Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:19:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anybody see Kingdom Death's kickstarter?  (Read 5470 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Anybody see Kingdom Death's kickstarter?
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:47:38 AM »
I'm not interested myself, but I was blown out of the water when I had a look. Not because the figures are anything amazing (the usual Kingdom Death stuff. They're well made, but their particular brand of oddly-scaled anime fleshy pulchritude is not typically my cuppa), but because they may just wind up putting Studio McVey to shame for the amount of money they're raisng.

They posted the starter just this afternoon. Their goal was $35,000. It has ALREADY broken well past $200,000. Hasn't even been 24 hours. In fact, I'm not even sure it's been 12 hours! Oh my stars and little comets.  o_o

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Anybody see Kingdom Death's kickstarter?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
Some cool minis in their too. I wasn't a fan of the other kingdom death stuff but this stuff looks really nice. That Phoenix miniature is very cool!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »
I was going to get involved but the miniatures look too fiddly and I know I'd never make them. Great concept though and lovely sculpting and presentation as always.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 01:35:50 PM »
I like the King's Men, but I doubt my arthritic fingers could put any of that together.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
I do like some of their figures, like the flower knight, but because of the odd 40/45-ish mm scale they're using the figures aren't really compatible with anything other than themselves.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »
I have gone in for this at Survivor level although $200,00 with postage already worthwhile with all the figures so far released, and I really like the look of the game play concepts so far shown.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
I was thinking about this, but I am almost certain I'd never be able to get anyone to play the actual game with me. And, if the figures are not in 28~32mm scale then I really haven't much use for them outside of the game either. :(
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Onimusha

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »
I am going for the 155$ pledge, allthough I am trying to convince 2 other friends to pledge the 400$ pledge together.
It really reminds me of Demon Souls on the PS3
Even if I am the only one buyinh this, I can still play it as a solo game :P

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:35:27 PM »
It does appear the game can easily be played solo.

However, I'm still not understanding the concept very well. How do the initial survivors go from minis with rocks for weapons end up with all kinds of armor and stuff.

I don't understand the flow here if you follow me.

Can anybody shed any light on this? How do you start with a near naked person and end up with armor and feathers and stuff and how does this all square with the equipment you pick up as you move from one fight to another?

It would seem you need minis that have a progression of armor and equipment but I don't see that on the project.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
Hi Ray
I have signed up for Survivor level and been following a lot of the comments and I hope I can clarify some of this.
When the initial survivors defeat their first monster they gain resources, which in the last phase of the game "Settlement Phase" you can use to construct armour/weapons or develop your settlement thus providing better resources.
The game consists of three phases
The Hunt phase which we now very little about, where you hunt the monster, this is run on some sort of card mechanism.
The Showdown phase, which is shown here:

It has been made clear in discussion that the AI cards that are played by the monsters are shuffled back into the deck once initial deck exhausted, so they only lose AI cards through wounds.
The Settlement phase
Where you upgrade as above. Your settlement can receive upgrades such as language, forge etc. and you can possibaly heal etc. maintain settlement.....

The armour figures have 4 of each type and all the kits are interchangable so you can chose to build any gear combinations, though the game is not WYSIWYG it is suggested you can use these figures to represent your favourite combinations. the equipment carried is represented by 2" x 2" cards that are placed on a 3x3 grid, and from color codes on the sides of the card and what has been said we believe that how you arrange them on the grid can provide you with various bonuses.
From what I have seen so far as well as the figures which I have always liked are a set of very simple but clever rules.
I hope this helps

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »
I'm def planning on pledging for this.

First kickstarter I've done, but what does the survivor level pledge actually get - just the stuff listed under the pledge "the Kingdom Death: Monster boxed game, the two Kickstarter exclusive plastic miniatures Adam & Anna Explorers of Death, the Kingdom Death t-shirt, and the digital art book." or is there additional bits I can't quite make out?

Offline Onimusha

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »
@ Kitsune, you are correct, those are the only exclusives, all the rest will be available later on through retail.

BTW, if you are a fan of the Demon souls or Dark souls videogame, than it is a must buy.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »
Don't know why but I'm drawn to this game. It's kinda bizarre, don't ya think?

Nevertheless the minis look amazing but the big question is... can I paint them to a respectable level?

From what I can ascertain, the game now supports up to 8 players + the monsters. I can also see how with this quantity of minis and equipment one could produce a series of minis for say 4 players with incremental armor increases.

Am fighting off the urge to jump in, but will almost certainly wait and see how this progresses.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
I like that Watcher creature, at 28mm I would snap that up in a heartbeat. It would make a fantastic and unusual undead or sorcerous foe in a whole host of games.

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:39:19 PM »
I'm def planning on pledging for this.

First kickstarter I've done, but what does the survivor level pledge actually get - just the stuff listed under the pledge "the Kingdom Death: Monster boxed game, the two Kickstarter exclusive plastic miniatures Adam & Anna Explorers of Death, the Kingdom Death t-shirt, and the digital art book." or is there additional bits I can't quite make out?

Besides the stuff listed under the pledge description you also get the following for free (and of course also the additions, that every boxed set receives):

Upgrades to Survivor eligible game boxes:
+ 1 extra Rawhide armor kits, two female and two male (unlocked @ 80k)
+ 1 Plastic Phoenix (unlocked @105k)
+ 1 Plastic Watcher (unlocked @185k)
+ 1 extra Phoenix armor kits, two female and two male (unlocked @200k)
+ A regiment of Kingsmen, x5 models (unlocked @$225k)
+ 1 plastic Paul the Survivor (unlocked @275k)