Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690839
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I know it's been said...but I need to hear it...BUILDINGS!  (Read 18767 times)

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
I know it's been said...but I need to hear it...BUILDINGS!
« on: November 14, 2012, 01:32:20 AM »
OK, gents. I've sold off most of my board game collection and I'll likely have at least 500 bucks to buy materials and whatnot for my soon-to-be-awesome pulp buildings.

But I have a conundrum.

There are ~SO MANY SCALES~.

I love the look of the Hovels 25mm buildings. But I don't think they'll look to be in scale with my Uncle Mike's stuff. In fact, I'm almost considering just selling the Uncle Mike's stuff so that I can use Copplestone and Grenadier sized stuff, since there's so much more of it out there and they all match up scale.

But back to my initial point...

Should I be looking at Hovels, or JR Miniatures, or Pegasus Hobby.... or should I really be looking at O/O27 scale Plasticville stuff and modify it to be...Dunwichy.

I'm just having a hell of a time with this. I guess it really boils down to me wanting to have oldben1's Gilman House and Mason's .. everything! .. but have it all line up scalewise with the miniatures.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Re: I know it's been said...but I need to hear it...BUILDINGS!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:07:26 AM »
For the price, you can't beat the plasticville stuff, it paints up nice, and is easy to convert since it's plastic.
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:15:16 AM »
Im also looking for some buildings, and so far I like Hovels buildings, they are a bit small i know, and I'm still thinking about if I can live with the scale difference. I like the style of the Hovels buildings, and they require no assembly. Hovels are cheap also, compared to other manufacturers.

I have been looking at different sets of Laser-cut buildings, but somehow I don't fancy them. most manufacturers burn the brick patterns into MDF board, but not very deep, just a normal coat of paint seems to cover it, I can't comprehend why they don't burn the brick pattern a but wider and deeper. These buildings also look too artificial because there are no smooth rounded shapes at all. Pro's are most are true to even large 28mm scale, but they require a lot of work to look really great.

Sadly I don't know anything about Plasticville products.
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:32:03 AM »
I'll sell you the Gilman house for 500.  That should solve your problems >:D

I like Plasticville, very easy to paint and modify.  I can show you all the models to buy for a good innsmouth table for around 150.  There are really though only about 4 or 5 buildings for rural America.

if you want something less urban though, I would probably go with Hovels. Look around this site, Hovels stuff looks pretty good if you have the money.  You could even mix it with Armorcast Hollow stuff for diversity.  My Dunwich/ rural boad will be a lot smaller but I really like what Mason did.  I think Bergh is right, most buildings are not going to be perfect anyways.  I have only used the monsters from Uncle Mikes because I like the sculpts so I can comment on their human height.  Buildings are not really in scale anyways.  Atrue Gilman house would be huge.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:46:15 AM »
OldBen1:500 Belarus Rubles it is! SOLD! ;) Please, let me know about Innsmouth, because that's PRECISELY what I'm doing - an Innsmouth with some docks and a Dunwich area with a hill.

Bergh: I know, mate! So pretty! But the problem I have with the Hovels stuff is that there's no possibility for interiors, and I rather fancy house-to-house battles. Regarding the laser-cut stuff, I agree as well, BUT....the best thing about that is that you can put plaster/spackle on it and make the models "stucco". That is EXACTLY what I'm buying for my "Egypt" stuff. I have some JR Miniatures Middle East stuff which is just smashing, and I was thinking of using that stuff as the "slums" and use the Gamecraft Miniatures stuff as the "nice area".

Thanks so very much for the advice. Great stuff!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:51:51 AM by superflytnt »

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:03:13 AM »
If you fancy interior buildings, Laser-cut MDF  is the way to go I think, require alot of work, but as I understand that don't bother you, and almost the best thing with putting work into the buildings, is that its going to be your own creation.

I'm abit of building lazy, so I'm properly going to buy 6-7 of those hovels buildings, for some Dunwich action. People advice on the board says its better to have abit smallish buildings then true 28mm scale, don't know if this is true or not.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 03:25:43 AM »
If you can find them, look for the old Ertl Cow town or Farm town. They are the same western buildings. Cow town comes with old west signage and western accessories. Farm town comes with more modern accessories. And they look alright with the Plasticsville buildings.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:27:17 AM by HerbyF »
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:36:47 AM »
Yeah, I'd really like to hear about those buildings good for Innsmouth, as I would like to do a junky town with lots of hybrids.
Mike D

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:18:31 AM »
Sounds like we need to start another thread with possible Innsmouth Plasticville.  I'll work on it this week.

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 04:40:33 AM »
Sounds like we need to start another thread with possible Innsmouth Plasticville.  I'll work on it this week.
Good idea. If we follow the canon background, Innsmouth is a bigger and more modern town then Dunwich?
Brick houses and coppled roads?

Where Dunwich is wooden houses in a old Civil war style almost, with dirt roads even in the center of the town.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 05:05:02 AM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:08:46 AM by superflytnt »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »
When you asked me where I got all the buildings that I used on my last set-up, I did reply to you, at length.

Here is the reply:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=39808.1050

I cannot recommend PMC games highly enough for your particular needs, but postage over the pond may be exorbitant, I warn you!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
Totally agree with Mason. PMC is fantastic and even with shipping you have a prepainted building for 15-20 euros. Awesome price IMO.
The only downside is the smell of the resin...;)

Main thing with them is the shipping time. Be prepared to wait at least a month for them. It's normal, so don't sweat if it takes long.

Other good stuff:
http://www.fenrisgames.com/shop.html#!/~/product/category=2425297&id=11083263
http://www.ziterdes.de/ziterdes/en/produkte/listview.php?catID=64&subcatID=67
http://www.gelaendestuecke.de/onlineshop/index.php?cat=c6_industry--houses---ruins-industry--houses---ruins.html
http://www.fantasy-gelaende-modelle.de/fantasy/haeuser_3.htm
http://rustyrail.com/OShacksCastingsOscalePage.htm
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
I'd agree with the PMC comments; their stuff is great value, I have about 25 buildings from them. It can take a bit of time to arrive but it's a small business with a popular product so I don't mind that. I've made many orders and have never been let down. Postage can be high but they are heavy items. I've had parcels that cost more to send than I've paid in postage.

I use mine mainly for WotR, Napoleonics and WWII and I want to build a small coastal settlement for a Home Guard campaign that could also double as a deep one settlement without much fuss. I can't decide whether to go New England (which might be more work) or North East England for the deep one set up though. If I go New England I'm tempted to supplement with the new Sarisssa Precision North American range. The only problem is I'm running out of space to store them (and paying for it all)!

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
When you asked me where I got all the buildings that I used on my last set-up, I did reply to you, at length.
Yes, and between that post and the responses to Bergh's questions about 1920's architecture, I've been given quite the education! But my question is really less about "which buildings are out there" as much as scale.

I cannot recommend PMC games highly enough for your particular needs, but postage over the pond may be exorbitant, I warn you!

I like the PMC stuff, but I've read more than my fair share of horror stories with people waiting 2 months, people not getting things at all and having to hunt the guy down...but like you said, you really can't beat the price and quality.

I looked at that Sarissa stuff...2MM MDF, though? We're talking about some seriously thin material...I'd be afraid to break it! :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:15:44 PM by superflytnt »