Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:25:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Armoured Train WIP  (Read 16647 times)

former user

Re: Armoured Train WIP
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
I don't know where I could find something with that inverted taper.  Open to suggestions. 

go find Yourself a broken plastic ballpen man  ;)

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »
Too small.   Need a fatter pen.

Train with more armour.  I've also place card on thr roof - decided to armour it after all.

Painted gun carriage

Gun Turrets and 2p coins (tested for magnetism) as there is a rare earth magnet stuck to the underside of the carriage roof - I'm planning to buy a Wirbelwind AA turret and do something similar - and a Panzer IV turret as well for those WW2 anti partizan games

However, was the rear of the drivers cab armoured or left open?  I've not found any decent photos of the cab.

former user

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46:34 AM »
the loco should be connected to the coal tender.....

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »
Am loving the pencil sharpener 75mm turret! I once made a passable MG turret out of some plastic rod and a domed plastic screw cover...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
That will be an open cab then  ;D

I did originally have the dome part of the sharpner but two reason it failed - looked more steampunk than 20th century - it also made the cupola option impossible.  Cupola btw is a plastic plug from a home brew kit. 

The 2nd reason was that no matter how much I filed or sanded it down I could not get rid of the manufactors mark "KUM" Made in Germany. 

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 05:59:18 PM »
Well that's almost finished.  Just a suitable funnel - which I might be able to make out of used up fireworks I've just realised.  Sticking with the nut for the base of the funnel too.  This has been a bit of a slog with all the bits but I'm looking forward to starting the tender on Monday.  The front buffers are pins from a cork board.  I know there should be armour at the sides of the buffers but I'm not too sure about how to attach them without them being a bit fragile - and I'm pretty clumsy at times so they are being ignored.  I've ordered a Wirbelwind turret from CompanyB for those WW2 anti partisan games - I'll attach it via a 2p and the magnet same as the 75mm turrets.  Anyone got a spare Panzer 3 or 4 turret in 1/56 or 1/48 they'd like to sell?  Otherwise it might have to be a T34 turret that's been captured and plonked on.  Paint is Tamiya Russian Green.  I'm not doing a camo scheme due to cost/lazyness/lack of ability.

It's been a steep learning curve but great fun.  The 2nd train will be converted into a tank engine, I'm planning on making the 2nd tender a tank transport/sandbag pillbox multiuse thing.  Another gun turret (double height) and an infantry/cavalry coach with hopefully sliding doors.

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 02:30:32 AM »
thats come up very nicely indeed,  you'd have to be very happy with it

Compand B had a few things for sale of which I brought a few. heres the link (there's a Panzer 4 turret and hull for $4)

http://035f399.netsolhost.com/sale.html
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
Thanks Slayer for the link, I have ordered some stuff from CB now from that link but another forum member has kindly offered me their Solido turret so I suspect I'll be using that as it saves me $4.

More pics.  First kit finished basic painting - I still need to colour coal/wood and highlight/varnish.  Actually varnish is an issue.  I will not use AP on large flat surfaces as I find that is asking for trouble - anyone any suggestions what to use as a gloss protective coating ?

Undercoated tracks.

Link of said tracks

Train and bunker.  I have since attached a cut down firework casing as the chimney.

Longer shot of entire train (so far...)

Rear View

Currently working on the second gun carriage.  It will be tall enough to shoot along the length of the train.

Suggestions welcomed.  I was going to hand paint the tracks but life is too short.  Brown spray paint and and blob of boltgun along the top of the track before AP and matt varnish will be more than enough.  I'm still really enjoying this build. 

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
This coming together nicely  8)

The paint work needs a bit more, such as weathering and maybe a drybrush to pick out the details a bit more  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
coming along very nicely

former user

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
if I may give a bit of advice for painting the tracks :
brown with yellowish drybrush for the wood is a good idea to start with.
Get a flat larger brush to cover the height of the rail, mix a rust colour or better two shades to alternate and then paint the sides rusty. It goes quick and You don't need to be precise since rails rust all the time (meaning that the rust spills over). If You want to add a bit more detail, paint the wood and the rail first, then drybrush and then give it a reddish wash along the bolts. get some rust pigment and rust the wood along curves and at stations - this is where the brakes are used and the metal powder dusts the rails and rusts very quickly. Apart from unused tracks, rails are always polished on top where the wheels run, so better use silver to finish them.
You will find that it doesn't take that much time and is worth it.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:24:04 PM by bedwyr »

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 04:16:55 PM »
Thanks former user,

I tried a couple of test straights adapting your methods to my lazyness.  I stippled a 1"/25mm brush into tan yellow vallejo and stippled that onto a piece of kitchen roll then zipped up and down the 1' track.  A half dozen strokes and presto!  Then I got lazy and just painted the sizes flat earth and the tops boltgun.

It doesn't show up too well in the iphone pic here but it's a decent contrast and I have since drybrushed all the sleepers - it took less than ten minutes.  Tomorrow I shall finish the rails and AP the lot - which will most likely be the time consuming bit.  Soft tone I think as I have lots of it.

I love this forum...

former user

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 04:21:02 PM »
I'd try a bit flatter/darker brown on the sleepers, to tell them a part from the rust

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 05:28:08 PM »
It's better IRL.  I shall attempt better pics with a real camera tomorrow.  I had a choice of two non metallic browns from Halfords this morning and went with the darkest. Rover Maple.

former user

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »
You are doing fine
I wish my stuff had looked so well at first attempt
mixing the right rust is very difficult...