Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:13:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My North Pacific Board - UPDATE 19/4 2015 p.10 - Better pics  (Read 44650 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: My North Pacific Modular board (which I already hate)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 12:34:41 AM »
My fevered imagination had pictured the scenario as a battle scarred A&R man from a major record label trekking into the woods around Seattle to 'terminate with extreme prejudice' the lead singer of a highly derivative 'grunge rock' band based in the Pacific North West. I was already imaging the culminating scene with our hero reporting back, "Mr Kurt, he dead".

Beautiful work on the trees btw.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 12:40:03 AM »
 :-*

Well done!

Looks like it's going to be a great board and fun to play on.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 09:15:48 AM »
great looking boards on their own...

how do they look all together? is there a decent transition from woodland to forest?

love the forest especially, looks really good - where are the ferns from?

Offline Henrix

• Scientist
  • Fernwright
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 11:43:27 AM »
The ferns are fronds from miniature palm trees sold by Everestmodel on eBay. Here's the thread about it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:46:06 AM by Henrix »
--

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »

The "old forest" board would be perfect to play a what if Japanese invasion of British Colombia 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »
Or hell be like my great grandpa and run booze from Canada :P
I have the same set up for my campaign start. Just that it's some serious moonshining going on that will show to be something different in the end :)
how do they look all together? is there a decent transition from woodland to forest?
Well, to be honest they still look daft when put together. Since I've been working with one board a time, and then put it in my gaming club, I haven't been able to do the transition work yet. But I hope to do it when these four are done. There's also an issue of the pieces looking like pieces even when put together, so I'm experementing with some ultra thin plastic card which I intend to flock and muck around with until it looks descent :)

@Carlos: You wish! lol

Thanks for the great support guys! This really spurs me to finish of the other stuff as soon as possible. Even thoug that's impossible considering my time issues :)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
Terrific work! 8)

I've been toying with the idea of making a large tree forest for ages as well, but since I have no place to store any terrain at the moment, it has been put on hold for the time being. Still, once I finish my dedicated game-room, I will be all over varied terrain projects like my wife over a clothing sale!

My plan is to make the trees and the ferns all seperate though, so I can move them around when the situation dictates it. Loads of ferns on individual bases, so I can still move miniatures through them. And the trees would be very much alike yours; just the trunks showing, with the canopy out of sight for ease of play.

I'm planning to source suitable branches in the woods and cut and paint them in the appropriate shapes and colours. Yours look very real though; most excellent indeed!

I know you had a seperate thread in which you were looking for the ferns, but I might as well ask here; which ones did you eventually use here? They look really good. Are they aquarium plants?

Keep up the good work; it's coming together really well and I love the results so far. I will be following this... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »
I know you had a seperate thread in which you were looking for the ferns, but I might as well ask here; which ones did you eventually use here? They look really good. Are they aquarium plants?
I can't honestly tell, otherwise the chin... I mean Not-chinese supplier might get a wiff of the demand and thus increasing prices. Can't really afford that price increase!

Seriously, I bought these in a 100 for 6 quid :) Well, there was about 75 or so, but still, rather cheap :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310419510181?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It's N-scale palm trees. A bitch to cut of before you learn the trick, but in the end they look alright when banded together in dozens. However, they take paint very badly, so I might opt to "dip" them in green and some varnish next time make sure that the colour sticks better. And I did highlight most plants individually, but it doesn't really show that on the photo :D

The more dark green ferns are these palm trees:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160859309001?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

O-Scale. But the ferns turned out to be almost the same size. So I basically could've bought 200 (150 or whatever) instead of a mere 20 of these, and 100 of the N-scale ones.

Hope it helps!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 03:28:03 PM »
Very effective-looking.  Love the big tree trunks

8)

Offline Mr Pommeroy

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
I really like the mood of the "old forest" board, very nice ferns, well done!

Pmmerory.

Offline Henrix

• Scientist
  • Fernwright
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »
However, they take paint very badly, so I might opt to "dip" them in green and some varnish next time make sure that the colour sticks better.
I found them fairly easy to drybrush with thick paint.
Otherwise I recommend water soluble oil paint (or real oil paint if you don't mind the turpentine).

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 07:20:39 AM »
As a coastal BC resident, I have to say that main big tree and fern board is awesome - most wargaming terrain is kind of generic, but that really does look like a scene I could find an hour or so outside of town!

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 07:52:35 AM »
As a coastal BC resident, I have to say that main big tree and fern board is awesome - most wargaming terrain is kind of generic, but that really does look like a scene I could find an hour or so outside of town!
Cheers!
I did do a lot of research for this and the big inspiration was this:

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:55 AM »
Looking forward to seeing some of those when I visit BC next month.  :)
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »
That board is just superb. I like the way you have done the tree trunks  (idea stolen)
Are the trees ready made or home made? they look fantastic and I would like to hear how you do them.