Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:09:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689510
  • Total Topics: 118282
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 279695 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.110 - Rolls Royce armoured car and crew
« Reply #1680 on: March 18, 2020, 06:23:10 PM »
This thread is very much inspiring me to get back into my desert project.  Just love the table set.

Great!  :)
Thank you. Look forward to seeing next steps in your project.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #1682 on: March 19, 2020, 10:32:47 AM »
Love your Caunter schemes, I've never managed to summon up the courage to try one on my vehicles.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1683 on: March 19, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
You should give it a go  :)
It’s not that difficult to be honest. Just paint on the blocks of colour where you think they ought to go. If you think it looks wrong or the line is a bit wobbly, just keep adjusting the line with the opposing / adjacent colour until it looks right and you have a straight-ish line  :)
Rather like with painting medieval heraldry, it’s as much about adjusting the line of the other colour involved, as it is about being able to paint the device or line itself.
The great thing about painting - if it goes wrong, you just paint over it. Providing you do the initial colour blocking in a thin paint, you can keep on adjusting until you get it right.
Then you can firm it up with the paint in its correct thickness.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1684 on: March 24, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »
So I'm thinking... geez with all these wonderful vehicles and infantry Richard is hammering out, at some point he is going to need a bigger board.

Thoughts Captain?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1685 on: March 24, 2020, 10:25:37 PM »
I have more boards to do Ray, that is indeed true. That’s another expansion project in the never-ending, ever-growing queue  ;)

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #1686 on: March 24, 2020, 11:56:20 PM »
Just fantastic and a joy to look at.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1687 on: March 25, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »
Thanks  :)

I’m currently on 28mm ECW and feudals, and 15mm Hyboria, but I’ll be back to this in the not too distant future - I have a pile of Rubicon kits and a couple of resin and metal vehicles and gun kits from Perry to make up and paint. Then there are always more figures  ;)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1688 on: March 25, 2020, 10:21:20 AM »
Miniatures, table, pictures...all excellent.
Love it.
, ,

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1689 on: March 25, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
Love the Roller Richard but.........
I’m currently on 28mm ECW
  ::)

;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #1690 on: March 29, 2020, 12:26:43 PM »
Your boards are inspirational .They have a beautiful desert graceful feel . Really to be admired . Your level of detail , slightly rolling terrain and colour concept is amazing.
With your wonderful armour/figs one without another would be a travesty.  Sadly this concept is not at the forefront of the hobby.They deserve each other.
Outstanding.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:29:25 PM by Lysandros »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1691 on: January 02, 2022, 11:22:17 AM »
Oh dear, I've let this project lie dormant for almost two years having been somewhat diverted by a return to ECW, WOTR etc.
But I've used the lull between Christmas and New Year to get back to bashing some of the mountain of Rubicon kits that I received LAST Christmas (and the Christmas before that! lol)

Figured I'd build the lot, then I can paint them at my leisure and gradually add them to the collection. So to start with, I've made a load of additional German vehicles, and over the next few days, I'll do a similar number of British vehicles. All being well. Hopefully. Maybe.

I've made a Panzer III (Ausf J v.2 - short barrelled 50mm gun), another Kubelwagen (this time with the stay-puft desert tyres), a VW Beetle, a Krupp Protze artillery tractor, and a Schwimmwagen (yes they did use them in North Africa, favoured for their four wheel drive ability apparently). Just the SdKfz10 with rear mounted flak canon left to make for the DAK!

These are all Rubicon kits which are, as ever, amazing - although the Tamiya-like level of detail means that some super-tiny components are almost impossible to handle, even for a fairly dexterous person like me.
One of the reasons Rubicon kits are so highly detailed and rather fiddly, of course, is that they include so many extra components allowing you to build so many different versions. In the Panzer III kit (Ausf H - N, there's another whole Ausf A - G kit!) you can build EIGHT different variants, and get almost (sadly not quite, for the absence of a second hull) two complete tanks out of it.
In fact, I wonder why Rubicon don't just include the extra couple of pieces and sell it as a 'twin' kit allowing you to produce two tanks, albeit in different variants. Anyway...

Obviously the thing I enjoy most is making the vehicle crews - as you can see, I generally stick Perry heads, hats, helmets and arms on the Rubicon bodies provided, because Rubicon's human figures are still nowhere near as good as their brilliant vehicles and AFVs. Although to be fair, they're getting better all the time, and I'm going to be interested to see how their first full-scale multipart plastic figure kits (for Vietnam) look. I suspect they're going to be brilliant. The panzer commander used here in the turret of the Pz.III was from the 'Great Wargaming Survey' freebie set from a couple of years ago. And he is a very nice figure indeed.

For students of such things, I already have a Kubelwagen (Perry) and Pz.III (Blitzkrieg). These resin models are obviously not quite as finely done as the Rubicon kits, but they stand comparison pretty well.

The Rubicon Kubel is fractionally longer and sits slightly taller than the Perry model, but they fit together pretty well from tabletop distance. I think the angles on the Rubicon kit are more accurate - the Perry version is a little square looking by comparison.

The Blitzkrieg Pz.III is a slightly different variant (Ausf J v3 rather than the Ausf J v2 that I made from the Rubicon kit) But again, from a distance, they're really a very close match in size, although the detail on the resin model is a bit chunkier. The Rubicon kit is a whisker longer, but once painted, I don't think it'll notice.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:26:53 AM by Captain Blood »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.113 - RESURRECTION!!!!
« Reply #1692 on: January 02, 2022, 11:27:26 AM »
Looking forward to seeing them painted  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #1693 on: January 02, 2022, 11:42:27 AM »

This.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1694 on: January 02, 2022, 11:51:46 AM »
Me too
Nice to see you back at this Richard