! You really can't beat an incompetent mesmerist for comedy relief :D
One of my most inspiring gaming moments from this years BLAM, thanks for putting it on Richard, it all worked a treat.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2012, 09:59:57 AM »
Never got a chance to play, but sure looks like a nice game!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »
A wonderful story.
Love the figures and terrain.
Have to ask the question,
what kind of underwear does Lady Fonding wear?
Sexy, I bet. :o

Lecherous pervert. I know from personal experience they were not slinky and minimal little unmentionables but rather some wooly and sensible combination with enough stopping power to make a steam engine, stoked red hot, come to a grinding halt. My poor Transylvanian Lesbians...

A great and wonderful looking game inviting to all sorts of puerile and silly comments (although perhaps a wee bit tilted in the favour of the goodies).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:14:53 AM by Hammers »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »
Lovely, lovely, lovely.  :-*

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2012, 03:18:31 PM »
Excellent! I bet that'd work as a film, sort of Carry On meets Hammer directed by Guy Ritchie  8)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.