Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Timbor's Dux Britanniarum  (Read 5985 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Timbor's Dux Britanniarum
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Looking very good indeed!!! I also really like West Wind figures and have several in my Dux Brit levy units (and my WAB Arthurian armies in general)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 03:26:32 AM »
It has been a little while, but my hands have not been completely idle.  Fall brings with it hunting season here, and that eats up much of my brush time (not that I really mind  ;))

I have finished most of my arthurian force.  Just have my archers and commanders to paint up.  Here is a group shot of the levy:

and a closeup of the leading figures from each unit:

I am quite behind schedule on getting both armies up and painted, but really, what hobby plan ever gets done on time?  I do have my Saxons mounted on bases, so perhaps November will see more progress?

There are some more pictures and closeups on my blog if you care to take a look:  http://mylifeinmm.blogspot.ca/
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 03:08:23 AM »
Well, I did not forget about this project.  In fact, I had some Saxons painted before Christmas. I just didn't bother posting them until I had some more to show!

I have painted 3 groups of Saxon warriors - a mix of Foundry and GB metals, with the odd GB drunken viking snuck in for good measure.

A closeup of the 3 groups:

I am quite happy with how they turned out - painting time was roughly an hour or less per miniature.  I don't measure that closely, and sometimes I lapse into prolonged periods of staring at my painting desk while doing nothing.  lol

I have decided to try my Saxons and Arthurians out using SAGA rules first, as I think they will be easier to teach newcomers (so far nobody in my direct area is too interested in historical gaming... they all want their warmahordes and 40k-mobiles).  Any suggestions on which battleboard I should use for the Arthurians and which I should use for the Saxons? (I have all the expansions. so 12 boards to choose from)

Also, I have some closeups of a few of my favourite models on my blog if you care to take a look!

http://mylifeinmm.blogspot.ca/

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 07:18:53 AM »
Cool looking armies, well done! 8)
Regarding SAGA, we played Romans with the Anglo-Saxon battle board and their Germanic opponents with the original Viking one. Worked well enough. Haven't seen Raven's Shadow yet, possibly another option in there.

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
    • Wargamers Odds and Ends
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
Nice update.  They are really looking good.  How close are you to finishing out your starter armies?
Chris Stoesen

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 03:29:43 PM »
Thanks!

For the Romans, I have to finish the 4 skirmishers and the warlord and his 3 champions.

For the Saxons, I have to finish the 4 skirmishers, the warlord and his 3 champions, and the two units of 6 hearthguard.

If I want to use them as 4pt SAGA warbands, I just need to paint both warlords.

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
    • Wargamers Odds and Ends
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
Good deal.  The movement bases are very nice.  Did you make or buy them?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
Thanks!  I bought them from warbases in the UK, but will likely make my own in the future - their shipping costs were somewhat ridiculous, and they gave you no discount for large orders.  4ground supplements the shipping costs on large orders, and their stuff is really cheap.  They just don't make skirmish trays for this size.  I got my mdf bases from 4ground.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
 :o

This project is really starting to come together.

Both armies look fantastic and the bases are indeed superb!
 :-* :-* :-*

Looking forward to the next update.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 12:21:27 AM »
Lovely figures Timbor!
I really need to look at the West Wind figures again for my levies. Did you solely use the Rmano British ones or are there a few Irish figures in there as well?
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 12:42:50 AM »
Thanks!  The levy are all the Romano-British from West Wind, with about 3 Crusader figures mixed in the lot.  The West Wind figures are nice, but there was a good amount of flash that needed clearing during assembly.  There were a couple spots that were miscast/the flash obscured detail, but that was on the belt behind the shield, so it doesn't really affect the presentation of the figure.  The separate heads are nice, but a tad fiddly.  If I were to do a full army, I might do some with separate heads, but for the rest single pose is a bit more convenient, IMO.

I do have some of the West Wind Irish spearmen, but have not done anything with them yet.  I have a bunch of Crusader Irish with whom I plan to make a warband, so the West Wind Irish will likely not see action for a while yet.  Funny that the website does not have pictures for them.  Perhaps I should post some up in the future...