Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:59:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Bob Murch goodies  (Read 5129 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
New Bob Murch goodies
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »

PSS-10 The Volcano Queen

The set includes: The Queen, a torch bearing tiki shaman and warrior guard, a carved tiki god and the young sacrifice awaiting rescue

PGS-17 German Maxim Guns, both light (tripod mounted) and heavy.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: New Bob Murch goodies
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
Impossibly nice as always. I'm a huge fan.  :-*
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:50:19 PM »
Excellent! Love the volcano queen set  8)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:54:35 PM »

Superb... but shouldn’t the MG have ammo feeds? ::)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
Superb... but shouldn’t the MG have ammo feeds? ::)

I believe the "light" one is meant to be an MG 08/15. There is a magazine on the side, just forward of the operator's hand on the trigger.

It could be a little bigger on the model, I suppose. Both the guns look a little rough and sloppy to my mind, but the figures are nice. Bob's still got that whole "Glen or Glenda?" thing going on with his female faces, though. That rather uncharitable comment notwithstanding, I do love that Volcano Queen figure.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 12:09:49 AM »
Oooo... These are nice. Not so keen on the machine gunners but then, I have no real use for them.
But my next purchases from Pulp Figures is already decided: Various Yukon Peril sets.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 12:11:54 AM »
Great sculpts as always. 
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 03:31:43 AM »
Love the new figures.
Pulp Figures rock.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 03:39:43 AM »

Thanks for the info, Plynkes. I just turn 40 last Friday and I might need a new pair of glasses… It is thru that the magazine is rather on the small side… ::)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 09:17:29 AM »
Volcano Queen pack is one of the best packs he ever done. I'm in awe.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
I think the problem is, Plynkes, that Bob is making Pulp era minis and not historical ones...... Therefore, they only have to LOOK right as opposed to BEING right.  Check out the old films, they take huge liberties......

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »
The Volcano Queen ist just  :o!

(Not too keen on the Germans, tbh.  :?)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »
I think the problem is, Plynkes, that Bob is making Pulp era minis and not historical ones...... Therefore, they only have to LOOK right as opposed to BEING right.  Check out the old films, they take huge liberties......

No, that isn't the problem. My (slight, and it is only slight) beef with the guns is nothing to do with historical accuracy. I just think they aren't the nicest-looking models. Maybe the paint job is contributing to the impression I get, but they just look a teensy bit rough and ready to me.

If I had wanted to comment on historical accuracy I might have said something about the dubious probability of German colonial troops getting their hands on a Null-acht-fünfzehn in the first place. But I didn't, for as you pointed out, they are Pulp figures. ;)

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 03:53:32 PM »
On top of which, I've never seen an MG 08/15 on a mount like that (or indeed, any sort of tripod - that's the point of the MG 08/15 - taking the MG 08 off its mount to increase its deployability, ala the Lewis gun).  But this is Pulp.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
<snip>Bob's still got that whole "Glen or Glenda?" thing going on with his female faces, though. That rather uncharitable comment notwithstanding, I do love that Volcano Queen figure.

BLUF:  (Bottom Line Up Front) I know  that wasn't uncharitable just an observation.  And there is some merit in that view.

But there also certainly is some variation in female faces in 1:1 scale figures.  A co-worker (working on wife #4 - all are "Asian" - from Philippines to India - in background) once made a biting observation that "<Asian country deleted> women are the most beautiful in the world, from the shoulders down."  Apparently he found there flatter faces with with larger noses not "feminine enough" in his mind.  Strictly his prejudice I suppose but before anyone goes off about that comment let me say that there are facial variations between ethnic groups where one man's beautiful woman is another's unappealing female.  I think Bob Murch is working to achieve a semi-stereotypical look to his figures.  But that just my thought on his female figure faces.

I think it is true that some/many of his female figures have (for lack of exactly the adjective i want) "harder" or "street wise" looking faces than other sculptors making female figures.  I had a class mate that (despite her inner beauty and grace which she had in spades,) can only be described as plain as a board.  I have seen very few miniatures that approach that look.  Many female figures have less relation to "normal" than to "idealized" female appearance.

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit:  a link that touches on "beauty" - http://reportermag.com/article/body-image/beauty-in-different-cultures

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:06:23 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de Espańa,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!