Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:47:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 749
Total: 755

Recent

Author Topic: Cork tile marsh ground?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Cork tile marsh ground?
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
I been hunting around the boards here (and  :o a few other sites) to see how marshes are made and in most cases all I come across are areas of scatter material (often on CDs) where the grass area is built up with putty / foam and the base becomes the bottom of the water.

I'm currently looking at a small board (along the lines of my ice board) and wondered about the following method:

1) Push random holes in thin cork roll (approx 2.4mm thick)
2) Paint the board as water - just where the holes would be is an option
3) Stick the cork down as the playing surface
4) Paint the cork and flock it

My initial thoughts are the main marsh will be flat (not too much of an issue on a 2x2 board) and the paint / flock may go into the water.  Other consideration is that the edge of the land / water will be a step and not a slope - maybe a bit of filler / green stuff to handle this?

Andrew

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
Re: Cork tile marsh ground?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:31:13 PM »
There's a nice guide in GW's Two Towers book which involves using foamboard (foamcore), peeling the top layer off and digging out channels. the islands between become the land, and you can fill the gaps with water effect.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:46:42 PM »
It's a marsh, don't worry about flock in the water  ;)

You can do a pretty good marsh effect with flock and gloss varnish. Paint the board brown, gloss varnish it heavily and add flock in patches. Quick, easy and looks good. If we had nice weather I'd pull mine out of the garage and take a pic.

Another method is to cover a painted board with plastic 'ripple effect' and gloss that. Gives you a big water area and you just make the land areas as though you were making hills which you then use as scatter terrain.

The one I wish I could afford to do is a deep, clear resin that I've modelled all the underwater details into etc. Then do the hill style scatter terrain.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:24:08 AM »
There's a nice guide in GW's Two Towers book which involves using foamboard (foamcore), peeling the top layer off and digging out channels. the islands between become the land, and you can fill the gaps with water effect.

I'm a bit stuck for depth at the mo (all will be revealed next week <ooh no misses for Brits of a mature age>) and read many a horror story on getting the paper off foam core (inc some chemicals I would not want to handle).  Saying that though, link is handy as I am in Nottingham on Saturday and may just pop into a certain shop to have a browse  :D

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
  • "Left hand down a bit ...."
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
Another cork option would be to buy a large cheap corkboard, remove the frame and stick in the bath with a few inches of water and peel the attached corrugated cardboard off.  It takes about three goes to remove each layer after which you could glue to any thickness or type of surface required. 

Or then again you could just leave the cardboard on ;)
"My God, it's full of stars".  Dave Bowman.