Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:57:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval heraldry - how do you do yours!  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
Medieval heraldry - how do you do yours!
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:13:30 PM »
I'm starting out with some HYW medievals, lots of serfs and men at arms type stuff. I'm thinking for most of them some similar colour codes will be sufficent as from what reading i've done on this it is clear that this was the main way they used to identify each other on the battlefield.

However for the knight chaps and a few of them with tabards + shields I'm wanting to be a bit more creative. Do you gents paint the coats of arms on by hand or is there somewhere I can just buy transfers for 28mm figures, ive seen pictures on here and around the net of awesome looking medievals with heraldry stuff on. I can only assume the people that paint them are natural artists as they look quite incredible. Or use transfers the option for cheapskates like me.

Is there any good sources you know of for say around 12th-14th century coats of arms and lords colours, i've found some local stuff in like the Percys and the Hyltons but any help on this fascinating subject is very welcome :)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: Medieval heraldry - how do you do yours!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 08:53:02 PM »
LBM, Little Big Men Studios for all your transfering needs :)

Link
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:17:45 PM »
Thanks alot mate some very nice stuff there, but not the tabards. Guess ill have to try hand painting them, wish me luck :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »
Good luck!  ;)

Actually, it's time-consuming to get it looking good, but perfectly do-able.
Very pointy brush. Steady hand as you can manage. Prop up the mini on some blu-tack or something, so you're not holding it with your other hand - that way you only need to worry about one steady hand, not two ;)
Tiny amount of paint right on the tip of your brush and off you go.
And don't worry if you go wrong because you can retouch the opposing colour until you get the line or shape you're happy with...

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »
..or combine both transfers with freehand.

LINK

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:10:29 PM »
..or combine both transfers with freehand.

LINK

Thanks for all the replys guys and man those figures look EPIC!

I'm currently getting more and more confused about what colours to paint the basic heraldry, for early medieval/HYW, ive decided to do my figures all same side but I dont want them looking like Frenchies!

Any heads up on a simple link for the basic colours, or is there so little information from this period you can just make them up? Most the links ive found have being for Wars of the Roses and later periods?

Offline JazzIsBlues

• Student
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 05:39:18 AM »
A couple of things worth noting.

1. Typical soldiers, regulars, sergeants at arms, cavalry troops that sort of thing typically wore at most the base color of their lord and his badge typically on the left chest though that is not by any stretch a hard and fast rule there was a great deal of variation.

2. Heraldry changed a lot over the years in general terms from simpler to more complex. If you want accuracy it's a good idea to research the heraldry from the time that you're after.

3. Heraldry is a science not an art the colors and meanings are specific again if you want accuracy it pays to do some research.

Cheers,

JiB

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
Thanks alot gents my creations are in process and I'll stick a few pics up if anybody would care to give me an opinion on them.

Its been an interesting getting back into this painting lark and I wish I'd got back into it along time ago, its just therapuetic and relaxing @)

I'm attracted to the idea of painting over the transfers, using them as a template as mentioned above, well be good fun im sure however they come out.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »
Thanks alot gents my creations are in process and I'll stick a few pics up if anybody would care to give me an opinion on them.

Always like to see what people are painting :)