Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 276538 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Okay, so, here goes with another start-to-finish project thread.
Can't promise it will be as long-running and fulsome as my Wars of The Roses Mounted Men-At-Arms thread started a year ago, but we shall see...  :)

Michael Perry kindly gave me a box of his new 8th Army plastic figures, launched yesterday at Salute (point to note, that's precisely one year after the first 3-Ups were first shown, so that bodes well for improved production timelines in the Perry pipeline).

I obviously couldn't wait to get cracking, so have just made a few up. I'm going to say as a find, and point things out along the way.

My mission is to use these fabulous plastic figures to create poses that are realistic yet not always predictable. I hope it provides some interesting ideas and tips for others modelling these figures.

First things first - the figures are very sharply moulded in a pleasing sandy coloured plastic. (I trust the Afrika Korps, when they arrive, will be moulded in a slightly yellower tone, as tradition demands :))
Mould lines are present but slight. Pretty easy to clean up.

Second thing to note - the figures are small. Almost a good head shorter than the equivalent poses in the Perry plastic Wars of the Roses sets.
They are also slighter and finer. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. They are, effectively, more finely detailed scale models. But they will be fractionally harder to paint for those of us with ageing eyeballs  ::)

First impressions of the main sprue (I haven't really considered the command sprue yet) is that it is jam-packed with components.
Second impression is that because the heads are joined to the bodies, not separate, and because quite a few of the arms are already attached in pairs to the weapons, there is a degree of limitation in how much genuine 'multi-poseability' can be achieved.
Still a fabulous range of permutations of course - but not completely unrestricted. Unless you want to get busy with a scalpel - which of course, I do!  :D

First figure out of the box. Infantryman thrusting with fixed bayonet.
I wanted to capture what to me, is the iconic image of the Desert Rat, advancing, bayonet fixed through the desert haze, ready to engage the enemy at the point of steel. I used the body which I think is intended to be throwing a grenade. The dynamic posture seemed to me to suit someone who has just lunged. I used the helmet with the chinstrap hooked up over the rim - again, very characteristic, even though I'm sure most men would have put their chinstraps on if they were going into action...

Things to note.

Some of the helmets with the chinstrap up are fixed to the frame / sprue by the back helmet rim (like this one). They are easy to clean up and very usable.
Unfortunately, some are fixed to the sprue by the front rim. I tried twice and it's very very difficult to detach these helmets from the sprue without obliterating the front rim of the helmet. Hmmm. Tricky. Will have to take supreme care in future, or these helmets are effectively wasted components.

Ditto with the separate unsheathed bayonets (all the rifles come with bayonets unfixed). They're joined to the sprue halfway along the top edge of the bayonet. It's very difficult, even with an uber-sharp scalpel, to get the bayonet - such a tiny component - off the frame and cleaned up, without getting a slightly uneven top edge to the blade. I wish they'd been attached in the other orientation at the tip of the hilt...  :(

Note, of course, that if you use a fixed bayonet, you need to shave off the bayonet hilt from the sheathed bayonet moulded onto the figure...

Second figure - NCO with Thompson SMG.
I couldn't resist a bit of a conversion straight away, so I sliced the head off the body and turned it through a few degrees, so he's looking sideways and shouting, rather than looking forwards, as if urging his men on.

Another point to note. The helmets can appear to sit slightly high on the head - this is not altogether unrealistic because of the helmet liner, but if you want it to sit lower, or at a characteristically jaunty angle, you simply need to slice a sliver of the top of the skull. That's what I've done with this chap - I think the helmet sits a bit better that way.

Third figure. Thought I'd try a more casual pose, walking at trail.

Now this is interesting. It's interesting because there are 'at trail' rifle arms for both left and right. I decided to use the left arm carrying the rifle - only because it's slight counter-intuitive! But the interesting thing is there are no free / open handed right arms to pair it with. Well, there is one, but that's plainly intended to be used by the lying prone Bren gunner. So you have to slice the rifle off the right 'at trail' arm, to provide a swinging right arm. Is this a design flaw, or is this what's intended? Am I missing something? Thoughts, answers on a postcard please.

More to come. Painting in due course...  :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 03:46:02 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Desert War build thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »
WOW you have been busy.
I thought about getting these but I have no need to add to my pile and no game to play with them.
When are the Africa corps out, do you know?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »
June, I believe, for the Afrika Korps.
Hope you had a good trip back to Scotland  :)

former user

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »
THX for the out-of-the-box report and the nice builds

did the fabulous brothers possibly mention anything about miniatures of the french participants?
italians will be in metal if I understand correctly

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
Handy report. Will look forward to future installments.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 01:54:11 PM »
The 8th Army were among my absolute favvies in the Airffix 1/72 sets. A lot of dynamic poses and realistic poses which are firmly embedded in my mind as "This Is Wthe British Of The Desert Looked Like".

Onm a side note, these should work for early SE Asia, Singapore, China and the like right? I know the British wore khaki drill and shorts in that area but I am not sure about webbing.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 02:03:29 PM »
June, I believe, for the Afrika Korps.
Hope you had a good trip back to Scotland  :)
Yes dead easy, up the road for about 8:30

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »
More plastics? You're developing a bad habit here, you know...

I thought they looked small on the Perry's stand at Salute. Might make them tricky to use with other ranges.

The extra trail arm may well be intentional - a soldier bringing up an extra rifle, or one taken from a dead comrade?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
Very interesting review Captain, thank you for the heads up!

..... but I have no need to add to my pile and no game to play with them.

I thought that too, till I played "Operation Squad" Friday night, which was an inspiring experience.
Highly recommended if you like to play Squad sized skirmish.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »
That was quick. :o
And well timed, since I've just agreed to buy me a box myself, so the lads will possibly be ready when Chain of Command by TFL is released "this summer…

Thanks for sharing your efforts, and I'm looking forward to your next installments. Great inspiration to be gained from this thread, for sure. (Advice on choice of color would be highly appreciated once you start painting.)

Offline Facesofwar

• Student
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
Nice work,
Can't wait to get started on mine and the universal Bren carrier that was part of the deal :)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
Fantastic stuff, looking forward to your hands on it. Saw he "big" greens at the tactica. Nice, that the p-twins do figures for a forgotten 28mm-part of WW2. Only Artizan makes stuff, I think.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »
the fact you say they they are smaller puts me off slightly i must say  :?

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »
Oooh ..... Exciting times ahead.  I am off to order a box.  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
The 8th Army were among my absolute favvies in the Airffix 1/72 sets. A lot of dynamic poses and realistic poses which are firmly embedded in my mind as "This Is Wthe British Of The Desert Looked Like".

Onm a side note, these should work for early SE Asia, Singapore, China and the like right? I know the British wore khaki drill and shorts in that area but I am not sure about webbing.

Peder, The webbing would be fine for the early period of the Far East.

Cheers,

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)