Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: fed up with stupid blog posts & ebay listings.  (Read 11189 times)

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
Re: fed up with stupid blog posts & ebay listings.
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
With 3468 members there are bound to be many different ways that individuals get value from the forum.

For example I can get quite bored when the painting league is on.  However I have absolutely no problem with my unread items list being filled with posts about it as I fully understand that for many members this is inspirational stuff with each round being eagerly anticipated.

Each to their own.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »
Surely if you want to contribute to the forum most of the stuff on your blog can be added here with little to no extra effort, ie cut and paste. You could still add extra pictures etc to the blog or further info without making life difficult for yourself.

There do seem to be more and more blog/ebay listings lately, I noticed this recently. I understand that it is a good way to get traffic to your blog but as stated you are more likely to reach a wider audience here on LAF and get more comments this way.

Just my say anyway.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
Maybe the answer would be a BLOG LINK board, that way those that like to follow a blog can get a regular update of new listings and those that dont can bypass.
Maybe an option in your personal settings to block this....

As for ebay listings: I agree.
Maybe a seperate 'sticky' in the Bazar for ebay listings. That way you can choose whether or not you want to view them.
Easy for Mods to move as well, I believe.
No need for anything to be deleted then.

On a personal note, the Bazar has been great for me, as I have sold plenty of excess stuff and bought items that I was unaware even existed.

As for adding content, I believe that I do, but those that only add content to the Bazar should be sent to meet Mr Matakishi (and his cat) who will be waiting in a dark alley with a pair of garden shears!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:41:04 AM by Mason »

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 08:37:41 PM »
It is!

In one other respect blog links are also self-defeating..... I usually browse on a mobile device and blogs  generally render so badly that even if I wanted to bother there wouldn't be any point.

Yeah this is an issue for me too. Blog links in the signature is all you need. Share the full content of the post on the forum, if people like it they will likely visit your blog. This has been the case for me with some people on here. Content has made me click their blog link, not a thread title.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: FED UP WITH STUPID BLOG POSTS!!!!!! AND BLOODY EBAY
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
Add what you have :)
Besides, unless you're running a blog that generates money and is desperate for the cash, you can probably post the whole entry here and get far more feedback and praise than to hide it off somewhere. And people will probably go to your blog and read more in the end.

I agree with RedZed (despite the capital letters). Courtesy and giving people the option to look at your thread :)
However, it doesn't upset me as much as the bazaar-cowboys filling up page after page with their stuff and never ever giving a donation to LAF:

I have to say all my projects are here in full. I dont do blogs, ultimately each on my threads is a blogette and I'm happy to continue to share, advise, inspire (hopefully) and be inspired, drool and moan, (abit) in this forum.

But like most people here I'm sick of parasitic ebayers who do not contribute in any way other than to line their pockets, and lets face it, you know who you are, cause you manage to piss people off on the other forums you've arrived at of late....
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: FED UP WITH STUPID BLOG POSTS!!!!!! AND BLOODY EBAY
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 12:39:07 AM »
I have to say all my projects are here in full. I dont do blogs, ultimately each on my threads is a blogette and I'm happy to continue to share, advise, inspire (hopefully) and be inspired, drool and moan, (abit) in this forum.

Ditto.
I am with the Commander on this one.
 :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 12:54:36 AM »
Although I hate to admit it, amongst the dreadful "extras" that TMP sprouted over the past few years there was one gem......the stifle button.

Designed to avoid viewing flaming or abusive posters it had a far more useful and valuable side function.

All the "US buyers only" sellers, persistent ebay link posters, overpriced/unrealistic sellers, tiresome "gentle bump"ers.......many of whom unfortunately post here as well could just be "stifled". Add them to your "stifle" list and never again, even by accident would you need to see one of their worthless posts......have to say there are 4 or 5 regular offenders on the bazaar that would be obvious candidates for the list.

Best of all it followed the culprit, irrespective of how many times they changed user ID and log ins.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 03:37:54 AM »
So basically if you've got a blog don't post here then?

