Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 746
Total: 754

Recent

Author Topic: 1st Burma War 'from plastic'  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
1st Burma War 'from plastic'
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:38 AM »
Having done no research what so ever...

I was wondering.  Would Perry Brothers plastic Napoleonic British serve as a good starting point to make up some 1st Burma War British infantry?

I seem to remember a famous water color of Imperial Infantry scaling a Burmese stockade.  And if I remember correctly, they looked something like Napoleonic infantry, but in Bell Top Shakos ?

Thanks,
MW

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: 1st Burma War 'from plastic'
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »
I think the Perry Carlist War Royal Marines might be a better starting point. They are already wearing a similar shako to that worn in Burma, and are similarly lightly-equipped to those fellows in the water colour. The cut of their uniform seems pretty similar, though I think they should have some lace on their chest. Just snip off the pompoms and model a waterproof cover on the shako and you have a pretty good approximation for my money.

Of course, because the British Army changed their hat every twenty minutes during the 19th Century just to fuck with us wargamers, the shakos aren't exactly right. The so-called "Regency" shako of the Burma War isn't quite the same as the Bell Shako from the Carlist War era. But under a cover I don't think anyone is going to notice.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
Sorry, I went off on a bit of a tangent of my own there, and didn't really address your question about the plastics. I'm sure it is possible, though you would be stuck with those backpacks, which the fellows in the watercolour didn't have, and the plastics are in more of a firing-line than stockade assault pose if I remember right. But a bit of jigging around with the shako and you're pretty good to go. All depends how much of a stickler you want to be.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:56:42 AM »
I've contemplated a similar project myself.  I think the Perry Brits with head swaps with their French in covered shako would be a good mix. IIRC according to the relevant Osprey (which in this instance is pretty good) the actual Regency shako was often replaced on campaign in Burma with a wicker frame covered with black oilskin. God knows where you will find suitable Burmese though.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »
Sorry, I went off on a bit of a tangent of my own there, and didn't really address your question about the plastics. I'm sure it is possible, though you would be stuck with those backpacks, which the fellows in the watercolour didn't have, and the plastics are in more of a firing-line than stockade assault pose if I remember right. But a bit of jigging around with the shako and you're pretty good to go. All depends how much of a stickler you want to be.

There's a sketch in the Osprey from the Dorset's regimental museum I think that shows the earlier canvas knapsack. Green stuff would do the job. Just a thought although I'm not sure but the new Perry plastic AWI infantry might have some examples.

former user

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »
wicker frame on the shako or on the head? like an early kind of colonial helmet?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »
Wicker frame in the shape of the regency shako with an oilskin cover. Judging by contemporary sketches a French Napoleonic covered shako in 28mm would do the job nicely.

former user

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »
sounds like a pain.... on the head  ;)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
"God knows where you will find suitable Burmese though."

'Some' of the old Foundry Tai Ping Rebellion figures might serve as a starting point, but only for 'some' of the possible wardrobe options.

I had begun work on converting Copplestone Zanzibari regulars into Burmese Royal Guard.  Just add pith helmets, and they're already bare foot.  But that would only work for the later Burmese wars.

Funny Thing Life,
MW

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
"God knows where you will find suitable Burmese though."

'Some' of the old Foundry Tai Ping Rebellion figures might serve as a starting point, but only for 'some' of the possible wardrobe options.

I had begun work on converting Copplestone Zanzibari regulars into Burmese Royal Guard.  Just add pith helmets, and they're already bare foot.  But that would only work for the later Burmese wars.

Funny Thing Life,
MW

There's also the Pontoonier range for the 3rd Anglo-Burmese War by Paul Hicks, maybe some miniatures could be used/converted. :?

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 12:05:54 PM »
Many of the figures from Timeline Miniatures should be useful, though you'll have a tough time finding an officer fully decked out in ceremonial attire.

On the other hand, Curteys' offerings just don't "look" Burmese to me, though this is a result of my having been exclusively exposed to Thai portrayals of them (this may soon change, however).

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »
Seems to me that with the possible addition of some green stuff tufted epaulettes and some lace painted on to the front of their jackets, the new Orinoco Miniatures British would be perfect for the First Burma War.

http://www.orinoco-miniatures.com/

http://handgrenadealiensgreatlament.blogspot.cz/

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »
Plynkes - that hat picture is top notch. Where did it come from?
I might pm you to ask
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »
And I might pm you back to answer.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »