Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:34:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: All things (okay, a small bunch of) Gundam  (Read 9569 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
All things (okay, a small bunch of) Gundam
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
Cheers guys!

Just wanted to show some mecha kits I bought in London in February and finally finished. Wonīt go into the Gundamverse details because itīs just as much fun as hearing the n+1st recounting of the 40k universe (if a bit more sensible... no, make that less implausible ;)).

The two are, basically, ampibious and submersible mechs (as designated by the "Mobile Suit, Marine" MSM prefix) used for commando raids, usually deployed from a submarine. They have thrust backpacks which can be detached once spent.

The "Zugock" is an experimental model (if you go by the canon fluff, thereīs only one, but I love the design - so if I find my other one, Iīll paint it as well).

The "Hygog" is a second-generation version of a venerable design, the Gog amphibious mobile suit. I really like the hideous "gorilla meets lobster" design. Always wanted one since I saw one in a 1998 issue of Hobby Japan.

Got those for 5 Pounds apiece. Couldnīt walk past. Even though Iīve got BOXES full of Gundams.

And, for good measure and a chuckle, a size comparison with a Battletech Wasp. All 1/144th scale (the Gundam kits have a specified scale, and, well, the Wasp model pretty much fits the description, maybe even a little bit larger).

Possibly next: Some 10mm infantry and vehicles. Certainly some Feddie mechs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:58:16 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Zeon Marine Commandos
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
Sharp paint job!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Zeon Marine Commandos
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 12:19:13 AM »
i have the first robot in a pre paint, but its pink.... so i will repaint it!!  love the camo on these!! i may have to 'copy' them!!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Zeon Marine Commandos
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:11:44 AM »
Quote from: "majorsmith"
i have the first robot in a pre paint, but its pink.... so i will repaint it!!  love the camo on these!! i may have to 'copy' them!!

Probably the original Zugock model in the colours of their "Red Baron" pilot ace... ah yes. In the series, it came across as somewhere oxblood red and gore, but the kits... ewww...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Zeon Marine Commandos
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
I really don't like Mecha much at all, and yet I love those. They have a style to them I haven't seen before, certainly not your run-of-the-mill mech lines.

They have a certain graceful 60s Thunderbird 2 quality to them. I think that is what appeals.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Zeon Marine Commandos
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
I really don't like Mecha much at all, and yet I love those. They have a style to them I haven't seen before, certainly not your run-of-the-mill mech lines.

They have a certain graceful 60s Thunderbird 2 quality to them. I think that is what appeals.

Interesting thought. To my mind, Gundam 0080 had the best designs of the otherwise dreary 1980s Gundam serials.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Zeon Marine Commandos
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 01:02:22 PM »
Very nice. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
Zeon Marine Commandos
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »
They are fantastic! :love:

I really love your choice of Paint/Camo, striking but not too garish.

At Ģ5.00 a piece they are an excellent find.

PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
Zeon Marine Commandos
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 06:12:31 AM »
I love alot of the gundam models, and those are couple of favorites. (next to zaku IIs) They look good, but I don't think anything in gundam ever had camo. :)

But Battletech isn't 1/144 it's 1/300. The wasp should be much bigger if in scale.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Zeon Marine Commandos
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 06:54:02 AM »
Quote from: "wolfgangbrooks"
I love alot of the gundam models, and those are couple of favorites. (next to zaku IIs) They look good, but I don't think anything in gundam ever had camo. :)

Unless you count the "low-viz" schemes of the GM and the olive/green scheme of the Zaku II, thatīs right. But that doesnīt stop me. :lol:

But Battletech isn't 1/144 it's 1/300. The wasp should be much bigger if in scale.

Since it is not a metal figure but a plastik Macross Valkyrie kit (no scale denoted, Iīll admit) and it corresponds to height references given in various Battletech books (even a bit bigger if you go by the legs), I think itīs fair game. The figure is about 8cm tall, which corresponds to some 11 metres in 1/144th scale - generous for a 20-ton Wasp, if you go by the Battletech fluff.

I leave using distorting figures and misrepresenting scales to scheming statisticians who chose to betray their professional ethos for the lure of lobbyism.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: All things (okay, a small bunch of) Gundam
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »
Hey folks,

finally got to do some Gundam modeling again, in such a shape that a friend of mine and myself ordered some stuff from Hobby Link Japan (nice service, and customs didnīt even raise much of a hassle).

I got two more of the Hygog Mobile Suits (albeit the newer, much better quality model) and a box of the "Zaku The Ground War" set, which includes a Zaku MS, two Federation tanks, two Zeon Hoverscouts and some small accessories, all for merely 19 Euros plus P&P and some customs (negligible in this case). Much less than I would have paid at a local dealer, if I ever found it, but such stores donīt really exist in Germany any more, and if they do, all they stock is that crappy Wings stuff.

Anyhow, I started off with the two tanks.

Those are rather small models, but excellently cast and superbly laid out on the sprue, which made assembly a breeze - I took my time to get it just right and both tanks merely took me some 45 minutes, all in all. The 2 Euro coin is for scale reference (about an inch across).

For painting, Iīm trying a "new" (for me) approach since the models were moulded in a dark middle gray plastic. I skipped the "white primer" stage and added a base coat of Revell Stone Gray with some varnish in it for some more grip. This will then be highlighted and weathered, and finally, Iīll use some scrap plastic to scrape off tiny bits of paint to make scratches. This will be a challenge due to the small scale (in which weathering quickly looks strange and overdone), especially if the model is as small as the tank, but Iīm confident it will work out. Iīll add more pictures as I progress in painting, since apart from the chipping stage, this will follow my usual "vehicle painting technique" (nothing fancy, but it may be useful to some).

Cheers, and sorry for the threadomancy.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »
Next step, basecoated with Revell Stone Gray:

And drybrushed using a mix of equal parts of Revell Stone Gray, Vallejo White and Vallejo Khaki:

Next up: a finer, lighter drybrush applied only to the centres of the armour plates, followed by an yellowish-olive wash.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:26:05 PM »
After two more drybrushs:

Next, the aforementioned wash. More pics tomorrow.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 12:37:08 AM »
Lovely Chris, not my cup of tea, but very nice.  8)

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 04:28:59 AM »
'Can't wait to buy the 1/35 version!