Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Working on some terrain, and I'm stumped about mixing 'styles' of buildings.  (Read 2096 times)

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
Hey all, need some suggestions.

I have a lot of the typical 'fantasy' type buildings, but we have been playing a bit more steampunk and/or grittier type of games.  So I wanted to change up the terrain.  I have worked out a few buildings like this:

and

But would these look good mixed some more buildings like this (though far, far dirtier and grungy): 

I can't decide.  Suggestions?  Should I just say screw it and start cranking out more of these dirty brick like buildings for the steampunk settings?  Or do you think a building that has a nice mixture of brick and 'plaster and wood' will look okay?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Mixed building styles are not unknown.

Have you ever been here:

http://www.portmeirion-village.com/

But for your mixed brick & half timber question, just look for pictures of Victorian York or Chester (or possibly other provincial towns)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
I googled my village:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=prestbury+gloucestershire&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7olUUfOsHtKg0wW6uIDwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CGAQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=796

A strannge mix of timber-framed houses with thatched roof all mixed with a variety of styles of houses up to the 21st C.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
Some removable items which bring the half-timbered structures 'up to date' might tie everything together, stick a pillar box or greenhouse outside perhaps?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Some removable items which bring the half-timbered structures 'up to date' might tie everything together, stick a pillar box or greenhouse outside perhaps?

Or removable doors etc? (perhaps fitted with magnets), door styles are fairly distinctive for different periods. Windows probably more so, but houses have a lot more of them.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
A lot of older buildings still retain their original features, more so in a village than a town.....

But, yes, adding features like Post boxes, lighting, vehicles, etc, will set the period.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Although the real world has a lot of odd mixing, I find that gaming tables that attempt that look "fake". I think it is because a gaming table is an idea of the world and should only try and stick to a few things. That being said, if you are good with keeping a consistent colour palette, you can get away with some mixing of styles.

Offline Benny

• Librarian
Roofing is a big deal for me. When tile or thatch were all the rage thats what people used, then with the introduction of corrugated iron that became something or a revolution in the industrialized world, its a Victorian invention (most people think its more modern than that). So with that in mind maybe some of the old thatch or tile roves when they needed to be replaced were replaced with Corrugated iron? Old style building with more modern roof? In and around Australia i have seen this happen a lot out in small country towns or at community and church halls. Big old brick or blue stone buildings retrofitted with corrugated iron roofing.
Maybe that would change some of the style of building and match them across a little.
Also there is the Privateer Press idea. Take older style buildings, like your wattle and Daub building and add some more modern touches to bring them into a grittier steampunk setting.
Metal grates over windows, metal window shutters with rivets on them, metal doors with lots of rivets. Steam pipes and clockwork gears that run along the outside of the building in places.
Ridley Scott did something similar when he made Blade Runner, he was given the old studio back lot to work with. Unable to build a whole new set he went about taking the existing buildings and retrofitting them with conduits and signs and cabling all over the outside. This changed the look of the buildings lots with just some surface embellishments and weathering.

http://www.chrismrogers.net/architecture-blade-runner/4564812546
That should be the blade runner article.

http://privateerpress.com/hobby/hobby-blog/khadoran-inn-contest-winner
And that should be the Privateer Press stuff.
I hope that helps.

Offline quizmaster

• Student
  • 60+ years old and still playing with toy soldiers
As with all cities and towns you've old and new parts mixing them would be a good idea when you play steampunk stylied games. You can even have a tudor style building renovated with modern parts. All you need in fact is your own fantasy to create the look you want. For background info search the web for 19th century buildings you'll surely will find enough.

Have fun.
Bert

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
I live next to Chester...

All the styles mix. With the possible exception of 1960's concrete monstrosities.