Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:52:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690981
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Akky's Planet of the Apes Project -Salute photos added (29th April)  (Read 33064 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
A ragtag band of humans, led by an astronaut from another time, battle against an overwhelming army of apes in the ruins of an ancient city.

---------------------------------------------------

Based loosely around the background created in the Original Planet of the Apes/Beneath the POA films - set roughly 1950 years in the future (ie before Taylor destroys the Earth with the Alpha Omega bomb).

I was going to set my project in the ruins of London, but Andym has done such a god job of his Ruined London Board (for Crooked Dice) that I thought i'd do something different instead, and so I opted for Washington DC.  

Most of the city along with much of the rest of civilisation was destroyed in a nuclear war, but certain landmark buildings are still at least partially recognisable....my rationale is that DC was taken out by an airburst rather than a direct impact, so some signs of civilisation remain, particularly those buildings made more from stone (like the Monument).

I'm going to mess around with ground scale etc - i'm using 28mm figures (so c1/55th) but the buildings will be 1/100th and the actual ground scale more like 1/400th to give me a playable table.

Carved this over the last week or so - foam card structure clad with 5mm foam...something like 7200 blocks give or take   :loopy:  The Washington Monument would be c10' if I stuck to 1/55 - at 1/100th it would be c5' 6" but as you can see its had a bit of wear and tear, and the current structure is only 4' tall....the base is 6.5" and tapers upwards.  

Still very much a WIP - undecided whether to add some vines, and foliage at the top - just because New York was a desert in POTA it doesnt mean that DC has to be so barren....

Once i've finished this, and the bit that fell off i'm going to build what is left of the Lincoln Memorial, plus maybe the White House....

Figures will be a mix of Eureka's OOP pota range, the more recent Boiler suited Apes, some conversions using CD's Simian heads (and bodies once they are available).

BTW - if you have any of the original Eureka POTA figures (ie not the boiler suited ones) please PM me, as i've only got a handful...

:)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:38:49 PM by AKULA »

Online voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Akky's Planet of the Apes Project - Washington Monument
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »
Are you making new boards for this or recycling some of the others?
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »
Are you making new boards for this or recycling some of the others?

New boards - i'm going to incorporate some underground features - had originally considered doing something similar for my WW1 Fantasy game but I ran out of time before Salute.  POTA also offers the opportunity for some significant earthquake activity (as well as a nuclear war) so its fair to say that DC will be pretty much unrecognisable....   lol

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:23:27 PM »
Grab some brother vinni's Brotherhood of steel and you've got yourself some fallout.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »
please PM me, as i've only got a handful...

Have you tried e-mailing Nic Robson at Eureka? If the moulds still exist, he might cast you up a batch.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
Have you tried e-mailing Nic Robson at Eureka? If the moulds still exist, he might cast you up a batch.

I tried that a while ago with the Eureka Space Weasels (Aliens), but he said he'd trashed the molds. Still worth a try though. The Weasels were a lot more high profile at the time… :(

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
That is some great work!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »
The guy from eureka is having a garage sale of sorts soon and he say's he isn't selling anything listed on the site. He may have so OOP models lying around. I'll see if he's got any and pick you up some if he has.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer, but I've already been in touch with Nic and he doesn't have any of the minis left (or the moulds any longer to make more) - I don't want to turn the thread into a discussion about the OOP minis, but like i said if anyone does have some for sale, please PM me....  ;)

Anyway, back to the terrain building....

The plan is to have an L-shaped table - the Lincoln Memorial will be at the top of the L, the Washington Monument at the bottom left, and a pile of rubble at the bottom right of the L where the White House would have been.

I could go with the desert wasteland theme of the original theme - it would certainly be pretty quick to do - alternatively I could have a bit more vegetation.....undecided.  

What I do want to have is some shift in the land itself, caused by an earthquake....which gives me room to make some more interesting terrain on table, and exposure the entrance to an underground tunnel network.....

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:34:15 PM by AKULA »

Online voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
Overgrown swamp so you can play Logan's run aswell. :D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 06:34:06 PM »

Excellent....I start a Planet of the Apes thread, and on the first page you gits try to get me to start a Fallout and a Logan's Run project....

lol

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 04:48:24 AM »
mmmm.... Logans Run.... I'll file it with the other couple of hundred never to done project ideas.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »

Drat! Someone beat me to it.

Excellent....I start a Planet of the Apes thread, and on the first page you gits try to get me to start a Fallout and a Logan's Run project....

lol

So I shouldn't mention an Ark II project then? At least that show had a talking monkey, so it sorta fits.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
DC was built on a swamp, so its return to that state would make sense.
- Scott

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 04:53:20 PM »
Has anyone got an idea of the layout of the Lincoln memorial (ie in terms of the placement of walls etc) ?

I'm probably going to have it at least partially collapsed but would be useful to have a vague idea - most photos are either from miles away, or just focussed upon the Abe statue...