Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:04:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690796
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My new town building project.  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
My new town building project.
« on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
I have decided to finally get my thumbs out and build myself an MDF town. Very much a sketchy project at the moment. I have papercraft buildings from the Whitewash City line, but wanted something more solid. The first items arrived today! Battle Flag's Sheriff's Office and Jail, Bank and Saloon and First Corp's Bordello pack minis and doctor. I ordered it all from 1st Corp and got it the day after dispatch!

I'm also awaiting delivery of interior details for the buildings from Frontline Wargaming.

There are plans of buying a few Sarissa's too and those nice wagons from 4Ground, but I need a lot more than that...

"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
Re: My new town building project.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:10:15 PM »
Welcome to the obsession that is building a Western town! I look forward to seeing your take on the buildings and interiors!
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »
Obsessive it is  :D. Welcome on board and please note from now on it will only cost you more money  lol

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
Well that's a great big start for Old West town project. It looks it won't be a petty little town.

Now, one important question, what's the name of your town?

Keen to see the buildings and your thought on them as I plan to buy some laser-cut building at some point for Dos Cruces project.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
It is worth it!

Your minis will appreciate a place to live drink and hang out, but if it aint big enough - be warned they might fight over it and even mess the joint up. 

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »
Welcome to the obsession that is building a Western town! I look forward to seeing your take on the buildings and interiors!
David

Obsession indeed. I already have enough buildings that my town's leading citizens are starting to call it a city.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:04:12 PM »
Thank you all for the encouragements and due warnings, I'm already on a slippery slope here (I need this... and that... oh, that's cool, I'll take two...), luckily my tight budget stops me from going overboard (I can sell a kidney for loads of cash  lol).

I am well impressed with the kits, and I couldn't resist the temptation so I put the Sheriff's Office and Jail together tonight (pics below)! I am in two minds about the finish on the buildings, I actually quite like the rustic bare wood texture and wouldn't have any problems playing in it. But of course, it is nicer with a bit of colour, although I'm a bit hesitant as I fear my mediocre paintjob may ruin it a bit. I might also invest in the shingles add-on kits.

@Pocoloco: The Six Gun Sound solo campaign I play features the town of Ashbury, Colorado so I'll go with that.

In the first picture, Sheriff Zebulon "Zeb" Turvey and his Deputy Amos Cross are just taking possession of their new office. In the second one they have put a rowdy cowboy away for safe keeping. The carpenter is busy fashioning other tools of their trade at the moment.  :D

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 06:10:32 AM »
That new office looks mighty fine  :-* I think I should consider getting one for myself as well... later in the year though, let the outlaws run amok for a while before the law and order arrives :D

How much would a shingle set cost? Purchasing one saves you time but making one yourself should be easy enough?

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »
Thanks.

I think the shingles are about £7, which seems a bit expensive. I might try to fashion something out of an old cornflakes box...

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 02:33:47 PM »
Here are my main sources for shingles. I don't know what the availability in the UK might be. I can pick up all three brands at my local model train store (granted Caboose Hobbies is the largest model railroad store in the US).

http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-shingles.html
http://www.wildwestmodels.com/Shake-Shingles.html
http://www.branchline-trains.com/laserart_structures/parts/shingles/shingles.html

All of these shingles are really good. My Marshal's office from Aetherworks has the Wild West Scale Model shingles and my Sarissa Precision Railroad Depot uses the ones from Branchline Trains. I think the results from both of those are excellent. I have posts here for both of those buildings. I prefer the S scale shingles for Calamity, although the O scale shingles are equally suitable. I think the HO shingles are to small for most buildings although they would provide a nice contrast on a shed attached to a building. At least one or two of these companies produce tar paper style roofing as well and I think you can get corrugated roofing from Builders in Scale, just check the websites.

I don't know of anyone that makes adobe shingles but I did stumble across a tutorial on making it in one of my model making books last night.
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 11:04:26 PM »
@Heisler: Thanks mate, I'll have a look for them at some point.

Got my resin furniture today! It's the Saloon, Bank and Sheriff's Office kits from http://www.frontlinewargaming.co.uk/ I had to clean them up a bit but think they will lend a "rustic" feeling when I get around to paint them. My fears that they were more scaled to 25 was unfounded  :).

I also put together the Battle Flag Bank today and put on the transfers, my first experience with that. I have to admit I thought the transfers were a bit of a PITA to put on, hope that they were worth the effort.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 02:55:17 AM »
Awesome stuff...when I re-do my town eventually, each building will be getting at least a half dozen bits of interior modelling.  I have a lot of separate bits I use now, but I get lazy.  I'd like to have permanent fixtures in the appropriate buildings.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 04:47:14 AM »
I certainly plan on adding interiors to all of my buildings but it can wait till other things are done.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 05:23:16 AM »
Those resin pieces look very good, great purchases. They surely will add great character to your terrain. I guess those are just more additions on my to be purchased list, it seems to grow almost daily because of LAF  :?

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
Very nice furnitures indeed. Thanks for the finding.