Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63548 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Warband The Project, Feb. 24!]
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2015, 09:37:01 AM »
A very nice read.

Collecting various fantasy-warbands is a particular affliction of mine as well; it's nice to see and read how other people go about it.

Is the Mindflayer a reaper one? Its a pretty cool mini.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Warband The Project, Feb. 24!]
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »
INSPIRING STUFF! The War Bands with the small numbers of BEAUTIFULLY painted, WONDERFULLY diverse miniature warriors & rich background material are really most appealing to moi. AND I LOVE the Mega-Mushrooms! OUTSTANDING WORK!

Thanks! The mushrooms are from Acheson's Kickstarter from last year. My friend Josh painted them up as part of a painting swap!

Collecting various fantasy-warbands is a particular affliction of mine as well; it's nice to see and read how other people go about it.
Is the Mindflayer a reaper one? Its a pretty cool mini.

Yes, he's D'Khul, Bathalian Sorcerer, from the Reaper Warlord line I think.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »
Really nice work.  A cool retrospective and some figs I had forgotten about.

Yes, he's D'Khul, Bathalian Sorcerer, from the Reaper Warlord line I think.

Also, the same figure is now available in Bones also, simply called "Bathalian"...
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/bathalian/latest/77020
...if one were on the fence about picking it up.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »
Well, I would rather prefer him in metal - The material and detail alone being well worth the price in my opinion. (The staff is all bendy :c) Bones is great on ogre-size and up miniatures, but not so much on the humanoid sized ones Ive picked up from time to time.

At any rate, reaper-stuff is tricky to get hold of here in Denmark. There's not an awful lot of european retailers, and all of them never seem to have the minis I want  ::)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:18:43 PM by affun »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
At any rate, reaperstuff is tricky to get ahold of here in Denmark. There's not an awful lot of european retailers, and all of them never seem to have the minis I want  ::)

I usually buy from Miniature Giant, they are US-based, but they seem to be very well stocked, and always sell under RRP.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
My newly painted chaos ratmen came out to play a game of Open Combat with a few friends last week. Here a couple pics of the rats in action!

And somehow I forgot to post this pic, one of my favorites of my new (old school) chaos ratmen.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Terrain update, Feb. 18!]
« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »
When the Clock of Omens strikes thirteen, families know to bar the door and place their heaviest cook-pots atop open drains and sewer pipes. For it is the Hour of the Rat, when the chittering hordes surge from the under-depths, led by fearsome chaos ratmen armored in scavenged mail and plate, and wielding blades of corrupted steel. They visit the surface world to raid for treasure and slaves -- but the day may yet come when these ratmen do not slink back into the catacombs at dawn, but instead stay to rule the realm that they have conquered.

You made that sound more Lovecraftian than GW has managed to do. :D Nice work on the minis! How difficult was it to get your hands on them?

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Terrain update, Feb. 18!]
« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
You made that sound more Lovecraftian than GW has managed to do. :D Nice work on the minis! How difficult was it to get your hands on them?

Thanks! I acquired the Skaven at a game auction last year. They were poorly painted, bouncing around loose in a plastic bag, and the seller obviously didn't know he had vintage Citadel metal on his hands. I paid less than $1 per figure I think!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Chaos Ratmen, 14 March!]
« Reply #248 on: April 01, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
I'm on paternity leave at the moment, but here's a look at the last terrain piece I completed before pivoting away from modeling to raise my new baby. It's a Hirst Arts Wizard Tower that I acquired fully assembled but unfinished. I painted it and attached it to an appropriate scenic base.

Read more about the project here: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2015/03/repainting-hirst-arts-wizard-tower.html

And here are a few pics of the finished piece.

Built-up rocky foundation on the base.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Wizard Tower, 31 March!]
« Reply #249 on: April 01, 2015, 03:51:54 PM »
Congratulations for the baby!
The tower is brillant, as are the Skaven  8) 8) 8)

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #250 on: April 01, 2015, 04:09:41 PM »
I really like that tower. I need to get some hirst stuff. I also like the BTD dwarf.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #251 on: April 01, 2015, 07:06:23 PM »
Had the opportunity to see the tower in person yesterday evening.  It's really nicely done.  I've seen a number of examples of this exact model (It's the suggested starter model for HA casting) over the years.  I don't recall the exact precision of construction of the others, but this example has far the best presentation and basing jobs.  Nicely disused without making it look like a ruin. 

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #252 on: April 01, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »
Some absolutely gorgeous stuff you have created there. Keep it going!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »
I'm slowly developing bits and pieces of Frostvale, my homebrew fantasy setting, which will exist alongside our club campaign world to create fun options for scenarios and crossover games. The setting represents my fantasy ideal -- a windswept, Scandinavian-inspired land of teetering mountains, dark forests, mysterious runestones, benighted dungeons, tumbledown ruins, overgrown altars, lonely watchtowers, hardscrabble villages and plenty of unexplored wilderness.

My newest addition to the world of Frostvale is not really a warband per se ,.. rather, it is a collection of barbarians from the countless hill tribes that occupy the foothills of the Blue-Rime Mountains. I have been wanting to try painting up some ridiculously muscled dudes for quite some time, and half-naked barbarians seemed like the perfect excuse to do so.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:17 AM »
Looking good. This thread is a great inspiration. Looking forward to your next skirmish battle report, I always enjoy reading those. Where are those barbarian miniatures from?