Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Superhero figures WIP thread  (Read 3075 times)

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Superhero figures WIP thread
« on: October 05, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »
This will be the thread here on the LAF that I keep for my work on Superhero miniatures. 

Currently, I am doing some superhero sculpts as practice.  I will eventually have at least a couple different teams, the Thunderbolts (Luke Cage version) and the Squadron Supreme.

Here is what I have so far:

Crossbones WIP.  This is pretty much how he stands.  I am still trying to find more inspiration to work on him...  I also need to either find or create guns for him which is mostly why I am stalled on him.  I am thinking of redoing his head as well.

Hyperion WIP.  I'm still struggling with heads and hands, which is why he has neither. Lol.  I hope to get something that I am satisfied with soon so I can call him done and move on.

I have posted these to a few forums looking for feedback, so if you have seen them before, I apologize.

Thanks everyone for looking.  Comments and criticism welcome (and desired!)

~Eric

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: Superhero figures WIP thread
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
The sculpting looks good. I wouldn't think of Hyperion being that beefy, but I haven't read any comics for a while so I'm not up to date.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »
Hyperion is typically portraited that beefy. It's a parody of Superman, after all. As far as I know, only the Supreme Power version is realistically proportionated. Some pics...

And regarding weapons for Crossbones, Hasslefree Minis have a nice range of them, that you can find here:
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=armoury~sci%252dfi

And Reaper Minis also sell some packs. Just type "weapons" in their Figure Finder:
http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline leegwonfu

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »
They both look really nice - Hyperion especially so.

If heads and hands are a problem for you, I'd suggest sculpting the head(s) separately, then you'd be able to attach them when you get one that you feel is up to snuff. As for the hands, they're definitely difficult to sculpt, but fists the size of Hyperion's shouldn't be as tough as a smaller figs.

Definitely keep at it!

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »
The sculpting looks good. I wouldn't think of Hyperion being that beefy, but I haven't read any comics for a while so I'm not up to date.

Thanks!  As Ajsalium pointed out, he is a Superman equivalent and is typically drawn pretty beefy.  Having said that, it looks to me like the picture has flattened him out a bit more than he appears in hand.  His arms are pretty gigantic, but I'm not sure his torso is that wide in reality.

Hyperion is typically portraited that beefy. It's a parody of Superman, after all. As far as I know, only the Supreme Power version is realistically proportionated. Some pics...

And regarding weapons for Crossbones, Hasslefree Minis have a nice range of them, that you can find here:
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=armoury~sci%252dfi

And Reaper Minis also sell some packs. Just type "weapons" in their Figure Finder:
http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder

Thanks for the picture assist.  And thanks for reminding me that Hasslefree does modern style guns as well as their scifi stuff.  I will definitely be getting some guns from them for this sculpt as well as possibly for others.

They both look really nice - Hyperion especially so.

If heads and hands are a problem for you, I'd suggest sculpting the head(s) separately, then you'd be able to attach them when you get one that you feel is up to snuff. As for the hands, they're definitely difficult to sculpt, but fists the size of Hyperion's shouldn't be as tough as a smaller figs.

Definitely keep at it!

Thanks!

I am definitely going to try to do his head separately.  I don't want to do his hands separately though.  I need to learn to get that down, plus there is a lot of interplay between the hand and forearms that I don't want to leave out.  Or try not too, anyway.   :)

Couple of blasts from the past, circa 2007:

Heroclix Jean Grey conversion.  Not much sculpting done, as I recall.  Just added the leg bands, I think.

Heroclix Dreadnought conversion.  Lots of sculpting here.  I call him Pharaoh now.  This is an unpainted WIP.

I need to dig them out so I can use them as well.

THought I'd throw them up for your perusal since I don't have any appreciable updates on the two sculpts yet.  Been pretty busy and a bit sick.

Back at it soon though.

Thanks for looking.

~Eric

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »
That Dreadnought conversion is really awesome. I neve liked the original clix, so your conversion is just  :o :o :o

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »
That Dreadnought conversion is really awesome. I neve liked the original clix, so your conversion is just  :o :o :o

:)

Thanks!  I'm glad you like him.  The design for that character never made a whole lot of sense to me. Lol.

I will try to get better pictures of him when I make it home tomorrow.

~Eric