Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690936
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Fantasy town WIP (many pics)  (Read 9522 times)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Re: My Fantasy town WIP (many pics)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »
I keep searching for nice resin fantasy buildings and drooling over the Tabletop World stuff in particular, but I should try out making some of my own one day - especially as yours look so great  8)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 08:09:38 PM »
Cracking stuff and great work that they also fold up too!
Lovely.
Duncan

Offline Theomar Pius

• Librarian
    • The Stonecutters Guild
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 02:59:53 AM »
Cool stuff, I like the gazebo in particular.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
all the folding idea is simply brilliant! That's quite a changer solution for storage of build buildings!

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
I love these and this is a fantastic solution to one of my problems (space).

Certaily, storage space is a common problem, so I design pretty much all my scenery to fold flat so it doesn't take so many space when not in use. Even my gaming table can be taken apart and stored against a wall  :D

Are the walls just made out of cereal boxes or is is more of an "industrial" kind of cardboard / craftboard used?

The walls are made from a strong carboard about 1mm thick, but if you only have "cereal package" cardboard, you may glue 2 or even 3 layers to get a strong enough material. IF YOU DO THAT, I'll recommend glueing each layer with the "grain" of the cardboard at an angle with the preceding layer for maximum resistance.

I would love to see some work in progress shots assuming you are planning on more buildings, or a tutorial, please.

A tutorial is something I have been asked a couple of times, and I may do one some day (when I start my own blog, I guess), but when I'm working in those buildings I ussually just get carried away and forgot to take any pictures :?

Thank you to all for your kind comments and interest.

More pics of the painted buildings soon.

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 03:18:07 PM »
Impressive designing - and flat pack as well! As one who builds AND has storage problems despite making my edifices modular - I salute you!
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »
I live in an area with a fair share of half-timbered buildings. Whilst most are simply black and white sometimes you see the "white" area in a pale biscuit colour - this is possibly fresh unpainted mud/plaster. I've also seen a pale lemon yellow - no idea how this might have been created with medieval style technology - and a sort of dark dusky pink. The latter could be obtained by mixing ox blood into the plaster. It's got to be worth doing a google image search.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »
I really like the flat-pack idea. Can't wait to see these painted!

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 08:38:37 AM »
Awesome stuff.
I'm struggling to get a buidling done in 2 weeks, so you doing this in a few days makes me feel like a slacker.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 08:41:52 AM »
Black beams on half-timbered houses are a largely modern phenomena - mostly Victorian. The vast majority of oak frames were left their natural colour and went greyish with age. They became rock hard in any case - ask anyone who has ever tried to renovate an old building "Post-Medieval Wood 1 - Tungsten carbide drillbit 0". Salting the daub apart from making it more fireresistant also lent a sandy cream tinge to the plaster. Google Lavenham in Suffolk...

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »
Black beams on half-timbered houses are a largely modern phenomena - mostly Victorian. The vast majority of oak frames were left their natural colour and went greyish with age. They became rock hard in any case - ask anyone who has ever tried to renovate an old building "Post-Medieval Wood 1 - Tungsten carbide drillbit 0". Salting the daub apart from making it more fireresistant also lent a sandy cream tinge to the plaster. Google Lavenham in Suffolk...
I never realised that, thanks for the info.
How did salting the daub help make it more fireresistant?

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
The vast majority of oak frames were left their natural colour and went greyish with age. They became rock hard in any case - ask anyone who has ever tried to renovate an old building "Post-Medieval Wood 1 - Tungsten carbide drillbit 0".

Very true,  live in an old house, and the beams have been up since 1490 odd and are still solid.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
Wow! Lovely work,look forward to seeing them painted :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 01:39:40 AM »
I live in an area with a fair share of half-timbered buildings. Whilst most are simply black and white sometimes you see the "white" area in a pale biscuit colour - this is possibly fresh unpainted mud/plaster. I've also seen a pale lemon yellow - no idea how this might have been created with medieval style technology - and a sort of dark dusky pink. The latter could be obtained by mixing ox blood into the plaster. It's got to be worth doing a google image search.

Thank you very much.

This kind of "first hand" info is extremely valuable to me, as I live in Mexico and don't have any building like that around.

A pale lemon yellow will make the town very colorful, but I doubt if I want to have pink houses in my "manly" fantasy town  ;)

Can you explain this a little more? Thanks you.

First building, church and gazebo already painted, and 2 more buildings midway.

Hope to have good light tomorrow to take some pics.

To all of you, thanks for your comments.

Best wishes.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 02:00:43 AM »
Lovely models so far, and like everybody else impressed with the fold down design. If I am not to late check this website for inspiration, the museum is just around the corner from me, and I regularly visit, if you want any more photo's let me know and I will get some on my next visit.
http://www.wealddown.co.uk/