Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:00:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690578
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modern Middle East in 6 mm  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Ruther

• Librarian
Modern Middle East in 6 mm
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:03:14 AM »
Hi, i'm new to the forum so i thought i start up with posting some pics of parts of my lead mountain  ;)

The minis where painted with the syrian army in mind, but can be also used with most other middle eastern countrys which uses old russian tech.

BTR Company

Republican Guard Elite Force

Some T-55

Some T-62

Command, Artillery, Support and Recon Units

The Airtransports

Some Air Support

And Last but not Least some Terrain to play on:

Now just to find the time to actualy play more than once a year  :?.

There stands jackson like a stonewall

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
Re: Modern Middle East in 6 mm
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
I like those a lot especially the glass on the vehicles & helos. It is nice to see a decent job done on 6mm vehicles AND nice terrain to go with them.

I presume they're based up for CWC?

I used to have a huge 6mm collection and then sold them for a song when those inconsiderate Soviets went and collapsed  :'( I now find myself nostalgic for the Cold War!!!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »
wonderful stuff. the figures and the Scenery are top notch.  :o

I wasn't familiar with modern/6mm. I have a few questions...

Is 6mm about the scale of Epic 40K (If so- even more respect dues, because the detailing on the vehicals and buildings is amazing!)  :-*

Who makes the figures?

Are your buildings scratch built?

How big is your table (the one in the photo, not you actual table  ;) )

What rules do you use?
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:32 AM »
I can only echo what everyone else has said, most 6mm stuff I see reminds me of Bezzo's blobs and is pretty much what I'd churn out too (I can do that with 28mm though, so that says nothing). A fantastic looking collection!
:)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:30 AM »
Oh, man, everything up there is so lovely! :o

As Rob_bresnen says, it's amazing what you have achieved at that scale (yeah, that's Epic40K scale), infantry, vehicles, scenery... Everything is wonderful!

Offline Cueball

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »

Wow! Very, very pretty Ruther, and particularly the aircraft which are stunning - who are the Mig and SU from, CinC?

6mm is one of my big things and its great to see such effort lavished on GHQ models and Timecast scenery; time spent making micro-armour more than just blobs is rarely wasted.

What rules are you using to do Micro Middle East?  And can we see the opposition? (But only if they are this good!)

Offline Ruther

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
Thanks thats some nice feed back  :).

Yeah they were bease for CWC but i'm searching for alternate systems as well. Right now i'm playing with the idea in using that army for the Strike Legion Rule set (and use them as some low tech faction there).

6mm scale is about the epic scale, the Minis are all from GHQ only the 2 planes are von CinC.
The building are from time cast and than painted up by me.

The City on the picture is about 36x36 inches. I can also use the the smalle rparts to make a couple of village and a small town. Its very flexible.

I really like painting these. Besides the pictures there is a whole battery of 122mm Guns, a lot more T-62's as thats my MBT for the army and some more Support (some BRDM 2 / SA9's and Engineers).

The current opposition is the modern German Army (thats what i had left after i decided i didnt wanted to get into classic center europe cold war). I dont have that much pics of them but that should give you an idea:

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »
Rules...

Hmm, a lot depends on what you want out of a game. Many, many years ago, when I were but a lad, we used to play the old WRG armour rules that can be found here: http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG.net/History/OLDWRG/Modern.pdf
These are based on one model = 1 vehicle & infantry are fireteams or heavy weapon teams. It is a very long time since I played them but they are a good solid set. I'd probably simplify some aspects and add in a command & control & troop quality system, both of which are completely abscent.

I also used to play Challenger and Challenger 2, which worked on the same level as the WRG rules, though were much more complicated and infantry combat never seemed to work. Their successor is BGMR (BattleGroup Modern Rules) which can be downloaded for free if you join their Yahoo! group. The rules look very complex, but it is mostly because they are very thorough and you won't ever actually use big sections.

I also used to play a lot of Command Decision 2 (in its WW2 incarnation) which works at the same level of play as CWC. It has a lot more detail in terms of equipment than CWC though you'd probably need to track down the appropriate copies of Command Post Quaterly to find suitable equipment stats for post WW2 equipment.

I've played CWC a couple of times and something about it just doesn't feel "right" to me. I totally understand where they're coming from with the system, I'm a huge fan of Black Powder and Hail Caesar which can be consodered to be cousins of CWC, but I just don't thinkit translates well to a game where AFVs are common.

There are lots of simple, free sets of rules here along with older or tryout versions of a variety of sets:

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/modern.html

and...PS your Germans look REALLY nice too!!!

Offline Ruther

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
I'm going to check these systems out. Thanks for the tips  :).

While CWC isn't a bad systems but it always false short when trying to employ combined arms tactics. Helicopter drops are a nightmare and so is reliable placing of your units. As there is to much luck involved (imho). Not getting to move any critical units during 1-2 turns while your opponent keeps rolling under and gets like 4-5 activation per combat groups can make that game a bit frustrating. That evens out if you play with bigger battle groups but for the smaller company level its not working very well.

On a side note, i started to work on the 7th armored division for some WWII Normandy games but only have the tank company and the artillery/recon support done. Need some new motivation, so maybe some new rule systems help me along here  ;).

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »
Blimey! Some of the best 6mm I've ever seen, and I've seen a bit. Which make are these? GHQ?

My 6mm just gathers dust, no one wants to play it... swines!  :-[

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
Myabe if more people painted their 6mm stuff like this more people would want to play!

In general I don't think 6mm is seen as a "serious" scale by a lot of people, but if done properly I think it can be wonderful.

If it isn't a rude question, where are you based Phil?

Offline Ruther

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »
What i love about 6mm is the room your army's have to maneuver. You can have an engagement on a bridge, while at the same time maneuvering a whole battle group in a flank maneuver and doing an airdrop on a complete different Location. All that on one table. Its the reason while this scale will be always the one of my choice for playing bigger engagements.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »
Myabe if more people painted their 6mm stuff like this more people would want to play!

In general I don't think 6mm is seen as a "serious" scale by a lot of people, but if done properly I think it can be wonderful.

If it isn't a rude question, where are you based Phil?

I agree, I also enjoy how 6mm can feed my megalomanic needs, so huge an army on an average table.

I'm in Kent mate.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »
Ah, Kent is a bit far from Wolverhampton  lol lol lol

I'm thinking of getting back into 6mm stuff but probably putting very little on the tabletop - going for the "empty battlefield" look.

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »
How exactly did you do the bases for the Syrian stuff? It looks really good (especially for 6mm!) I'm planning a similar project myself and would love to copy to be inspired by your basing!