Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:43:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New project - Somerled (new pictures added 20/01/2013)  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
New project - Somerled (new pictures added 20/01/2013)
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
After a long lay off I've finally started another new project. I've become quite interested in the area around the Irish sea around the mid 12th century in particular Somerled but also Wimund (the rather interesting bishop of Mann). I've also become rather taken with large multi figure bases in the Impetvs style. I had some WF Vikings and Conquest game Normans hanging about so I've used them to knock up my first unit the Hird of Godred II the king of Mann and Somerled's main opponent. More ramblings and pictures can be found on my blog here

http://jonswargamesminis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/mia.html

here are a few pictures of the Hird sadly I haven't painted for a while and it shows....

next up are some Gaels (courtesy of Crusader and Gripping beast) for Somerled to lead. Also I'm struggling with decent info for this era so if anyone has any good sources (online or books) they want to share I'd be grateful :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:51:06 PM by Mutant Jon »

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
Re: New project - Somerled
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
Good start to your force. Can't really help info wise as this is not a period i know.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:33:33 AM »
Nice painting.
Like the multi figure bases,
great terraining on the bases.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 06:38:42 PM »
Lovely stuff. I love the period in question and I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun. You're off to a flying start!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
Re: New project - Somerled (command base WIP added 5/12/2012)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys :)

Having now finished the Hird for my Mann Norse I've ordered some suitable miniatures for Somerled's Gaels from Crusader miniatures and Gripping Beast. While I'm waiting for them to turn up I decided to keep my new found enthusiasm ticking over by making some command bases for my Mann Norse out of left over Wargames factory plastic vikings and bits from my bits box.

I have a load of 50mm laser cut circle bases that I'm going to use for command bases on which I plan to mount 3-4 miniatures on. To lead my Norse I'm going for two different leaders first Godred II Olafsson king of Mann (and possibly Dublin) from the early 1150s and enemy of Somerled. The  second commander will be Wimund Bishop of Mann and the isles in the 1140s an English monk who claimed to be the heir to the Mormaer of Moray gathered a band of sea raiders and plundered the coast of Scotland before he was captured, blinded and castrated :?.

Below are some pictures of my command base WIPs two standard bearers, a horn blower and a conversion to represent Wimund (which still needs a bit of work on the robe I think).

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
My gripping beast order turned up last weekend. I ordered miniatures from their Scots, Irish and Hiberno Norse ranges that I thought looked like they would make nice Gael flavoured Islemen.

These guys are going to to be Somerled's household troops (hence the armour) so I've tried to make them more Gael (hence the proto tartan) than Norse to make them different to the Mann forces (in reality I suspect there wouldn't have been much difference in appearance between Godred's and Somerled's soldiers).

My Crusader miniatures order turned up yesterday as well so I have plenty of white metal to paint over December :)

For this project I've gone back to the old black undercoat technique which I haven't used for a few years my Mann Norse were a bit ropey on the painting front but these guys are (I think) turning out much nicer. Anyway here are some WIP pictures of the progress I've made so far.

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
Re: New project - Somerled (Islesmen WIP added 11/12/12)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »
Slowly painting up my Islesmen and I have finished up one of my command bases. This base is going to represent the Norse-Gael Warlord and king of Kintyre Somerled.

Somerled is a Gripping Beast Norse-Gael warlord from the Saga range, his standard bearer is from the Gripping Beast Scots/Pict range and the horn blowing bodyguard is a Crusader miniatures Scots thane with a plastic Wargames Factory horn. The flag is from the excellent Don't throw a 1 Blog which has lots of nice (and free flags for gamers).  http://onelover-ray.blogspot.co.uk/

Sadly my printer ink ran out when I printed the flag so I had to re-paint it and add some highlights. I have no evidence that Somerled was a short arse but the newer Gripping Beast Saga miniatures seem much shorter than the older Gripping Beast miniatures. Plenty more Gaels to paint up yet.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Re: New project - Somerled (painted Somerled added 16/12/12)
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
Nice! I realy like your choice of colors and the tartan looks fantastic  :-*

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
Thanks moiterei_1984  :)

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
Added a few more miniatures to this project

First up another command stand this time Thorfin (or Thorfinus filius Oter) , described as the most powerful jarl of the Hebrides, who convinced Somerled to depose Godred the II King of Mann by suggesting that Somerleds own son Dugball become the new king of Mann.

Thorfin is a Gripping Beast Irish warlord from the Saga range, the horn blower is another Gripping Beast Scot/Pict the standard bearer is a Crusader miniatures Irish miniature with his axe replaced with a flag pole. The Flag is again from the "Don't throw a 1" Blog with a re-paint and highlights.

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
Re: New project - Somerled (new pictures added 20/01/2013)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 07:57:05 PM »
I finished off this first unit of Isle-men for Somerled's army this morning. These guys are going to be Somerled's elite Fianna (hence the armour). I've used miniatures from Gripping beast, Newline Design, Crusader, Heroes of the Dark Ages and a plastic Wargames Factory viking (the guy missing his head)

Now I'm not sure, in reality, there would be much difference between Somerled's Isle-men and The Norse of Mann but I've tried to give Somerled's troops a more Gaelic look because it's more fun that way.

Next up I'm going to paint up a unit of Gaels from the highlands.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: New project - Somerled (new pictures added 20/01/2013)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 07:35:40 PM »
I have really enjoyed seeing this army come together. Good work, keep it up!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/