Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Novel Suggestions  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Novel Suggestions
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:38:11 PM »
So, having never read a western before (but plenty of civil war) any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »
Elmore Leonard wrote a bunch of great westerns, novels and short stories.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »
Cant say I ever read a Wild West novel there were a lot of Pulp ones kicking around that my Dad used to read but I think I watch the old movies which were enough :)

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:53:56 PM »
Louis L'Amour has a mountain of novels out about the American West, i remember borrowing my dads books when i was growing up....really good stuff.  :)
Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »
Quote from: "MuleSkinner"
Louis L'Amour has a mountain of novels out about the American West, i remember borrowing my dads books when i was growing up....really good stuff.  :)

Thats the ones my Dad read :mrgreen:

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 05:13:28 PM »
Larry McMurty - The Lonesome Dove books.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:22:51 PM »
I'll second the Louis L`Amour. They are a little in the dime novel tradition where the men are real men, villains are real villains, and so forth, but still a fun read though very much in the John Wayne tradition of the west.

I also like Dorothy Johnson who wrote The Hanging Tree and Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 06:23:37 PM »
Louis L'Amour is a very good place to start.  About 20-30 of his books became Hollywood movies in some sort or other.  I've read nearly everything he wrote (it gets formulaic after a while).  

Zane Grey another prolific author

Owen Wister  "The Virginian"  The first "modern" Western, 1902

more classic westerns here:

http://westernsfortoday.blogspot.com/2007/06/canon-of-western-literature.html
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »
Not everybodys cup of tea but full of Victorian feel - Ron Hansen's 'Desperados' or 'The Assasination of Jesse James'

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »
Yep - "Lonesome Dove" would have to be one of the five best novels I've ever read.

Get it, read it - you won't be disappointed.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 03:32:15 AM »
i found a rare gem a few years back - The Cowboy and the Cossack by Clair Huffaker.  a cattle drive from Vladivostok to a Cossack settlement in the west.  it fit the formula without making the Cossacks or the Tartars - or the Cowboys - doing anything contrary to character.
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 12:29:35 PM »
Quote from: "lethallee61"
Yep - "Lonesome Dove" would have to be one of the five best novels I've ever read.

Get it, read it - you won't be disappointed.

Yes, I totally agree with the other two - Larry McMurty is a very good author & his "Lonesome Dove" books are perfect for creating the "atmosphere" to get into Western gaming.

I used to enjoy reading my Dad's books when I was a younger - especially the "Dusty Fog" series, by JT Edson & the "Edge" series by George G Gilman. Both series were set in or just after the Civil War. I greatly enjoyed them as a teenager, but I don't know how they would hold up these days. They were written in a great action-packed "pulpy" style & are full of  & scenario ideas, though.

Oddly enough, JT Edson was born in Derbyshire, England....... :?

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Novel Suggestions
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
With all the Germans in this forum, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Karl May yet.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline mmitchell_houston

• Student
    • http://www.hawgleg.com
McMurty is pretty danged good...
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »
Yer in Austin and yuh ain't never read a Western?  Shame on yuh, Pilgrim!
 :)

The first Lonesome Dove is a GREAT book (multi-award winning for a reason).  The others are also very good, but I suggest you read Streets of Laredo last.

That being said, I would ask what you're looking for in a Western novel.  If you're looking for one of the great novels, then LD is the way to go. If you want more of a traditional (and shorter) novel, then parhaps True Grit by Charles Portis.   If you're a fan of the HBO TV series, Deadwood, then there are a trio of novels set in Deadwood that might strike your fancy. They are by Mike Jameson and appear under the series title: Tales from Deadwood. Visit Amazon.com and search for Mike Jameson to find them.  These are not great Westerns, but they are a lot of fun and do a good job of creating a sense of environment and action.
------------
Mike Mitchell
www.hawgleg.com

Offline skirmishman

• Assistant
wild west novels
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 07:22:17 AM »
good mornig evryone   how about any western novels by J T Edson ,the pen name of a postman from Leicestershire who used to make them up on his rounds .More usless information from the repository of what passes for my brain.David. :)