Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rant: Scotia Grendel Nubian Pyramid  (Read 5500 times)

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
Rant: Scotia Grendel Nubian Pyramid
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:42:40 PM »
OMFG.

Talk about a disappointment. But allow me to detail my pain:

I got this..

...and I was so happy when it showed up on Monday. Right up until I opened it.

There was so much flashing on it that I had to get a dremel out just to get to a STARTING point. Then, when I really started looking at it, the triangular sections were so badly cast that I will now have to either run it over a planer or dremel it to death to get the back flattened so it will even fit. The triangles are so over-cast that the thickness of the assemblies is almost one and a half times the thickness that they're supposed to be. It's ridiculous. It's going to take me several days of work, plus a crapload of green stuff to get it to look right.

I've gotten other S/G stuff before and it's pretty good, but seriously, this is pure shite.

/end rant.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Rant: Scotia Grendel Nubian Pyramid
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:02:59 PM »
I share your pain. i got a similar piece of resin crap from a trader recently but he gave me a refund so I got over it. I suggest you inform him of your experience and demand a refund.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »
I'm going to send some pictures to Scotia Grendel. I figure I'm already screwed so I might as well help their QC department pull their heads out of their arses. I do a fair bit of casting and MY work is far superior to this pile of crap.

And I'm a rote amateur at best.  It's sloppy work, no more, no less.

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »
From what you are telling me, contacting Scotia grendel with a complain seems fair.

I've have had too many problems myself with the recent resin products I have purchased, gladly until now I have come to an agreement with the traders of partial refunds or they send me a new piece.

Just irritating when you have to wait additional time for replacements to arrive.

What I see is that they aren't good enough to replace worn out moulds or using unskilled labours. What ever the reason, its just not a good customer experience to see something really nice in there web-shop, and when it arrives it looks like crap and/or you have to use several hours grinding on moulding lines or making the parts fit together.
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:05:08 PM »
Too bad, because it's a lovely pyramid. It's one of those things I still want: a good looking big pyramid. Hard to find!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »
I totally love the resin sculpt I got from Fenris Games and it had no flash at all - highly recommended!

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=47707.60

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »
Too bad, because it's a lovely pyramid. It's one of those things I still want: a good looking big pyramid. Hard to find!

+1 . I like it too.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »
Look up "Hirst Arts Kit" on Ebay. Or, if you're ballsier, you can get the molds for egyptian pyramids and whatnot and some Smoothcast 300 and make them yourself. Really cracking stuff. I'm a huge fan of it and I asked my wife for the stuff for Christmas, which, of course, she ignored. ;)

72$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGYPTIAN-PYRAMID-KIT-WITH-INTERIOR-TOMB-10-HIRST-ARTS-/250877848071?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item3a697c2a07

40$ (and I ~so~ want it)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGYPTIAN-PYLON-TEMPLE-KIT-HIRST-ARTS-28MM-/251191017469?pt=Games_US&hash=item3a7c26bffd

OR....

35$ a mold, plus 20$ for Smoothcast 300, plus 5$ for universal mold release
http://www.hirstarts.com/molds/moldsegypt.html

I kid you not, making that hirst stuff is REALLY easy.

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
The second kit looks fun... Truth be told I just can't be bothered.. I prefer seeing what others can do with the stuff..

Now if I was making a dungeon table....

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
Here's what I sent Grendel

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »
I've a friend who riecieved some grendel pieces as well... and they are crappy casted too! Said from an amatorial caster like me (well, i sell my own products so i'm a little more than amatorial), this casting level is... Level Zero. (just quoting Kung Fu Panda)

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
I have 2 sat unopened but from years ago........hopefully they will be before quality died......

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
Just an FYI, Scotia Grendel is run by Robbie Ferguson. He is a one-man show operator  (at least the last I heard) out of a small castle in Scotland. He is a decent guy, but unfortunately he is running on very old molds that probably should have been replaced years if not decades earlier. The pieces will not get any better so ordering or expecting a better quality cast will probably not happen. I have that piece, and had my dad run it on his belt sander. It only takes a couple of minutes and it was fine. A little bit of green stuff, and the piece was finished. Forget the dremel...it will take forever. I also soaked mine in extremely hot water to help soften the resin first and used heavy duty rubber gloves and an extremely sharp knife to pare away the excess flashing on the sides where I did not want my dad to sand as the surface texture would have been sanded away. Hope this helps with your project and good luck.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up. Over my lunch break I used that dremel and sorted it out. Turns out that one of the pieces isn't flat, too! So, one side will be slightly bowed. LMAO I guess the slaves that built it had the last laugh!

I really love the Scotia models. I have a couple of other pieces that came in blister packs and they're really well done, which is why this was such a shock to me.

I let them (him?) know about it, sent some pictures, and that's that. I figure that for the price I got it (16.00 US?) at the superduper clearance sale at FRPGames.com I really couldn't complain much. So, I ranted, vented, and now I'm all done. The only complaint I have now is that I smell burning plastic and will all day long. Terrible smell...ugh

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
Found this one on the interweb:
http://www.stonehouseminiatures.com/resinfigures1/item.nhtml?profile=resinfigures1&UID=117

Anyone familiar with this one? Looks promising for the price!