Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:04:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Is he a Spam bot?  (Read 13656 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »
Nor this one:

Spastic Lemon

....and if it is a real person, they should change their name ASAP, as it's very offensive.

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 12:13:39 PM »
all this talk of spam has made me hungry.down in texas we barbecue spambots.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"
Nor this one:

Spastic Lemon

....and if it is a real person, they should change their name ASAP, as it's very offensive.

Yes. :x
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 05:55:36 AM »
How do you know if your a spambot?  I admit to having consumed spam in my time of hunger when putting myself through school. :oops:

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 08:02:33 AM »
Yesterday we had one member I've banned. A new member Bigbassfish, joined yesterday and started to send dozens of PMs to the members of LAF with exactly the same content where he praised the painting of the member and invited to join his forum and put some pics to his gallery. Some of the recipients told me about it and I asked him to stop it and said I have no problem with it if he would just announce his foum public but not this way. He said "ok", that's the whole content of his reply and continued his PM advertising campaign. Then I've deleted his account. Later he tried to join under the name Bigmecha, I have deleted it too and today sent him an email, he's not welcome on LAF. My apologies to them of you who received that PMs.

Generally, I'm a really tolerant guy, everyone please feel free to announce here your sites/forums/whatever. But do it in public and don't annoy the LAF people. PM advertizing is not allowed.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 09:06:46 AM »
Well, colour me stupid then, as I was flattered by the attention. Should have thought it through really.

Anyway, have made my feelings known:

http://www.wargamerguild.com/guild/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79&p=178#p178

Do not enjoy being taken for a monkey.  :x

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 09:25:13 AM »
Quote from: "JollyBob"
Well, colour me stupid then, as I was flattered by the attention. Should have thought it through really.

Anyway, have made my feelings known:

http://www.wargamerguild.com/guild/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79&p=178#p178

Do not enjoy being taken for a monkey.  :x

At least he thought you were worthy of inclusion. Even the spammers don't like me  :lol:

Mind you, if I'd received a PM from a fellow LAFer, I'd probably have taken it in good heart too, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Kudos to the Prof for booting him out  :D

Offline meanderthal

• Bookworm
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 11:25:18 AM »
Quote from: "twrchtrwyth"
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"
Nor this one:

Spastic Lemon

Yes. :x

I don't understand why that name is offensive... perhaps being American, I don't get the "joke"?  :oops:  Just sounds like the name of a punk band to me!
Winners never quit, and quitters never win...but if you never win, and never quit, you may just be an idiot!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 12:30:07 PM »
The words "spaz" and "spastic" have different connotations in the US and UK, I think. They have become offensive words to the ears of Brits. Originally "Spastic" was the word used for people with Cerebral Palsy. It eventually became a pejorative slang word for a person with any disability. As such it is now not much used in its original sense, and is seen only as an offensive taunt.

Even the Spastics Society (a disability charity) no longer call themselves that, as the word has been put beyond the pale by its slang usage.

I think that possibly in America the word has none of this baggage.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »
Bigass fish managed to tickle my ego to. I answered politely to the invitation but declined, due to where the fuck am I going to find the time to write articles about painting.

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

Definately.  I thought he was joking about "Spastic Lemon" being an offensive name too.

Offline meanderthal

• Bookworm
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 01:27:46 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

Okay, now I understand.  I wondered if it was something like that.  I can remember in high school (early 70's, that was) we used the term "spaz" in a jokingly pejorative manner, as in "Man, you are such a spaz," but it had none of the more serious connotations.  I suppose the closest in America I can think of in the sense of being considered rude, would be to use the term "retard", pronounced with the accent on the first syllable.

Thanks for the linguo-cultural lesson!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 09:17:47 AM »
Of course, these words were used the same way over here. They quickly became  general terms of playground abuse (along with the particularly nasty "Joey" after celebrity cerebral palsy sufferer Joey Deacon) for anyone displaying any kind of clumsiness or ineptitude. Kids can be so cruel.

So the same words were used in exactly the same way on both sides of the pond, it's just that over here they had much more sting.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 09:40:43 AM »
It's 'CP' (cerebral pares, same as c. palsy) and 'mongo' (mongoloid or Downs syndrom) over here. They were and are so common I hardly reflect on their missuse.

When I was a kid I went to a school which had an class for children with special needs, which shows just how gormless the politicians and administrators were. Their intentions were of course good as they thought these kids would benefit from playing with 'normal' kids (you know: normal as run-of-the-mill social problems a-plenty but no mental handicap). As you know the road to hell is paved with good intentions and I cringe with shame when I think of the occasional 'jokes' which were played at these poor kids. Not that I was a ring leader of that, but I certainly giggled along. Point is, it takes maturity to deal with unusual people.

That off my chest, back to the regular broadcast. Alex?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Is he a Spam bot?
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »
It's odd, at school we commonly used such words as 'mong' and 'spaz' as general taunts, not particularly meaning anything malicious by them.

Yet at the same time there was a kid at our school with Downs Syndrome, though it seemed a mild case (if such a thing is possible: He just seemed to be 'a bit' Downs, if that makes any sense). Completely against expectation he fitted in pretty well, and I don't remember anyone ever giving him any stick over his disability.

I don't know why this should have been. We certainly weren't a particularly mature bunch. In fact, in addition to having its own catchment, our school was the dumping ground for the kids expelled from the other schools in the county. But nobody ever teased this lad to my knowledge. Mystifying as to why such an obvious target was left alone. Nobody else was.