Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Khaki, Gray or Red for British in the Suakin in 1885  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Rob Herrick

• Librarian
Khaki, Gray or Red for British in the Suakin in 1885
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »
Did the British battalions making up the 1885 Suakin Expedition wear khaki, grey serge, or red? Anybody know?

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Khaki, Gray or Red for British in the Suakin in 1885
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:12:37 PM »
Depends who what and when  :). (Most started?) in grey and then turned over to khaki, with some having a splash of red, just for dash.

Some regiments were sent over from India and started in khaki.

If you have anyone in particular in mind i'll look it up.

Go Strong into the Desert by Col Snooks is a must read IMHO
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:21:49 AM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »
For the second Suakin expedition: mostly khaki with a touch of grey, I believe.

Khaki was the prescribed colour for the campaign. However, at the beginning it seems that some of the units were still in the earlier grey. The cavalry, both Indian and British (and the MI) were in khaki. Most of the Infantry (including the Guards, the Indians and the NSW mob) were in khaki too. The KSLI, the Berkshires and the Marines may have started out in grey, though. It would appear they received the new khaki uniforms during the campaign.

As for red, the Madras Sappers and Miners are the only unit I am aware of that wore it during this campaign, according to one account of the battle of Hashin. They are thought to have been in khaki by the later stages of the campaign. Individual British officers are reported wearing red undress frocks too, though possibly not in action.

(This from the uniform section of Brian Robson's book "Fuzzy Wuzzy", which covers both Suakin campaigns.)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:35:55 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »
Perhaps this will offend passing button counters, but these are toys in a game when all is said and done. If you want a unit or two in scarlet coats, why not? Life's too short to get hung up on questions like that. :D
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:39 PM »
Perhaps this will offend passing button counters, but these are toys in a game when all is said and done. If you want a unit or two in scarlet coats, why not? Life's too short to get hung up on questions like that. :D

Get out.  :-I
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »

Indeed, but the man asked a question, so I presume he wants this information. What he does with it is his business, and I certainly won't judge him for any painting decisions he makes.

But if someone is actively seeking knowledge, I don't think advocating wilful ignorance is very helpful, though it is sadly fitting to the times we live in. "Who cares? Do what you like" is an answer the original poster could have come up with by himself and it doesn't help him in the slightest.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »
I don't think advocating wilful ignorance is very helpful, though it is sadly fitting to the times we live in. "Who cares? Do what you like" is an answer the original poster could have come up with by himself and it doesn't help him in the slightest.
I think if you read what I wrote again, and perhaps stopped to think about it for a moment before bashing the keyboard, you might understand that I was not advocating wilful ignorance; nor asking 'Who cares', as he already had his answer.
I was merely pointing out, in what I hoped was a light hearted way,that there is too much angst in what is a hobby, persued amongst friends, for relaxation and fun. It does n't do to take anything too seriously in that context if it deprives you of the pleasure you should have from a good game with friends ~ who would never mention that your figures might be wearing the wrong shade of khaki or have the wrong number of buttons.
But, of course, you are quite free to take an opposite viewpoint. Frankly I can't be bothered one way or the other.
David

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »
mmm - i'd be surprised if very many of us took our hobby to the nth degree when collecting/painting figures for a new project

However, this is military history when all said and done, so a cursory nod in the general direction of fact doesn't go amiss.

My NWF force turn out in our Sudan campaigns without anyone getting their knickers in a twist about whether they are carrying the correct rifle, water-bottle or what have you. However, when i ask for help/pointers i much prefer accurate replies [my apologies to the OP if i was off the mark] rather than "do whatever you feel" type replies, which, quite frankly, most of us will do anyway  :D

Just my £0.02

James

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »
For what it's worth mine are all in either grey serge, RMLI, KRRC, HCC, Berks, Black Watch, apart from the regts from India and the cavalry which are in Khaki, and a small token unit of West Kents in red as in Mike Snook's book.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »
Well turning to the original question for a moment.

Even the regiments that came from India where not uniformed in khaki, as at that time mostly Battalions make his own khaki, so there were big difference in shade.
Personally I have some units in khaki , in various shades, some in grey and some in red.