Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:36:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Still trying to improve my sculpting skills  (Read 1561 times)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Still trying to improve my sculpting skills
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
Still trying to improve my sculpting skills, I am using Bronzeage dollies for the base and green stuff. So far I have two females who are suppose to represent Ellie from the video game "The last of us" and Kelly from the interactive zombie game "Survive the outbreak" The 3rd figure I am working on is a crew man for my Sinbad crew. Your thought are always appreciated Thanks.

Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Still trying to improve my sculpting skills
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
Nice work so far.

The bagginess seems alright to me. Details are not quite crisp yet, but you will improve.

What made a huge difference for me was watching what other sculptors do. I caught up with Dave King at a con' once and he really showed me a thing or two about sculpting!

First thing I would suggest is to make sure the blue and yellow components are blended together properly.

Secondly, what kind of tools are you using?

I use a dental tool and a manicure tool, so nothing too special, but a rubber tool would be indispensable to get smoother results. I made one of these on my own but it broke.

Also, are you using vaseline to lubricate the tools? Another indispensable addition to your sculpting kit.

I'm not amazing, but this is a pic of my sculpt just to prove I'm not full of wind. I think it turned out okay:

(Painted by Black/Greywolf)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:37:37 AM by Christian »

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Still trying to improve my sculpting skills
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:07:46 AM »
Thanks.  I think I need some new putty, I kneaded it a lot and until I posted the photos I could not see the yellow flakes. As for tools I am using the same stuff and some clay shapers and Vaseline also, They might look better once painted