While we're at it can each member pick something they don't like and we'll stop that too?

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 04:05:08 AM »

While we're at it can each member pick something they don't like and we'll stop that too?

Why don't we just take a break and consider all the "problems" mentioned here.

No one is saying - if you've got a blog, don't post here.

Peopel are saying - don't make a post with only a couple of lines redirecting to your blog. That's not posting, that's just redirecting traffic to a blog. Ok, the poster did an excelent job writing on his blog, he doesn't feel the need to make a post on the forum - he's in his rights. But what about doing a copy/paste of his material from the blog to the forum instead of just pasting a link? That would be my solution and there are lots of member who already do that!

As for the Ebay listings - we have to be honest, there's only a couple of guys who do that kind of thing. Maybe the moderators can talk with them? Or maybe they'll look at this thread and change their Ebaymongering-ways in shame?  ???

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 07:52:02 AM »
not worth my answer on this subject actually

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:50:32 AM by shadowking1957 »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »

::)

When was that ever suggested?  :?If you have a blog then post pics here and link to your blog, which you do Phil. It's empty threads that cause the issue and the problems. empty threads do not support the forum and as you know it's not that difficult to add pics to threads as

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »
I am here to look at pictures & read content. Often I am looking from work. Ebay & blogs are often blocked. So if there is nothing there but a link, I have wasted my time.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »
when I came in here first about a year or so, I was astonished about the community here. There were so many links to sites I would never have dreamed of, that in about a few weeks I had some odd 100 bookmarks in my firefox ... new ones, I should add ^^

But though I like all the blogs I found by reading and rummaging, I also LOVE the threads and the atmosphere in HERE. Very kind, yet very professional! However, I also vote for more information when talking about linking blogs in here. I do NOT want to stop them linking their blogs, cause I mostly enjoy them all to well! But it would be nice to have cool teasers, too!

In the end ... one is having fun with the new thread (view it as an abstract to You blog ^^) and there will be even more fun, when reading the complete stuff!

So, nowaday (I guess we all are iNet pros this way ot that) it is so easy to throw in some links, pix and a bit of html-code-something, that it cannot be all that difficult to make some cool apetizers. If done, NO ONE will or would dare to argue versus some cool linked blogs, quite the oposite! After we are some sort of a network of nerds, but it's nice to know where You are linked to.

just my 2cts (maybe 4 ...) - best wishes
DK
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »
I don't get the chance to visit daily, but even if I do there are often 4-5 pages of unread...This is quite daunting when time is short.  And it is not a measure of how popular LAF has become because, as others have already said, much of the posting is lacking in content.

I accept the decision about Blogs, it's the Prof's call, but personally, I doubt I click on more than one in ten so perhaps the Bloggers should realize that they are possibly not getting the result they expect.   ::)

I have my own website and there is a link in my signature.  I really only mention it specifically if I have done a big update, and that isn't very often.   :?  In fact, I often post photos here before it's on the Website.

As for the Bazaar, well, as someone who has both sold and bought through it I would say it has become too dominant and serious consideration should be given to just closing it down.  After all, there is nothing to say that a forum like this has to have a buy and sell area.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:44:23 AM by Orctrader »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »
There's too much crap on this forum now, films, books, tv, pets, family, holidays, music; most of it without the slightest connection to the main focus of the board.

That's just wrong. We have about 20 only wargaming boards with only wargaming content and only one Open Talk where is allowed to post non-wargaming stuff. If I meet my wargaming friends outside of forum we're talking about everything, our families, music, movies etc. The same here. I never said this forum is only for wargaming discussions. That's the reason because we have Open Talk. You can like it or not but we had this board from the beginning of the forum and it will stay here.

And now I'm going to close this topic. I don't like the direction of this discussion. This thread is certainly not a LAF-one.  Here is nothing LAFish, this is becoming to a "witch-hunt". Hunt of ebayers, bloggers, now open-talkers. There are rules here and these rules do allow all this at the moment, so  live with it or stay away. Your choice.