Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old school adventurers : work in progress  (Read 13195 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Old school adventurers : work in progress
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »
Hi,

First, I bought Dungeon and Dragons adventure system games (Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon). I played it solo, and liked it a lot. It remembered me the good old days playing D&D or Warhammer RPGs.

After Warrior Heroes Legends has been released, I bought it and  started to work on all the parts of a whole project : playing miniatures light RPG in solitaire; with all fancy stuff I didn't have when I was younger : fully painted 3d scenery, 3d dungeons, fully painted miniatures.

For exterior scenery, I'll use heroscape pimped sets + all usual scenery (trees, houses, bridges, roads). It's currently under progress, you can follow the project here :

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42012.15

For 3d dungeons, you can follow the project here (it started as an addition to D&D wrath of ashardalon, and became a part of my new project) :  

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42009.0

And for miniatures, you can see my first batch of monsters (for now, repainted or painted plastic D&D minis...I have to finish the ravenloft box painting too...I also hope, in the future, to replace them by metal classic fantasy creatures) here :

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=41980.0

Then, after reading some interesting topics here concerning old school minis (Ral Partha, Grenadier, etc...), and remembering that I had some of these figs in my youth, I start thinking about making all my heroes in metal classic fantasy miniatures.

So I found and restaured some lost minis (ral partha adventurers) I had in all my mess (I hope the classes I give are the good ones) :

3 stages Cleric :

Gnome Illusionnist, halfling thief :

Dwarf fighter, human ranger :

Human assassin (very small comparing other humans I have, true 25mm mini I guess...any other idea for possible race representation very welcome), human fighter (need to be fixed)

Elf fighter :

Today I received a few new figures (ral partha again) :

dusty new old stock !  lol

Some dwarf fighters :

One 3 stages character female fighter :

And I'm waiting for another delivery of minis, mostly figures to complete 2 or 3 stages characters incarnations (to use in my games as the same character in diferent states :  beginner, intermediate and experienced, depanding their level).

I started the work basing the first figures on wargames factory bases (quite similar to D&D minis bases, to better match my monsters, and also bring the minis a few millimeters of extra height). I also textured the bases (3d effect acrylic paint).

I wanted clean simple bases, to match both d&d minis I have (based in flat black), exterior and dungeons scenery, and to keep them as "sober" and classic as possible.

To be continued. Now I need to finish basing for the newcomers, prepare the figures for primer (I think about black primer, wich is unusual for me, but as the minis are quite small...It will be easier to reveal the details, I believe?).

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:49:05 PM by sundayhero »

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Old school adventurers : work in progress
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »
very nice figures i like the dwarfs

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »
Really like the figures - what is that brown 3d acrylic paint stuff you use to build up the bases? It seems to work wonders - much better than my attempts with Polyfilla or its equivalents.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:11:19 PM »
Excellent selection of figures, Sunday.  :-*  I will be following this thread with great interest!
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »
Thanks for the comments,

Concerning the bases thick paint, it's made by Raphael, named "3D color" :

http://www.raphael.fr/catalogue/home_deco/home_deco.pdf

You can apply it with an old brush, a color shaper or a painting knife. You can add water to make it more or less muddy, or more similar to dirt.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 07:37:02 PM »
Today I finished the bases of the last figures I received :

Tommorow, I'll finish preparation, then a coat of black primer, and next week, I'll start painting  8)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »
I love those dwarves, I believe they were called 'Elite Dwarf Guards' (or something like that), sculpted by Tom Meier. Tom is the reason the old Partha sculpts are so awesome. Btw, I have these guys too, they paint up really well.

Can't wait to see these painted up,
 Damien

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »
I also like the ral partha dwarfs, it's why I bought it (really a bargain)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:15 AM »
 :-* :-* :-*
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:59:51 PM »
Here's the last additions until painting begins !

the 2 stages dwarf (only 2 stages, the 3rd one is too diferent for my own taste) :

the 2 stages human fighter (intermediate stage will be there soon) :

the 3 stages human ranger (beginner stage will be there soon) :

2 NPCs (allies) :

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 02:22:29 AM »
Man I love all these minis, they bring back so many memories. I remember your superhero thread and love your painting style, I think that you are going to make these minis look fantastic; can't wait to see them all painted up. (You are also making me jealous, I don't have a lot of the minis you are posting).

Cheers,
 Damien

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 02:56:06 AM »
Looking very cool so far!!!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 04:31:13 AM »
Love the old school stuff...really awesome!  :o
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:33 AM »
Thanks

Some of them are really vintage, bought (already a bargain in a wargames store, when I was student) about 15 years ago (the "dungeon!" adventurers pack).

Some of them are coming from special offers on a french e-store (about 2euros for the guard dwarfs, and maybe 3 for the 3 stages female warrior). The other ones came from Ral pArtha e-store (a bit more pricey, but still reasonnable comparing to some other companies, and the airmail shipping cost is really decent and fast from UK to france).
I also can't wait to start painting. I'm not sure of the technics I'll use for now. I usually paint big minis (30-32mm), where there is "a lot of room" to work.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
Hi,

Here's the last miniatures I received. Now my band and NPCS are all there.

The 3stages elve mage fighter (too cool) :

The beginner stage of the 3stages human ranger :

the completed 3 stages human fighter (I added the intermediate stage, I still have to fix the broken axe on the experienced stage figure) :

The 2 stages halfling thief (or rogue?) :

All my 3 stage characters :

My 2 stages characters (I didn't liked the intermediate minis...But maybe I'll buy them anyway to have the complete range) :

I'll finished the current 30 zombies project I have this week (and finish basing my last adventurers), and hopefully I'll start painting my adventurers this week end.