Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63708 times)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Thanks, stone-cold-lead. And would you believe I regularly get 'em all on the game table together? These days my group only plays games that don't restrict what minis you put on the table, so we can collect and paint whatever strikes our fancy.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
More adventurers! Actually, I don't know if you can rightly call these guys adventurers. They mostly just carry loot from the dungeon back to town. I have a real soft spot for miniatures that look like they're doing something other than fighting, and aren't obviously carrying weapons.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
And here's an odd pairing -- I wasn't sure where to put these 2 figures. On the left is a pack mule, outfitted with a sturdy frame for use in the dungeon or in the wilderness. I can't remember exactly where I got this mule...he came in a 2-pack with another slightly different sculpt. On the right is the first dwarf I ever painted -- I believe he's a Citadel berserker? He literally looks like a gigantic beard with arms and legs. Yes, that is a severed head on his hip.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
 :o  :-*  :-*

You mean there are little fellows an mules that carry all the loot back to town? I always wondered how my adventurer could carry so much treasure and scrap!  lol

I really love the fellow with the box on his back. Is he OOP or still available somewhere?

That's an amazing paintjob on the dwarf, great effort!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
I really love the fellow with the box on his back. Is he OOP or still available somewhere?

That is a Grenadier figure from the 1980s and, I believe, he is long OOP. The thing he is carrying on his back is actually a big ol' treasure chest! It's hard to see because of the angle.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:34:12 PM by PatrickWR »

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Who the heck is this guy? The package labeled him as "Duke Ice Falcon" from Crucible. But I painted him up as maybe a dark elf warlord or something. I'm not entirely sure what I was going for with this paint scheme. But I do remember that I wanted to use purple paint!

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Hi Patrick,
 He is from Ral Partha, they came up with a warhammer type game called Crucible with different types of armies etc. He is painted up really well, I like the purple armour and the hex base.

Damien

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Oh, that's good to know. I actually have several other minis from the Crucible game line, still boxed up in the blister packs. Guess I better paint 'em up!

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
I like the mule and grenadier figs and agree that henchmen really add a lot to the experience. Have you seen the grenadier potion tester?  lol  I need to get that guy. The huge-headed dwarf is Heartbreaker Hobbies from the nineties. I have one or two and I don't know what to do it with. Maybe a huge face chaos mutation figure.

Offline Nedo

• Librarian
Nice minis.....
However, I would have made the bases a little more homogeneous....maybe all round bases.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
However, I would have made the bases a little more homogeneous....maybe all round bases.

No way! I like the glorious mess that comes from having a mishmash of bases on the table. Perhaps this stems from my RPG background...I originally painted these guys up for D&D, not wargaming, so it wasn't essential to have a uniform basing system. And now I play skirmish games that also don't require uniform basing. So it all works out in the end.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Skeletal Dragon!!]
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »
Alright, here's a kit I picked up, half-painted and poorly assembled, at an auction back in March. It's a Reaper Skeletal Dragon, 02705 by Bob Olley! I put it in paint stripper for a few days, scrubbed off most of the old, cracked paint, and started over from scratch. I have a pretty big undead army, so this guy will definitely be the centerpiece of some future battles.

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
love the dragon, and that purple armoured dude!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
love the dragon, and that purple armoured dude!

Thanks! And that's how we refer to him in games. "OK, I'll have my goblin warrior charge that, uh, purple armored dude."

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »
My game club freely mixes old school and newer figures. Really, our whole goal with our skirmish games (both sci-fi and fantasy) is to just paint up whatever looks cool to us at the time. Case in point: these Mantic Orcs. I split Mantic's big holiday grab bag (basically 100 random sprues from all their figure lines) with a few other guys in my club, so we all ended up with a handful of figures from each race and faction.

These Orcs are nice because 1) they're really close to true 28mm, leaving room on your table for something "bigger than Orcs" and 2) they've got decent armor, including some fully enclosed helmets, which you don't often see for Orcs.