Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:30:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Gold of Welsh Josey (AAR with Pics!!!"  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
The Gold of Welsh Josey (AAR with Pics!!!"
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »
Tonight I had a game against a guy at the local gaming club, and it was great fun! We were using THW’s Six Gun Sound rules and the scenario I had come up with was as follows:

The legendary gunslinger Jedediah “Welsh” Josey was in town to recover his buried gold. The leaders on both sides used to ride with him and wanted the money too! I played the Outlaw side and my opponent played the Lawmen side.

Special Rules:
- They had to neutralize Welsh Josey to get him to spill the beans of the whereabouts of the loot.

- The first one to enter the saloon where he was had to face him in a Draw challenge. After that the turns would be as normal.

- When he was taken care of, roll 1D6 for location of the loot, starting at the left-topmost building and working around the board edges (4 buildings and 2 locations).

- If a team took out all in the opposing team before challenging Welsh Josey, BOTH teams would lose as he had been given enough time to abscond with his money.

I rolled pretty crap on most occasions but in the end only the two leaders were standing, I made a last ditch effort to come out on top but due to my ability to roll "1's" on my leader's shooting rolls (any "1" means you're out of ammo on a pistol and have to reload) I failed to hit his leader hard enough. Anyways it was a fun, good game that took less than two hours to play and my opponent was not familiar with the rules. We did skip some of the alternative ones, ie, horses within 6" of gunfire, trying to ride a horse and a few others which we might add when both are more familiar with the system.

Hope you’ll enjoy this little Bat-Rep!

"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Gold of Welsh Josey (AAR with Pics!!!"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:50:29 PM »
Looks like a damn good time, and appropriately bloody (I think my SnS games average 80% casualty rates!)  lol  Couple of things.

1) I see I'm not the only one who figured out how to make modular wagons (ie. horses on card, with wagons placed on the rear of the card when needed!).  I abandoned mine for a bit though as I had to use the horses in a pinch.

2) Who makes the cabin in your pictures?  Looks pretty slick.  Nice playable piece.

3) Keep workin' on Obsession...it looks good!  (and creepily similar to the origins of Drake's Branch!) :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »
Looks like a damn good time, and appropriately bloody (I think my SnS games average 80% casualty rates!)  lol  Couple of things.

1) I see I'm not the only one who figured out how to make modular wagons (ie. horses on card, with wagons placed on the rear of the card when needed!).  I abandoned mine for a bit though as I had to use the horses in a pinch.

2) Who makes the cabin in your pictures?  Looks pretty slick.  Nice playable piece.

3) Keep workin' on Obsession...it looks good!  (and creepily similar to the origins of Drake's Branch!) :D

In the rules it's only really 2 out of 10 results that makes a figure OD (Obviously Dead) mostly it's due to an incapacitating wound but they'll live... I think in total we scored OD results 3 times which are quite unusual.

1) I have glued the wagons down and have the horses just fixed with Blu-Tack at the mo (really need to paint them soon), but probably will keep the Blue-Tack.

2) The cabin is from Sarissa's North American 28mm line, House with Porch - Stone Chimney #2 http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/store/northamerican/

3) Cheers, I will! Just need a "few" more things...  :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:05:54 AM »
Yeah I gotcha, the campaign rules for SnS will be similar to LOTOW --- a model may be taken "out of action" in the game but will have a chance to properly recover post-game, so genuine deaths will be limited.

Hmmm, see I have my horses which will be glued to the stand, and then the wagons will be placed on the stand or left off for use as terrain...so we're doing it backwards to each other!

Sarissa?  Okay, gotcha.  I thought it looked familiar, couldn't remember where I'd seen something similar. 

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:58 AM »
Yeah I gotcha, the campaign rules for SnS will be similar to LOTOW --- a model may be taken "out of action" in the game but will have a chance to properly recover post-game, so genuine deaths will be limited.

Hmmm, see I have my horses which will be glued to the stand, and then the wagons will be placed on the stand or left off for use as terrain...so we're doing it backwards to each other!

Sarissa?  Okay, gotcha.  I thought it looked familiar, couldn't remember where I'd seen something similar. 

The campaign rules for Six Gun Sound are really, really good, but I doubt I ever will get the chance to play one, bar solo-play. Recovery between scenarios, experience etc. BUT OD is still dead, bought the farm, meet the maker regardless of Reputation, even the best of the best can die from a lucky shot...

I tried LOTOW first when I got into the hobby but found them very unbalanced if someone got a bit ahead of the others, very much an uphill struggle.

Mostly it was because I had to be able to paint the horses, but maybe it's my Swedish nature...  lol

Yup, a very nice piece of kit, might buy some resin furniture for it as well...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:29:43 AM »
I agree LOTOW gets really old, really fast.  Shame as it could have been truly great.  I agree once a posse gets ahead it becomes almost completely hopeless.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 04:14:53 AM »
Legionnaire, like the pictures but I've got to be honest.  Even blowing up the text boxes they were just too blurry to read.  Like the idea of how you did but need clearer text.

Look forward to seeing your progress as Obsession builds up.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 02:43:46 AM »
Legionnaire, like the pictures but I've got to be honest.  Even blowing up the text boxes they were just too blurry to read.  Like the idea of how you did but need clearer text.

Look forward to seeing your progress as Obsession builds up.

Sorry for the late answer FifteensAway. I only muck around with it in MSPaint and sometimes I probably keep inconsistent text sizes, I'll keep that in mind for later Bat-Reps.