Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hope I have not asked this before  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Hope I have not asked this before
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
I have had some senior moments this year and may have asked this earlier this year, apologies if so.

I am intrigued by the 1861-1862 battles in and around Missouri and the territories that would become New Mexico and Arizona.  Battles that caught my attention varied in size from three to six thousand on a side (Pea Ridge, Arkansas, getting into the ten thousand plus on a side range.)

Storage would be a driving factor as I reduce the amount of square feet I use in anticipation of retirement and down sizing.  I am avoiding skirmish because it would require the use of a size (25+) figure I am trying to not expand my use of.  I don't think I want a new size of figures (10/15/20 mm) because that means new terrain/storage also.  

Besides debating the use of 1:600 scale figures I (more importantly and the driving force of this post) am in search for a set of rules that would work at that size of battle.  Terrain at that scale would be something I could add to my storage with little impact but all is for naught without working rules.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Croaker343

• Assistant
Re: Hope I have not asked this before
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:52:40 PM »
Are you looking for a full rule set, or a core/primer rule set that you can modity to your liking?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »
Are you looking for a full rule set, or a core/primer rule set that you can modity to your liking?

Either works, complete being (in theory) more ideal.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:06:39 PM »
In the Big Muddy Historical Gaming Alliance Yahoo group it was (duh on me, considering people involved I should have seen that coming,) suggested Regimental Fire and Fury would work since it was easy to learn.

I have played a F&F set several times at local conventions (no idea which variety) and found it not so easy to understand (but then I got a five minute explanation before each game started several years apart.)  Perhaps that is just me?

Regiment ~ Battalion IIRC (and I may be easily wrioand that would ideally be 10 companies or 1,000 men.  Like that TO&E happened often in the 1861 - 1892 far West battles, LOL!

ACW in general has been a tangential interest area until recent years and only the Far West and early Missouri battles have attracted my reading.  Started reading Grant's Memoirs (loaned from a friend at work) and scheduled for a Staff ride (based on INTEL issues and how they apply today) about Wilson's Creek (on site training) via the Agency in very early September so my base knowledge will be expanding a bit in the near future.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Croaker343

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »
Glenn,

Here is a link to a primer for "Fire and Maneuver".  http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.269878913059135.60614.258863347494025&type=3.  Just print out the 12 photo in the album to get the entire primer.

It is a non-complicated core set of rules that you can build upon to customize for the period would like to play in.  I know the persom who wrote the primer, and helped play test a few historical scenarios in WWII and one in ACW with this core rule set.

I am currently working on a write up for my custom rules ACW with this primer as the basis.  Once I complete it and play test a for a while, I will post it for any one who may be interested.

This link (http://www.facebook.com/#!/battlebook) is to the main page with a number of interesting historical and miniature tidbits.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »

Regiment ~ Battalion IIRC (and I may be easily wrong) and that would ideally be 10 companies or 1,000 men.  

Like that TO&E happened often in the 1861 - 1892 far West battles, LOL!

Since no one has corrected me I am going to assume that the above was theoretically correct.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:54:36 PM by Conquistador »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:56:40 PM »
Glenn,

Here is a link to a primer for "Fire and Maneuver".  http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.269878913059135.60614.258863347494025&type=3.  Just print out the 12 photo in the album to get the entire primer.

It is a non-complicated core set of rules that you can build upon to customize for the period would like to play in.  I know the persom who wrote the primer, and helped play test a few historical scenarios in WWII and one in ACW with this core rule set.

I am currently working on a write up for my custom rules ACW with this primer as the basis.  Once I complete it and play test a for a while, I will post it for any one who may be interested.

This link (http://www.facebook.com/#!/battlebook) is to the main page with a number of interesting historical and miniature tidbits.

For professional reasons I stay away from Facebook - I told my adult children I would consider something like that after 2016 - but that does sound like it has a lot of potential.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Croaker343

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »
Glenn,

I have a .pdf file of the primer.  If you are interested, pm your email address to me and I can send it to you.

Carlos.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »
Received and appreciated.

Reading/digesting.

Gracias,

Glenn