Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Horus Heresy Book (Forge world)  (Read 8706 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: The Horus Heresy Book (Forge world)
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »
Pete know your heresy history! Full tilt chaos was around the siege of terra. Anything before go for brother versus brother. And the other reason for not going forge world is my heresy memories and artwork I have has all mks up to mkvi in bucket loads.  Mixed armour,  artificer armour and from the ccg card game artwork, lots of non cannon little changes.

After all, if your old enough to remember this shit first time round,  do it your way.

;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:48:29 AM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
Your forgetting, £70 for the book, plus £1000 for 250pts of space marines
(Unless you went the cheap ass gamer route and just did it in GW plastics, then your games can be unrecognizable as horus heresy games thereby waisting the £70 book...plus your 250pt force from GW might still set you back £500 with current prices)

These sums seem to have been pulled out of the sky.

30 FW Marines will cost you £160 and can provide between 460 and 690+ pts as tactical marines. A super expensive resin tank, say a Spartan, is £95 for for a model that normally runs at 340 pts. It is also £95 for a 350/370 pt Typhon. So your £1000 looks like it would actually provide a much larger army then you state.

Expensive, yes, very expensive, but why make-up numbers?  :?

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
At lunch time I had a read of AOTE. Very nice. I was impressed by how well written it is. When ever I normally read any of the official GW fluff I generally feel a wave of nausea (I'm talking about fluff in the rule books, not any of the novels). It always seems like it is written by a spotty 17 year old who has been snorting liquid green stuff off Jervis Johnsons breasts.
This just seems to have more maturity. No idea how it stacks up against the FW HH book1.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »
This just seems to have more maturity. No idea how it stacks up against the FW HH book1.

I'd say the proofreading for AotE is better.  lol ;)

Seriously though, although the Forgeworld books are generally rather well done and stand head and shoulders above the usual GW fare, I've found that pretty much every book suffers from typos and strange sentence structure in places (most of the time, it seems to be a case of trying to sound ominous or dramatic). The Betrayal book seemed a bit better, but I've only read it once as I don't own it myself.

The FW book is primarily much more "shiny", with impressive production values, and less crowded when it comes to layout and spacing of content.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »
:o
Bloody hell. I thought the old Beakies could be used? I have to admit I'm not really up on the 'history'

That's what I'm doing with mine, the beaky armour was a prototype at the start of the heresy and wasen't issued in big numbers till the fighting had really kicked off, priority was given to the legions who were at the massacre. and it's easy to convert the current plastic marines to heresy, thrim the ridges off shoulderpades and stick bumps all over the armour.
Yvan eht nioj!

workerBee

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »
Okay, this must be a GW thing that I am missing but...

If the game is between friends (never done the tournament thing with any set of rules) can't you just use whatever you have?

I mean," X stands for Y" is an old Grognard technique from my 1970's Fantasy and Napoleonic playing days...

Gracias,

Glenn

the heretic in so many matters

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »
Sounds fine to me Glenn  :D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »
Refuting WYSIWYG? The rumbling in the halls of Nottingham sound like the very voice of doom!

Seriously, while I can't abide it, I do understand the rules/expansions/codeci/WD pronouncements get so fiddly, the special character characteristics so arcane, you have to have exactly the right model to have a clue how to play, and, more important, play against...

Knowing plenty of fanboys, it actually makes sense, except for the whole part of not avoiding the pain in the first place.

If you love it, and plenty do, you learn what you have to sacrifice.

Doug

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 05:58:10 PM »
These sums seem to have been pulled out of the sky.

30 FW Marines will cost you £160 and can provide between 460 and 690+ pts as tactical marines. A super expensive resin tank, say a Spartan, is £95 for for a model that normally runs at 340 pts. It is also £95 for a 350/370 pt Typhon. So your £1000 looks like it would actually provide a much larger army then you state.

Expensive, yes, very expensive, but why make-up numbers?  :?

Oh dear, sarcasm and exaggerations are staples of the british way of being, but even so why would any sane person pay £160 for 30 models full of airholes?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »
All I know is I blame you Pete for me putting together five mkIII marines with five more on the go....

Well it's not your fault.  30k has always been my millenia of choice if I'm being honest.

;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:50:57 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »
Oh dear, sarcasm and exaggerations are staples of the british way of being, but even so why would any sane person pay £160 for 30 models full of airholes?

I don't recall exaggeration being a feature 'of the british (sic) way of being' - quite the contrary in fact. Still, perhaps that was your self proclaimed sarcasm in action  lol

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »
£160 for 30 space mrines, equalling about 1/5 of the minis needed?  lol lol lol lol lol

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »
£160 for 30 space mrines, equalling about 1/5 of the minis needed?  lol lol lol lol lol
Which, to be honest, and scary, because of it only being 1/5, it actually is close to £1000...not including vehicles, basing materials, characters, etc etc...so you might actually be over £1000...wow, that's 2400 French Napoleonic plastic figures, compared to 150-200 badly cast and fragile forge world models.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
Which, to be honest, and scary, because of it only being 1/5, it actually is close to £1000...not including vehicles, basing materials, characters, etc etc...so you might actually be over £1000...wow, that's 2400 French Napoleonic plastic figures, compared to 150-200 badly cast and fragile forge world models.

I'd say you can have the best games with just 30-40 figures and the bunker rules, less if you use 2ed (although you'll have to fiddle up your own special rules for those).

So while FW can get quite expensive quite quickly, it is less of a moneypit than you make it out (and better value, IMHO, than regular GW). Also, out of several dozen FW kits I assembled and painted to date, I only had a single bad one (albeit really bad), but they replaced it within 48 hours by courier, free of charge, and I got to keep the usable bits from the defective kits. Good customer service in my book, far better than with regular GW.

It's less acceptable with the Finecast stuff, which I have found to be far less reliable quality-wise, which IMHO is not acceptable for a product which is supposed to be a regular-run kit (as per GW marketing  lol).

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
I'd say you can have the best games with just 30-40 figures and the bunker rules, less if you use 2ed (although you'll have to fiddle up your own special rules for those).

So while FW can get quite expensive quite quickly, it is less of a moneypit than you make it out (and better value, IMHO, than regular GW). Also, out of several dozen FW kits I assembled and painted to date, I only had a single bad one (albeit really bad), but they replaced it within 48 hours by courier, free of charge, and I got to keep the usable bits from the defective kits. Good customer service in my book, far better than with regular GW.

It's less acceptable with the Finecast stuff, which I have found to be far less reliable quality-wise, which IMHO is not acceptable for a product which is supposed to be a regular-run kit (as per GW marketing  lol).

I agree with this for sure.

Fun Fact:

A pack of Forge World's Legion Plasma or Melta Guns cost less than a pack of Citadel's metal versions, with mre than double the weapons. (And if there should be issues with the casts, you get more free of charge  :D)