Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:35:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690983
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mantic Dwarfs.  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Mantic Dwarfs.
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
I had a few Mantic Forgefathers in my collection, gathering dust so I dug them out and put some paint on them. I decided I would follow a guy on here and take the dark approach... so here are the first five:

I haven't thought about doing any more yet... but I have another seven in the box :)

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Re: Mantic Dwarfs.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 09:27:19 PM »
Looking good.

A great addition to any skirmish adventure.

thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:36:46 PM »
They look nice!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
I remember the forge fathers you got that scheme off. It's the way to go with them for sure.

My Ursa Miners I think :)

Looking good Inso.  I think that moving away from the silver/gold/bronze Gimli-in-space look is a good idea with the Mantic Forgefathers.  It moves them a little further from their fantasy roots.

Have you more planned?

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
Yep, it was the Ursa Miners :) and I totally agree with your thoughts on the matter.

I have more planned but they will only be the standard plastic ones for now (I have some of the restic ones and the difference in size is too much for me to bear :( ).

I may get some of the tactical upgrade ones at some point but I am not sure yet. I'll just clear what I have and then think about things. It isn't as if it will break the bank BUT it is yet another project to think about :) .

It is a good excuse to get a Forgefather dreadnought or two though :) .

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
    • DWARTIST'S PAINTING BLOG
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »
very nice - you should do the rest.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
I may get some of the tactical upgrade ones at some point but I am not sure yet. I'll just clear what I have and then think about things. It isn't as if it will break the bank BUT it is yet another project to think about :) .

I got ten Mantic dwarfs (as opposed to Forgefathers) and combined them with Forgfather bits and some old GW plastic weapons to make some dual pistol wielding assault troops, but I havent painted them yet.  It may not be the direction that you plan to take this project in, but it might be worth considering if you feel like expanding.

It is a good excuse to get a Forgefather dreadnought or two though :) .

For sure, those look really nice.  A version with the big hammer replaced with a another ranged weapon was shown in a preview photo recently.  I am holding out until that is released before I pick up one of each.

Still, it will be hard to top those Warzone based walkers that you made for one of your space dwarf projects a while back :)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »
I have some of the fantasy dwarfs as well... the ones with shields and hand weapons and some with two handed hammers. I have already been eyeing up conversions but I want to get some standard troops in the bag first. I was thinking that some of the fantasy riflemen would work for conversions (but I'd need more sci-fi heads...). I have also been pointed at the abyssal Dwarves but I am not convinced I want to take a chaos direction.

Still lots to think about.

The Warzone walkers are my Christmas assembly project :) .

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:40:25 AM »
Love the helmeted ones, but damn I really hate the Mantic take on dwarfs in general.  Their faces look obnoxious.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 07:15:37 AM »
... I really hate the Mantic take on dwarfs in general.  Their faces look obnoxious.

All the more reason to have these as baddies with mutated faces then :)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »
The fantasy rifle guys convert really well to sci fi. Add some of those goggles to em and your sorted. I am using one as a sniper in my alien leigon force. The 'restic' ones are smaller but paint em up I says. They are pretty neat figs.

I will be adding some of the rifle guys at some point... adding the goggles is a nice touch :)

If I end up painting the restic ones, I'll be chopping their heads off and putting bigger ones on before I do.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
I received some Dread-ballers today and have done the only thing I could... give one a close-combat weapon:

I have put a standard trooper there for scale. The head of the dread-baller is a little smaller but I will be having these as chemically enhanced assault troops (CE-ATs) so the chemicals could reduce cranial size to help with suggestion being used on them... the chemicals would also account for the over developed arms and hands :)

... these are 'nasty' Dwarfs, after all :D

As a bonus... there were ten models in the box instead of eight. How's that for luck? :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:59:22 PM by Inso »

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »
I think these dwarves remind me a bit of Ram from Master of The Universe (or He-Man as it was called here),

I like what you did with the figures.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »
...you will see a tube/pipe thing. Glue that onto the hammer and it becomes a power hammer...

Cheers Scurv... I wondered what that bit was! I had it pegged as some sort of periscope or something  ;D

I will be gluing them onto my hammers now :)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »
I also got a few Dreadball Forgefathers in the post yesterday, but I will be using them as nature intended :)

Do you plan to paint the arms and hands as if they are bare?  I am thinking that painting them as if the little guys are wearing some sort of skintight undersuit as part of the uniform might make them look less fantasy.

I will be gluing them onto my hammers now :)

Slightly embarrassingly for such a simple kit piece, I had trouble finding a satisfying way to attach that part to the hammers on my Forgefathers, so I left them off.  I ended up using a couple of them to tart up some weapon conversions though.

The one that breaks my brain is the orx get an old 40's style microphone.

I quite like that accessory actually :)  It suggests something like the Ghostbusters PKE meter to me.  I will avoid painting the central piece black to look like a mic though.

I think these dwarves remind me a bit of Ram from Master of The Universe (or He-Man as it was called here),

Ram Man, thats what the helmet design looks like.  I couldnt place what the helmets reminded me of while I painted Forgefather figures, but I kept thinking that it was this guy, Rambam from Thundercats, which obviously wasnt right. 

I dug out my unpainted Ursa Miners a couple of days ago because of this project.  I must get back to them in the new year.

Have you got any of the Iron Ancestors yet Inso?  I am itching to get my hands on a couple of those guys.