Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:54:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Richard III Appeal 24-25 Aug  (Read 10710 times)

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
Richard III Appeal 24-25 Aug
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:18:52 PM »
Good Afternoon all

You may have heard Richard III in the news today as work gets underway in a Leicester car park to try and find his possible final resting place. However, there's a bit more to the story and YOU, yes you, can play a part in it. Here's an appeal from the Richard III society;

Dear Friends and Ricardians

The search for Richard III's remains in Leicester is going ahead and Channel 4 are filming the dig.  However, they've said that 'unless something of significance is found', they don't believe there is a television audience interested in a full-length documentary about Richard.  If nothing much is found at the dig, all the footage will be binned.

There has never been a well-informed documentary setting out the full story of the historical Richard III, and this was a chance to tell viewers about the real Richard's life.  Channel 4's assessment is quite wrong, and your help is needed to prove it.  Help us to get Channel 4 to change their mind by leaving a message on their Online Form.  It takes less than 2 minutes.  This messaging campaign should take place on Friday 24 and Saturday 25 August.  If enough of us leave messages, it will show that an audience exists for a programme about Richard III.  This could help to get them to commission the documentary - no matter what is found at the dig!

It's very important to send your message on the 24th or the 25th so that a concentrated campaign gets their attention.  Friends overseas should join in, too - C4 sell their programmes abroad which means you will get to see it too!

This is the kind of message you might like to leave:

“I can’t wait to see your TV programme on Richard III and the search for his remains . It’s really exciting!  It doesn’t matter what is found at the dig, I just want to see a good documentary about this enigmatic  character.  Well done Channel 4 on covering this!  Let me know when I can tune in to discover all about the real, historical Richard III.”

This is the link to the Channel 4 feedback form www.channel4.com/4viewers/contact-us

N.B. Channel 4 will ask for your email address and postcode.  This is what they say: "We would like to publish your name and location (if available) with your comments.  However, please be assured that no other personal details would be published with your comments."   If you're overseas and need a UK postcode, you could choose from one of the following: DL3 OLE, DL3 8SD, NE3 4BH, NE16 4PE, NE21 5TF, KY11 9LP, EH3 6SF, RG9 2EE, TW1 9PD, DT11 8LX, EH45 8HB, WD6 2JP, DT11 8PU.

Thank you for your help on behalf of the R3 dig team in Leicester.

Phil Stone
Chairman

24 August 2012

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Richard III Appeal 24-25 Aug
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Phil,

Well said. I'll get to it ASAP.

Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
Isn't it a little dishonest to ask people who aren't from the UK to pretend that they are, considering UK viewing figures are what Channel 4 are concerned about?

I thought these Ricardians were all about "truth?" I guess not. Their request that people lie to Channel 4 like this seriously damages their credibility and integrity in my eyes. If they can advocate lying about this, then why not about other things? I don't see the point in substituting Tudor propaganda for Ricardian propaganda, and I have no conviction now that this wouldn't be the case.

So I'll pass.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
Isn't it a little dishonest to ask people who aren't from the UK to pretend that they are, considering UK viewing figures are what Channel 4 are concerned about?
Er. Is the call about broadcasting a documentary, or about making it?

If it's about making a documentary, Channel 4 will sell it abroad later, and we'll be able to watch it on Arte or some other channel.

I don't see the point in substituting Tudor propaganda for Ricardian propaganda
Ooooh. UK politics are still much more complicated than I thought... :o
How many Tudorian MPs vs Ricardian MPs were elected in the last election? ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:24:09 PM »
If you need a UK postcode to leave a comment, then clearly what they are after is the opinions of UK viewers. Spamming them with the opinions of "fake" UK viewers from around the world is clearly dishonest.

How many Tudorian MPs vs Ricardian MPs were elected in the last election? ;)

At the last election I voted for the Angevins, but the Jacobite candidate won in my constituency.  :-[

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:07:40 PM »
well that lasted long.......

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries.

Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to make a documentary based on a search for Richard III's remains; however, please be assured that your comments have been passed on to our Commissioning Department so that they are aware of the interest this would receive.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4 and for your interest in our programming.

Sorry about that chaps, I got a bit hasty

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:08:06 PM »
What a shame.  I certainly would have watched - had it later shown up on BBC America or PBS her in the States.  I like my roses white, and have always thought Richard got a very raw deal from Shakespeare (and Sir Thomas).  Henry VII even looks like  a weasel!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:17:51 PM »
At the last election I voted for the Angevins, but the Jacobite candidate won in my constituency.  :-[
I would have voted Leveller, but they took my candidate out and shot him, and the Diggers are just too radical.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
I would have voted Leveller, but they took my candidate out and shot him, and the Diggers are just too radical.
Er. What are they Digging for? ??? OK, I'm just a foreigner, no answer needed, I'll Wiki this to understand why it's difficult to Level what others have been Digging for  ::) ??? lol

What's wrong with the Jacobites? They were on the French side :D
I know some old French texts where king James is officially mentioned as the "King of England in St-Germain" (near Paris... in exile)  :D

No need to apologize. Keep on trying, and some day they'll do it.

One day I'll tell you how we prevented a rubbish dump to be installed near a medieval battlefield, here in Brittany about twelve years ago. We pestered the town council with messages and demonstrations, and myself I took part in a demo where I walked in medieval costume with some rubbish (tins, plastic bottles, etc) chained to my ankle, etc, and after some time all this helped the local citizens to protest, and the Mayor lost his seat in the town election, and the rubbish dump was never built and the battlefield is still there. It works!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:39:34 PM »

What's wrong with the Angevins? They were French.   :)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 12:00:37 AM »
GOOD ONE! Congratulations lol ...It took me a few minutes to understand where was the problem :D
OK I surrender. What's wrong with all them?

Well, the Angevins were French ...when the Bretons were still not French, so they were foreigners for me!

BUT the Jacobites were on the French side ...when the Bretons had become French, so... well.

OOops I'll get an headache soon, that's an historical role-playing for me, I've been re-enacting these two periods (medieval, and c.1700) and that's two different nationalities while being the same.

OOoops again, out of topic, sorry.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »

Not really, well no more than they were English or from Aquitaine  ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
well that lasted long.......

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries.

Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to make a documentary based on a search for Richard III's remains; however, please be assured that your comments have been passed on to our Commissioning Department so that they are aware of the interest this would receive.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4 and for your interest in our programming.

I got the same answer... but it does no harm to let them know that there are people interested in this sort of stuff.  ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
Not really, well no more than they were English or from Aquitaine  ;)

8) 8) :) :D :D

True.

Darrell.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »
Thing is...if they actually find him and dig him up..won´t he get the hump?
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia