Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sharp Practice for the 15th century, a AAR  (Read 4788 times)

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
Sharp Practice for the 15th century, a AAR
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
Sharp Practice is a Toofatlardies game for skirmishes in the Black Powder era, and after seeing some amazing mods and games using these rules for the Wars of the Roses i just had to have a go.
If you don't know them, here's the links to the pages:
Silver Whistle, before... http://wargamingwithsilverwhistle.blogspot.fr/2013/01/medieval-terrain-for-war-of-roses-game.html
and the game... http://wargamingwithsilverwhistle.blogspot.fr/2013/02/war-of-roses-sharp-practice-game.html
Norsey gamer did a couple of battles too... http://steveswargamingpage.blogspot.fr/2013/02/wars-of-roses-lardy-style.html

Feeling inspired, i bought the rules, made the cards and had a go.

The English have two groups of archers, one of billmen and one of men at arms. The French have a group of crossbowmen, a small group of mounted men at arms, some foot men at arms, some pikemen and some handgunners.

The table, with two English blinds on the left, the French coming in on the right. The French must loot the building on the left.

Thomas and his men deploy and spot a column of French soldiers marching between the houses. They let loose a volley, killing a man and shocking the French.

Hugh and the billmen deploy. The target is the building. (Note half finished footbridge, made of plastic sprues)

Two French soldiers begin to loot one of one of the houses.

Under heavy fire, the French decide to pull back, rally and have another go. They move to the shelter of the houses.

French crossbowmen deploy and begin harassing the English from afar.

The rest of the English arrive. John, who leads the other archers, is slightly concerned when on of his men is killed by a quarrel and decides to fall back (the Fear card).

Thomas spots some handgunners by a fence (half finished again) and loose some arrows, killing one. The handgunners return fire, killing no one but surprising the archers.

"Right, you over there, you that way..."
Guillame Legrand (the French lord) begins to restore some order to his infantry and gets them moving.

A eye's view from John's archers. The French crossbowmen are in the distance.

The other way around.

The French infantry move around the village and try to charge the archers, but their progress is slowed by a rain of arrows. Progress slows, and finally the French begin to fall back after making it 10 inches short of the archers.

Hugh decides to advance and meet the French men at arms in combat. He also blocks the line of fire for the archers (damn you impetuousness!).

The French gladly meet the challenge, despite begin outnumbered.
The light was failing at this point so i had to use flash. The little cards in the wheat are the Grasp the Nettles cards, there so i don't forget they're in play.

Avancez! The soldiers aren't having it, and after two of their comrades fall from the bodkin arrows they begin  to fall back.

The French elites charge and after three rounds there is a kill on both sides and they break apart for a breather. The French are shaken though and pull back further.

Guillame, frustrated by the lack of success, rides forward, ready to charge, but comes under heavy fire that shocks his men.

We'll be back... The pikemen have had enough for today.

One of the elites passes out wounded (or drunk!).

Guillame chooses to pull back and save his men for another day. The English jeer them as they pull away.
View at the end of the battle.

I plan to run a series of linked games, with Thomas eventually going to England to join in the feuding there (once i have some more English painted up).

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
Re: Sharp Practice for the 15th century, a AAR
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
So, how does SP compare to Dux Brit for this period? Do you fancy one more than the other?
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »
I'm partially favourable to SP. I find it's more flexible, not just 6 man groups but you can have any number up to 12 men. You can also differenciate between bows and crossbows (faster shooting for the former and hitting harder for the latter) and the bonus deck is easier to change than the Fate deck in DB. You also have blinds, adding a nice touch of fog of war.

Obiously i might be slightly bias towards SP as my last game of DB wasn't as good. I didn't enjoy it as much because of a couple of things. So for the moment i'm tending towards SP.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:05:53 PM »
Yet another use for SP! Looks like it played pretty well. Do you think this mod would work for high-medieval fantasy? I'm struggling to find a set of large skirmish fantasy rules that are quite right for me - hadn't thought of using Sharp Practice...

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »
Yet another use for SP! Looks like it played pretty well. Do you think this mod would work for high-medieval fantasy? I'm struggling to find a set of large skirmish fantasy rules that are quite right for me - hadn't thought of using Sharp Practice...

I guess so. If you have magic it could be classed as a missile weapon or removing shock, or raising dead, etc. Give it a go i say!

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:39:34 AM »
what unit size were you using? :)

and I have to agree that SP is better than Dux :-*

Although I do quite like the before and after bits in "DUX :D
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:03:06 AM »
I guess so. If you have magic it could be classed as a missile weapon or removing shock, or raising dead, etc. Give it a go i say!

Good ideas on the magic. I shall add this to my "pondering" list which helps me endure boring meetings  ;)

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
what unit size were you using? :)

and I have to agree that SP is better than Dux :-*

Although I do quite like the before and after bits in "DUX :D

8 men for the archers, 10 for the billmen and pikemen, 6 for the men at arms. Between 8 and 10 is a good number for average troops.
And you could always use the before and after bits with SP battle rules (as i might in the future).

Good ideas on the magic. I shall add this to my "pondering" list which helps me endure boring meetings  ;)

I have a notebook in my bag for when i'm at school, helps me stay sane in philosophy  :D

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »
I am really intrigued with this idea, can't wait to try it.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.