Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A little help from the Anime model crowd?  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: A little help from the Anime model crowd?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:13 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to hold onto the models (maybe even build some) simply because I do not trust Palladium to deliver quality...I don't think they have it in them.  I suggested to the MechDude on his FB that he pursue a Macross-dedicated license in the US if possible...skip over Harmony Gold and Palladium etc.  I don't know if its possible.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 03:58:33 AM »
It's pretty much not possible to skip over Harmony Gold, it's the only real IP they control and they fight to hold it tooth and nail. So little of the macross sequels and merchendise and video games come over here because HG demands too much in licensing to make it worth it. The entire reason Battletech had to stop producing the macross mechs is because the HG license essentially gives them almost exclusive rights to anything involving robotech and the original 3 shows that it was made from. FASA DID have a license to use those mechs (contrary to popular belief), but it was from a different company. In Japan it's very common to give out multiple licenses for the same IP, even for products that are essentially the same, but that's not at all common for US licenses. HGs license was much stronger under US laws than the license FASA got, so they had settle the lawsuit and stop using the designs. Similarly, the Robotech Battles guys HAD to go through Palladium. They went to Harmony Gold first and HG told them that it was too similar to the RPG and they needed to work it out with Paladium.

Say what you will about Palladium, Kevin Siembieda, and the rather clunky RPG rules, but they certainly kept Robotech alive throughout the 90's when really nothing else was happening with the franchise. I do hope they use the Robotech Battles and Paulson Games guys for the final game, though. Not only did they put in a LOT of work to get it off the ground, but they're awesome guys and really have a great passion for it and I think they have a much better notion of what would make a good minis game. I'm a bit too young to have caught Robotech on TV, it was the novels and the RPG that got me into it in the early '90s so I have a lot of great memories of playing the RPG. That's what got me into gaming to begin with after all. But man oh man I don't know if I could handle a palladium system anymore, those RPGs work great so long as you don't know any better :P
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
I've been RPG'ing Robotech for 20 years (not as consistently as I'd have preferred) so I have little issue with Palladium, but they move like dinosaurs most of the time.  As far as I'm concerned, ANY Robotech stuff is good - though I don't care much for invented stuff.  Really didn't like the Shadow Chronicles movie at all.

I'm happy to say I've spent far too much money now, and have 16 Zentraedi Battle Pods...yikes! :D

I've even debated picking up the old Xbox titles again (I have a NIB original Xbox!) just to get some play time.  I "hope" Palladium does the game justice, I just have little faith.  I think Robotech fans in general are rather...realistic when it comes to expectations.  Seems like we're always teased with potential stuff happening, and it never does. 

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »
I used to be a big time palladium guy too, but I haven't played it in years. It just became too hard to convince friends to play a system that is so very clunky and dated, and I lost interest in the company after SOOO many missed release dates and scrapped titles and rumors from former writers of how terribly run the company was abounded. By the time of that big hoopla a few years back with palladium nearly going under and asking for help form fans came about, I had long since stopped caring about the company or the system, everything was (and still is) just referance books. I'd buy the new ones, but I hate the manga size they went with, even if it's cheaper.

I don't have much faith in a palladium run minis system either, for a while it looked like it was just going to be produced by Paladium but have the other guys write it and sculpt the minis. Now it looks like they're going with different (and very cheap, it sounds like) sculptor, and the rules are going to be an expansion of the RPG rules, and I've lost most of my interest and all of my exitement at this point.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »
I used to really enjoy gaming Robotech and TMNT, but we always used a super modified version of their rules.  Basically we'd use the skills, attributes, damage etc...but played a very fast and loose version of Palladium.  The whole initiatives/attacks per melee nonsense was thrown out the window in favor of common sense.  A huge guy just knocked you over?  Nope, you don't get your attack right now...

I'm working on some Robotech rules for my own gaming system (Fighting Fives) and I'll just do the rules as best I can, and likely use 1/200 minis...but if the Palladium minis eventually appear, I'll grab some up if they're decent, and use them.

I'm looking around trying to find some 40-54mm sci-fi troops who could pose at Zentraedi troopers...no luck so far.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
My current quest...(note: I have no green-stuff experience, so I may try it during this project)

Anyone have any ideas for 28mm-54mm models which could represent these guys? 

I'm not well versed in the many small lines of sci-fi troops available, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »
For that guy on the left, there's this 28mm mini from Antenociti:

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/terminus-police-uniformed-male.html

You may want to check their whole range of sci-fi minis:
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/antenocitis/g-o-t-figures-1.html
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 08:19:25 PM »
That actually looks pretty good - just need a head swap.  Unfortunately, I'm more concerned with finding the guy on the right - basic armored soldier.  Thanks though, I may need an officer at some point.  Right now, I may simply be stuck with pods. :)