Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:39:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 3mm North Vietnamese Army and 2 more USA Units.  (Read 1669 times)

Offline wargamer1972

• Librarian
  • An officer in the traditional Prussian mold.
    • Adventures with Gun, Sabre & Horse
3mm North Vietnamese Army and 2 more USA Units.
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
I've added more elements to my American army, 1 Cobra gunship and an Heavy Weapons unit.  All from the good folks at PicoArmor.  I used a different flocking this time and I think they turned out better.  Also have the first elements for my NVA army including 2 elements of VC, which I will play as lurkers for Hordes in the Nam.  Thanks for looking.

Cobra and HW Coy.  The rotor blade on the cobra was very difficult, it's a garden wire and I knocked it off and glued it back on three times.

NVA with 2 VC lurkers.  Painted the army khaki tan.

Second NVA picture.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Re: 3mm North Vietnamese Army and 2 more USA Units.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:32:31 AM »
They all look fantastic, I also like this flocking better as well; 3mm really looks good when all the elements of an army are together in one pic.

One big question: what is 'Hordes in the Nam'? I have to assume it is a variant of Hordes of Things but I have never heard of it. Can you share a link or direct me in any way.

Thanks
 Damien

Offline wargamer1972

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 02:00:40 AM »
They all look fantastic, I also like this flocking better as well; 3mm really looks good when all the elements of an army are together in one pic.

One big question: what is 'Hordes in the Nam'? I have to assume it is a variant of Hordes of Things but I have never heard of it. Can you share a link or direct me in any way.

Thanks
 Damien
Thanks.  You are correct about the HotT variant.  File here: http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/uploads/7/0/8/1/7081303/hordesnam.doc

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
Nice forces.
I like the idea for the rotor.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »
NVA tanks were dark green. There is a cloor picture of Jim willbanks near a destroyed T54 in An Loc on the net. Once I asked him and he was positive the tanks in An Loc were dark green. also the pictures of the tanks paraded in Saigon after the easter offensive show dark green color. NVA tended to be dressed in Green starting in 1966, while VC main force (by 1966 just NVA under a new name) used the so called 'export khaki dress' probably for differentiation. By 1969 even VC main force divisions tended to be clad in green.

Arrigo (self proclaimed KCL Vietnam top War Expert... oh I am the only one it is easy...)
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline wargamer1972

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »
NVA tanks were dark green. There is a cloor picture of Jim willbanks near a destroyed T54 in An Loc on the net. Once I asked him and he was positive the tanks in An Loc were dark green. also the pictures of the tanks paraded in Saigon after the easter offensive show dark green color. NVA tended to be dressed in Green starting in 1966, while VC main force (by 1966 just NVA under a new name) used the so called 'export khaki dress' probably for differentiation. By 1969 even VC main force divisions tended to be clad in green.

Arrigo (self proclaimed KCL Vietnam top War Expert... oh I am the only one it is easy...)

I read where they wore green in the latter part of the war but due to the small scale I wanted to differentiate further.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
I think is a reasonable choice, I did the same for my 15mm Main force to have a visual differentiation. Ok now I will not do that for several reasons, including the fact that it was quite unusual to encounter mixed units. I have read several comments that the 'export khaki' was quite awful and no one PAVN of NLF was really happy with them, plus they stood out in several backgrounds. By 1967 almost everyone was PAVN, local recruiting had dried up in 66 and people from the North exerted more and more control. Plus by 66 the politburo has moved to full scale conventional war and PAVN types were coming to teach everyone a lesson.

Still the tanks looks weird and more dressed for desert. I know that on the concord book on the Vietnam Armor at least one PT-76, is painted khaki, but every account I read was that they were green. Bear in mind that the Pt-76 depicted is based on the one recovered at Ben Het, all suffered massive internal explosion after bing hit by 90mm fire or mines so I think the colours could have changed a little.

Said that I like them quite a lot, at the moment my micro Vietnam is 6mm with 3mm helos and air, but you are putting weird idea in my rotten brain.