Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Conquest Games new Robin Hood miniatures  (Read 15576 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Conquest Games new Robin Hood miniatures
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »
Great news, well done, I'll buy 'Em if you re do them. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »
Yes, brilliant new there Mike, and hats off to you listening to the grumbling masses  >:D. On a personal level I was thrilled to see the range appearing and then gutted that they didn't fit in with other figures I owned. If you are rejigging them I will be looking out for the full range as will my son (Robin, if you believe it). I also know of a few non wargamers who are Robin of Sherwood geeks who will be collecting them (30th anniversary conference next year and launch of the Robin of Sherwood Companion book). Well done again.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
I've been wanting to do a Robin Hood game so if they can be re-done to fit in with other manufacturer's 28's...so much the better.  That said, since I am starting from scratch, I don't mind the diff in scale as long as there are plenty of figures in the range and I don't have to search outside the range for additional figures where the scale diffenence would become apparent.  Just my 2 cents.
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Dawnbringer

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2013, 03:00:05 AM »
I've been wanting to do a Robin Hood game so if they can be re-done to fit in with other manufacturer's 28's...so much the better.  That said, since I am starting from scratch, I don't mind the diff in scale as long as there are plenty of figures in the range and I don't have to search outside the range for additional figures where the scale diffenence would become apparent.  Just my 2 cents.

The problem is there isn't many figures to the range right now (Just those four so far as I know). If they are resculpted to fit in with the usual size i.e. their own Normans, Perrys, etc. I feel they'll sell much better over the short term (and just as well over the long term as well.)

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 10:23:18 PM »
awww re-sculpts? I've just received these......
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Ensign Madcap

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 08:25:46 AM »
awww re-sculpts? I've just received these......

Don't worry General Lee, they will be worth a fortune in a few years. I have tucked mine away and eagerly wait for the new larger sculpts.

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 12:29:34 AM »
Well, there is that.  Who knows?  This hobby's so unpredictable I wouldn't be surprised to see a "25mm renaissance" at some point.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »
Sorry for the threadomancy, but do these figures scale up well with Conquest Games' own Normans? I'm thinking of buying the Robin Hood characters plus a few Normans to fight them.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline jeffb

• Assistant
  • Ancient & Loyal
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
Hi,

Any updates on the resizing of the figures?

Cheers

Jeff
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse!!!
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

Waney's to do list
Win World Club Challenge-Will have to wait for 2017
Win Challenge Cup-Will have to wait for 2017!!!
Win Super League-Undecided!!!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »
Excellent.

I have just picked up some conquest horsemen to start a SAGA warband. Now I can see some extended use for them.

If you make the figures base a little bit thicker that his companions- which I do by adding a slither of 0.5mm or 1mm thick plasticard- then the effect is surprisingly good for enhancing the overall effect of hight. It doesn't show when the base is flocked/decorated.

I think this is what Tom Cruise does.

I understand that in Tom's case it's a milk crate.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2013, 03:59:53 AM »
Unless of course you are willing to stick with us whilst we produce the entire range at the smaller scale? Your call everyone.

Please, continue pulling them apart (but constructively please) and we will act upon what you want to see. This is to be an extensive range to include the whole of the Robin Hood legend as well as historical characters from the time period of around 1190-1230 ish.

I vote on keeping the range extant and continue to add to the Robin Hood Legend. Size will always be a topic of discussion no matter.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »
Um, I was just wondering, any progress? I'm still interested in these miniatures.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 02:39:25 AM »
<snip>I would really appreciate it if they rescaled to fit in with other manufacturers. Even with the bases built up, they just look too slight. :'(

I think we all have manufacturers that we wish made their figures more like "X" figures.  But that's not a very practical expectation (unless you are paying the bills for the creation of the figures...)

Just look at Peter Berry's approach (commentary) to the differences to other "6 mm" figures and his 6 mm figures... 

https://www.baccus6mm.com/index.php?content=faq

From his site:

" Begin quote:

ARE MY FIGURES COMPATIBLE WITH X, Y & Z?
The emphasis on this question is wrong. To my way of thinking it should be rephrased as, 'Are x, y, and z's figures compatible with Baccus?' It is really difficult to be objective about this as I judge other people's ranges by my standards. The following picture shows samples from mine, Irregular's and Heroics ranges.

<picture on site>

The red line marks the 6mm height. Mine are measuring about 6.5mm from base to eye level, Irregular about 6mm and Heroics about 5mm.

So if we are all making 6mm figures, why aren't mine exactly the same as the others, so you can mix and match across the ranges?

Well, I started making my own figures because none of the ranges available to me gave me what I wanted:
Heroics have a vast range, and in many ways are the 'standard' for this scale. However, they are not 'true' 6mm figures. They were designed as 1/300th scale models, and so are smaller than the nominal 6mm in both height and bulk, measuring as little as 4.5mm foot to eye. I suppose the easiest comparison to make is between a nominal 25mm figure of today and the 'equivalent' 1/72nd plastic ranges. Their slightness of stature means that there is little or no detail on the castings. Remember when someone tells you that Baccus figures are 'huge' in comparison to Heroics, it is not my figures that are grossly oversize, it is that the objects of comparison are actually smaller than the perceived scale.

Now depending on your point of view their smooth form and poor detail makes these figures either a dream or an absolutely cow to paint. As I am firmly in the latter camp, I designed figures with lots of clean, raised detail - a fact appreciated by many.

So, I wanted figures that were larger than 5mm in size and had lots of detail - as a result, there was no chance of mine being like Heroics!

Irregular also have a vast range, and with more bulk and height are actually 6mm in scale. However, I did not like their fixed basing and I believed that I could produce castings that carried more and better defined detail. So, no chance of mine being like Irregular!

Adler figures are incredibly well designed, animated and detailed. However, they are considerably larger than 6mm, and many are put off by their large heads.
As I wanted figures that were nearer to 6mm proper with as accurate proportions as I could get, there was no chance of mine being like Adler!

In essence, Baccus figures are my interpretation of what a 6mm figure should be. To have purposely chosen to make my figures match other people's ranges would have meant that I would now be turning out what would effectively be copies of Heroics or Irregular or Adler miniatures - something I was not inclined to do.
Figure design is an Art, not a Science. Every artist sees things differently, as does every designer.

End Quote"

Each sculptor/manufacturer works to their "vision" (being a Federal employee I generally hate that word but I'll use it here) as they should.

At one time I felt that heroic 25 mm/28 mm/30 mm sizes (they aren't scales) seemed an abomination - why couldn't companies make them 25 mm?!  I learned to deal with the size differences.

I am sure 18 mm upset some diehard 15 mm guys too.  Hell my 1970's "15 mm" figures are swamped by "true" 15 mm figures, much less 18 mm figures, today.

The only real, adult options are:  Don't buy them, accept the differences, or try and ameliorate the differences by base adjustments.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 12:03:59 AM »
Some news from Mike@Conquest Games:

" We have a few new sculpts being worked on at the moment for the Wolfshead range - namely a few more monks and the rest of the main band of Merrie Men. They should be ready in the next couple of months."

"Then we should be ready for the three new Wolfsheads - Marian of the Greenwood, Much the Miller's Son and The Saracen. These should round off the main group of Merrie Men (more generic types to come though!), and then we will start on some of the baddies as well as a couple more nuns."