Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:24:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: By Fire & Sword Kickstarter is up!!  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
By Fire & Sword Kickstarter is up!!
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:57:54 PM »
Barely got home from Salute so I'm still quite spent - BUT - as I talked with Konrad at the convention yesterday I learned that they would launch their crowdfunding for the new English version rulebook this very Sunday. The book looks fantastic, the binding is very very good and improved over the Polish version (and it also includes all the errata material). I will talk more about the English book in a day or two.

There was a lot of buzz about the game at Salute when I talked to different people at various places and traders, and the limited printed run the guys from Wargamer had brought with them were selling really well - as did the boxed sets of miniatures.

Here is the link to the Kickstarter, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1729776659/by-fire-and-sword-historical-tabletop-wargame

If I may suggest a pledge level for complete newcomers, it would be the "Winged hussar Bannerman" at 110$. This includes the 400 page thick rulebook and a skirmish set of miniatures to get you started with an army of your choice (the skirmish games are well fleshed out in the rules with scenarios and have been the standard sized tournament games in Poland during the past year.

The Winged Hussar lieutenant level at 170$ is also a great deal as it includes two skirmish sets so you can get started with a friend.

You can read my review of the rules (Polish version released last year) in these posts:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2011/12/with-fire-and-sword-rules-review-part-1.html

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2011/12/by-fire-and-sword-rules-review-part-2.html

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2011/12/by-fire-and-sword-rules-review-part-3.html

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: By Fire & Sword Kickstarter is up!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:54:12 PM »
Definitely not my theater of combat but sounds like it might be a solid set of rules.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:37:25 AM »
Nice looking book.  Too bad its 15mm though...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:53:41 AM »
Nice looking book.  Too bad its 15mm though...

Nothing prevents you from playing with larger or smaller scale, but you will have to adjust ranges and bases accordingly  :)

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »
I am sooooo tempted to throw a healthy wad of cash at this one. Unfortunately the additional hefty postage costs to the UK are a bit of a killer and I'm sure those delightful chaps at HM Revenue & Customs would want my house & probably a kidney or two to cover their stupid, ridiculous, sky-high import duty... tax... charges... or whatever they call it these days. I prefer to call it outright theft, myself  ::)

I wish all the guys involved every success with this & hope somebody here in the UK will see sense and be stocking it when it's released.
If only I could have made it to Salute this year...  :'(
...and what fresh new hell is this?

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »
Well North Star stock the figures, so I guess the book will be available from there too once it's released fully. Having picked up a copy at Salute I can tell you the book is well worth it, even with the postage cost! The figures look like they will paint up very nicely too, though I have told myself to finish all the stuff I have in progress before starting on those (Yeah, right!  :D)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 12:28:59 PM »
Nothing prevents you from playing with larger or smaller scale, but you will have to adjust ranges and bases accordingly  :)

TBH I am more interested in the miniatures than the rules, so I would have considered backing if it came with 28mm miniatures.  Plus, there seems to be no shortage of rulesets these days, so its just easier to pick a ruleset I do not have to modify to play.

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »
I'm sure those delightful chaps at HM Revenue & Customs would want my house & probably a kidney or two to cover their stupid, ridiculous, sky-high import duty... tax... charges... or whatever they call it these days. I prefer to call it outright theft, myself  ::)
I'm not quite sure, but as both countries are in the EU, there should be no import tax or whatnot.
At least I don't have to pay any when ordering stuff from the UK. :P

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
I'm not quite sure, but as both countries are in the EU, there should be no import tax or whatnot.
At least I don't have to pay any when ordering stuff from the UK. :P

Curses! That's just blown my last and rather feeble excuse right out of the water  lol
Hope my wife's in a sympathetic & understanding mood when I get my wallet out for this, but I somehow doubt it  :D

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »
This is a very tempting rule set indeed...but despite my best efforts I cannot generate any interest in historical gaming in my area....sigh.

I might pick up the rule book just for the eye candy...

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »
Some new stretch goals have been added, first out is the Crimean Tartars set which have long been on the release schedule but may now see a fast track to completion. It will also include the famous Tartar leader Tugay Bay as a KS exclusive mini.

Quite funny coincidence as I was asked about this nation and its units 3 times today. And as I wrote on the KS - it's a bonus that they can be used with Cossack , Russian and Ottoman armies and Cossack and Ottoman regiments can be part of a Crimean division. So it’s a very versatile force to have in one's collection.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1729776659/by-fire-and-sword-historical-tabletop-wargame

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 08:48:52 AM »
Postage be damned. I'm in.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 12:06:05 PM »
Some pictures of the Wargamer.pl stand and staff at Salute  :) :

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »
Anatoli, how much table space is needed for the game? I'm trying to gauge how much room it will take if scaled up to 28mm.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
Skirmish games (total amont of miniatures per side is roughly equal to 1 maxed out regiment per player) are played on 4x4' tables. Regular games on 6x4, but all the deployment zones, objectives etc are written in such a way that they scale easily up or down depending on your playing area.

Playing a division sized game with 3-5 regiments per side + divisional support units and artillery in 28mm may get crowded on a 6x4 table, especially since games can be played along the short or longe edge of the table.