Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:03:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Gotham City Project  (Read 17989 times)

Offline Kieron

• Bookworm
A Gotham City Project
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »
Having been inspired by much of the ridiculously good painting and modelling that goes on around here, I've returned to my long abandoned Gotham project with a couple of Heroclix repaints. I won't witter on too much (if you want more of that head over to my blog) but I thought I'd share; here are the Joker and Firefly:

I'm always a little disappointed in my skills with a camera (mainly because it's my phone), however I feel that these are step up from my usual fair. If you have any suggestions for what I can do with Firefly's base, they'd be gratefully recieved, as I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

It's a small start, butI'm aiming to add a full rogue's gallery and scenery over time. To this end, I've already picked up the Eaglemoss Batmobile and I've got some Knight Models miniatures on order. The Heroclix sculpts I'm using will be the larger ones, so hopefully there won't be too much disparity between the ranges.

More to follow in time...

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
Re: A Gotham City Project
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
Lovely Mate!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:48:41 AM »
Looks like a great start!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:17:03 AM »
Well done...what did you use to do the newspaper on Joker's base? Also what bases are you using for them? Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Kieron

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 07:03:21 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.

The bases are simply 30mm round beveled bases from my local game store, similar to the ones you get in games like Warmachine. The road is simply a couple of layers of sand and PVA. (I'm all about value for money :) )

For the newspaper I just search for Gotham Newspaper on google to find something I like (I think this one was prop in 'The Dark Knight'), then copy/pasted into word and shrunk it for printing. Something I'm really pleased with is that close up you can just make out that it says 'Batman Saviour or Menace?'. I did consider painting the paper, but my free hand isn't good enough to make it look right, so I'm pleased that the lazy option worked.

Offline Kieron

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »
With those villains running about, burning the city up, I thought it was about time to add a hero:

My Nightwing is a small conversion of Everest from the Crossover line. The head is from a GW Bretonnian Knight. I've said on another thread that this was a really nice model to paint. Crossover have definitely got themselves a new customer...

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 08:34:49 PM »
Nice,  pre 52 reboot black on blue costume. Head choice is superb,  I'll have to have a delve through my brettonian lead as im sure thats one of the grail knighs ive got.

Thanks for sharing.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Kieron

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »

It was Valentine's Day and love was in the air, so I thought I'd send Mister J a present in the mail: Harley Quinn.

I do have to own up and say that the highlighting you see is actually sunlight. I've left this model pretty much alone, simply tidying up the paint job. The mail box was lifted from another clix model, and might find itself replaced with a resin one at a later date.

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
Nice work Kieron. How 'bout some charred matchsticks, toothpicks or other wooden bits for Firefly's base?

Offline carlosyc

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »
Hello

Nice minis. How did you make the newspaper of Joker base?

Thanks

Offline Kieron

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 07:29:17 PM »
@Vauln

Thanks, that's what I eventually did, and I added some flames clipped off another miniature. I'll post an image when I've next got my camera out.

@carlosyc

Cheers. It was simply this image (I think it's a prop newspaper from 'The Dark Knight') reduced and printed. Nothing fancy:
http://www.thisnext.com/item/61EC061E/The-Gotham-Times

If you search 'Gotham Newspaper' you'll get a range of choices. I picked this one because the typeface was larger and so most likely to make sense when reduced.

I've been quiet this week because I'm working on my first building and it's a slow process.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:32:14 PM by Kieron »

Offline Kieron

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »
It's about time that the Batman showed up. A simple Heroclix rebase and highlight. I'm once again stumped about basing ideas, and suggestions would be gratefully received (however, the cape actually makes this less of an issue). Also pictured is Firefly with the burning wood added to his base - could anybody give me some suggestions to improve the painting of the flames?

This project isn't just about miniatures, its also about building a city! The first of my buildings is a warehouse from Warbases. I've still got the windows and roof to do, but it's coming along. I've gone for a grey palette on the walls to give a Gothic feel that will be echoed across all of my buildings.

Inside I've kept it simple; matt black walls and a printed paper floor to give the building maximum versatility. With terrain pieces added, I personally think it's doing the job well and has set a minimum standard for the rest of the city.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
Batman looks brilliant. :)

I posted this to your blog, but here goes my advice on the flames:

The advice I follow is to reverse the sequence of colours that you would tend to follow for most things: from shade through to highlight.

Therefore, in the depths yellow or yellow white, working through to orange at the out tips of the flame.

Here is an example I did:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-msZsRZ0oesQ/T2dJkP3ZbII/AAAAAAAABkY/UcvlctxK4zk/s1600/sgt_bale_extreme_1.jpg

http://pulp-citizen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/sgt-bale-extreme.html
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline carlosyc

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »
I printed the newspaper. It´s under the Reaper clown´s boot

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures