Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697748
  • Total Topics: 118856
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Siciliy 1943 (WIP) UD 28/3 adding a Morris CS8 truck in German service  (Read 39172 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Siciliy 1943: UD 18/5 German infantry started
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
The HG wore the para smock too, right? That'd be a good alternate use for the forthcoming minis.  8)

I've photos of the HG in tropical uniform on Sicily from my reference library. Perhaps a SS smock, but hard to tell.

I intend to have some in their Luft blue jackets, helmets, caps etc. Just a little artistic licence so to speak as I can use them for Italy.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »
Regarding the para smocks, that'd be my misunderstanding (ok, ignorance) then!  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »
Regarding the para smocks, that'd be my misunderstanding (ok, ignorance) then!  :D

It's alright. I'm trying to scan as much of the web I can for any glimpses of uniforms for the HG in the campaign.

All the best,

Helen

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
Excellent post, this is the perfect post for me, interesting subject, great conversion work, really inspirational, I now have an urge to copy this in 20mm, so did you ever paint the Brit glider troops? Looking forward to seeing them painted up.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
Thanks  :)

The painting of the  Brit glider troops is started but stalled. I need to make some Brit paras as well but I have some WW1 minis to go under the brush first  ;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »
So Helen you have inspired me  8)

(Which is the polite way of saying that's such a bloody good idea that I'm going to kind of copy it ..... I hope you don't mind  :))

I'd already modded the Perry plastics to turn the 'jodhpurs' and high-laced boots into the baggy, bloused at the ankle trousers, with low boots and gaiters.  Looking at illustrations of the HG in tan trousers, they all seem to have the 'para' patch pocket on the front right (as viewed) thigh.  If in blue or tan tunics and steel helmets, this extra pocket to the trousers seems to be the only other alteration required... What do you think?

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »
So Helen you have inspired me  8)

(Which is the polite way of saying that's such a bloody good idea that I'm going to kind of copy it ..... I hope you don't mind  :))

I'd already modded the Perry plastics to turn the 'jodhpurs' and high-laced boots into the baggy, bloused at the ankle trousers, with low boots and gaiters.  Looking at illustrations of the HG in tan trousers, they all seem to have the 'para' patch pocket on the front right (as viewed) thigh.  If in blue or tan tunics and steel helmets, this extra pocket to the trousers seems to be the only other alteration required... What do you think?

Thanks, that could be so, however, I believe their tropical uniform was an identical cut to their European uniform. I'll check it out again. What you may see is the mix of FJ and HG on Sicily and in the same photo.

By the way Michael on the BoltAction Pod cast has indicated Brits Paras maybe on the radar sometime in the future alongside the Folgore.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »
Thanks and interesting re Brit paras. IIRC they fought as conventional infantry in southern Italy so do have multiple uses.

Reading a bit more about Luftwaffe uniforms, I *think* that the European and Tropical tunics were stylistically similar (EDIT: except that the latter did not have a central pleat to the lower pockets) but that the trousers differed: what I mistakenly referred to as para trousers above, actually being the Luftwaffe tropical trouser, a baggy fit, with ankle tabs and a thigh map pocket.

For what it's worth there's also this on TMP:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=170539

In Tunisia and Sicily the troops of the HG div. wore the standard Luftwaffe tropical issue uniforms and also a smattering of W-SS camo smocks, around 10% of the HG troops were issued with them. They did not wear items of FJ uniform or helmets being closer to looking like the any of the Luftwaffe field divisions – the honorific title "FJ" wasn't bestowed on the Div until Jan 1944 anyway, and was only ever an honorific title and not a description of the formation.

And this:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=307767

Only a few HG troops wore the SS Camo smocks. They did not have them as a general issue as some sources would have you believe. As a whole about 10% of the unit received the SS Camo smocks and those were pretty much only available to the divisional troops. Everyone else is going to have some mixture of the tropical and blue grey Luftwaffe uniforms.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:27:23 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2015, 12:30:15 PM »
Thank you for this. I'm not to phased about accuracy, but representation. Should be a real buzz with some blue thrown in with the tropics colour.

All the best,

Helen

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Siciliy 1943: UD 23/5 German vehicle passengers (wip)
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Looking good with the additions. If you have not tried dry testing the cab roof for the blitz I think you will find the pillars are a little short. I had to build up the pillars in order to make the ruddy thing look right.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »
Thanks Helen  :)

The pillars were a bit of a problem as dropped the front canopy and they snapped off. Ooops ! :D. I don't know if they were a tad short before but having been repaired they do seem to fit now - assembly will, of course, reveal if that's correct.

Have you based your vehicles? The kubelwagon seems especially diminutive alongside a based mini so I think I shall do so.

I've not based the kubel, but did on the Fiat 502 with an Italian standing next to it. If you are on FB you would see my work. I won't be posting here on LAF.

Sorry to read about the canopy. I've four Opels from Perry and they all seem short. The first one I worked on I sawed the back tarp in two places to have a short version at the back. Green stuff and filing made the job look okay. Then I drilled out the bench seats to where the opening of the tarp is. Placed in some wood and mounted an AGN flak gun from their Sdkfz 10/4 pack. Used Perry miniatures for the crew. I'm in the process of painting it. Too busy on the farm at the moment, but having a break over winter to work on the collection covering Tunisia, Sicily and Italy.

I have had a rethink and will initially do some Germans covering the 10th Panzer Division in Tunisia. They will then double up as Panzer Grenadiers on Sicily or 15th Pz Div in Italy. The HG was attached to the 10th in Tunisia. I'll wait to see what Michael Perry does in the future for the HG, but will look at the FJ in the interim. Happy either way.

Cheers, H
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:28:50 PM by Helen »

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2015, 12:28:12 AM »
Great stuff.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Siciliy 1943: UD 28/5 Perry Kettenkrad tricked out (wip)
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »
Nice work on the mod and using the extra webbing equipment.

By the way, my Kettenkrad is ready for undercoating with the IF8 trailer (valiant miniatures).

I noticed after our discussion that the Perry flak crew have the left trouser pocket so I'm going for a HG Opel flak truck. Truck is now finished an its now onto the flak followed by crew.

Thanks for sharing your update.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2015, 10:53:46 PM »
That all sounds really good Helen... I didn't realise a trailer could be had. And great idea on the flak crew.

I, however, an an idiot!  :o

As I assembled the Kettenkrad I googled images to check the assembly. That's the way to do it.  Sort of. As I seem to have rotated the vehicle during assembly as the tracks are reversed!   Aaaargh!! 

Fortunately, and thanks to a great spot by papawhisky, it's not to late to sort it.

And there folks, is one great reason to post wip shots on LAF.  :D

Yikes, I should have seen that myself. :o

The trailer from Valiant miniatures is perfect scale for the Perry Ket. Even has the correct towbar. Just need to snip the hook on the Ket to fit the towbar in place. You get two in the box with other bits which you may find very handy for what you are doing. I also have the 105 early field howitzer which is once again perfect with the Perry miniatures.

Cheers, H

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2015, 12:48:21 AM »
Is that the Valiant Minis plastic trailer that is supposedly 1/72?
Cheers,
Poiter50