Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:17:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: succesfully removing figures from bases?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Incomp

• Bookworm
succesfully removing figures from bases?
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
I've got these fully based units of Perry Plastics and I want to change their frontage from 4 to a base to 6 a base.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to safely sepparate (plastic) miniatures from their bases.
Anybody got a good way or idea on removing miniatures from their bases?

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
Re: succesfully removing figures from bases?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »
I've got these fully based units of Perry Plastics and I want to change their frontage from 4 to a base to 6 a base.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to safely sepparate (plastic) miniatures from their bases.
Anybody got a good way or idea on removing miniatures from their bases?

I think the success will depend on what glue was used and what material the bases are made from.

It you glued plastic tot plastic (or anohher material) with superglue, I would suggest to try to remove the figures from their bases by praying with a sharp blade at the seams and try to slip a blade between base and figure (be very careful so you don't get cut.

For white glue (PVA/PVAC) or hot glue I would also try it this way.

It you used the true plastic glue, you might find it hard to seperate. Normally the plastic dissolves a bit on the joining surfaces and they 'melt' into each other.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

former user

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:39:05 AM »
if the unit base is thin, try to bend it without touching the miniatures. The badly glued ones will separate. Neither plastic glue nor superglue are elastic

Offline Klingsor

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »
You could trim the existing base back to a minimum and just glue it down on the new base. It would need some putty work to fair it in but it avoids wrecking the figure. I have done this with a couple of GW figures that had little things like feed moulded integrally to a base.

Attaching plastic figures to a plastic base so easily is one of the advantages of plastic miniatures but removing them is a problem.

You might try flooding the area around the feet with solvent cement and leaving them to soften for a few minutes but I would not have high hopes for this working.