Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 01:48:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WIP: Antenociti's NRF 'Komodo' 2&3...  (Read 9763 times)

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
    • DWARTIST'S PAINTING BLOG
Re: WIP: Antenociti's NRF 'Komodo'...
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »
I really like your paint job, but that 'hand' doesn't look right. Obviously it's not your fault your it's just the model, but I think if I buy it I'd do a hand swap!

There are other 'weapon' choices with the suit as well as the 'hand'. Basically you get a left and right arm to the wrist(?) joint and the weapon options fit either arm. The hand might look a little awkward because I broke one of the fingers off (my models are pre-production samples so cast totally in resin - I think metal will replace the less robust pieces) and replaced it - it may be slightly off.
@ Malebolgia - low contrast basically my 'style' I suppose...

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
...fuel rods added and minor start on 'weathering'

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
...on a temporary base.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »
Stunning work as usual, David ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 07:15:30 AM »
The paintjob is cracking...but I believe it needs one point of contrast somewhere.  Like a blaze orange/red number on a knee or shoulder or something. 

Something like this:

Just needs some contrast or something to draw the eye.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 08:29:53 AM »
Well, it most definitly will blend in when it's hidden in a jungle full of colourful exotic birds  lol
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:01 PM »
Well since we are all giving our 2 cents worth hers mine,

I think the problem with the right hand is it needs to be rotated to a more natural "human" angle. Probably 30 degrees clock ways.

The Weapon being almost the same color as the rest of the model give that arm a look of being part of it. This unbalances the model. I would do something to make it look like a separate piece. Something that could be bolted or un-bolted to the fighting suit as different weapons packages.

The Face plate could also have something done to it to make it stand out a bit. do these things and I don't think you need the camo. The model is interesting and when you Camouflage it I think it hides some of the detail. Perhaps a camo pattern as below BUT only in a few section like the legs and shoulder pads?

Pic out the grill work.

Just my thoughts, and this is your creation! we all have different taste and Im sure people looking at my stuff would and do have plenty of things they would do different!

Nice model all the same and thanks for the thread!

Bill

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys - I'm grateful for your interest! I think the hand is less of a hand and more a 'tool'. I've got another two on the go and will be weaponising both arms so I'll look forward to your comments then. Definitely no camo, though I may add some more markings around the suit and on the 'faceplate' (actually a hatch) as I agree - despite the differentt colour - it looks a little bland. I did consider painting the weapon a different colour too but wanted it to look as if it was part of the suit and on the model it's quite clear (though it might not be in the photos) that the weapon is detachable and therefore optional.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »
I've got another two on the go and will be weaponising both arms so I'll look forward to your comments then
Can't recall the parts breakdown... From the gun arm it looks like it's one piece up to the shoulder joint (the piece that's directly under the shoulder pad and can be mostly seen in the rear view), is this correct?

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:36 AM »
Can't recall the parts breakdown... From the gun arm it looks like it's one piece up to the shoulder joint (the piece that's directly under the shoulder pad and can be mostly seen in the rear view), is this correct?

One piece from the wrist to shoulder - the 'hand' arm' has a short forearm piece but the weapons connect directly to the wrist area. The other two suits are wip's and some of the pieces are still unattached for painting - I'll take a photo. Meantime here's Jed's pics of the suit in progress with one of the pics showing two of the weapons seperate from the suit. http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/news/2012/08/i-spy-with-my-little-eye-something-beginning-with-awesome/

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
I like it!

I agree that it needs quite a few more markings/ID numbers/stripes to help its visual interest along.

Weapons-wise, I think the green gun looks fine, but I would be tempted to add a bit more contrast by pushing the grey into a harder black in the recesses, and bringing up the green a little more with some brighter highlights to match those elsewhere on the suit.

The hand is off because the "thumb" appears to be on the wrong side (at least, it looks that way from the pix to me). Should be a simple fix which can easily be touched up afterwards?

Anyway, these are just my thoughts/nitpicks, and are not meant to overlook your fantastic paintjob.  8)

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
Re: WIP: Antenociti's NRF 'Komodo' 2&3...
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
...a second green one (having noted the various comments I've added the first of several markings - well-worn ID bands and a unit number)

and a white one (which will have orange ID bands)

Offline ork56

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
excellent pj as always - though I never tire of saying it/seeing them.

Agree with some of the comments on having a point of interest/contrast on the mini, but its your take on the mini.

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »
Lurvly.
Excellent chipping on those markings.
The white one's my fav.