Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:04:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wild West building comparision  (Read 2448 times)

Offline ozwarrior

• Student
Wild West building comparision
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:18:18 AM »
Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me as to how well the 4Ground "Dead Man's Hand" and the Battle Flag "Blackwater Gulch" buildings compare next to each other?

Mark

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
Re: Wild West building comparision
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:25:02 AM »
Although I haven't built the 4Ground ones yet there are some basic differences. The obvious is that the Dead Man Hand's buildings are pre-painted so you can pretty much build and go. The other difference is in the construction. The DMH buildings are essentially double walled this provides a sturdier building for game play and provides a detailed interior. The Battle Flag buildings are built from a thinner stock of MDF but several of the buildings build up details in layers which provides a nice effect on the ornate portions of the building. Currently the Battle Flag buildings have little or new interior details the exception being the sheriff's office which does include a cell block.

On a personal level I would prefer the DMH building to come unpainted but that's a personal preference. I really like the detail on the Battle Flag buildings but they should play nicely together on the table.  I have a comparison of the various other brands of laser cut buildings on my blog at: http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2013/01/28mm-old-west-laser-cut-buildings.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:41:00 PM by Heisler »
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:27:06 AM »
Unfortunately I have pics of almost every other company except Battle Flag.  I haven't found a company which doesn't work alongside the others though.  The DMH buildings would likely take you a lot longer to build (they're great..but that comes at the cost of MANY pieces and a lot of building).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline ozwarrior

• Student
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for both your replies.

Heisler, I checked your site out and was impressed with your comparisons!

Elbows, a few photos, if possible would be appreciated.

I think from what you both have said, it would be possible to mix and match all these sets.

Thanks again

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »
Oz, hop into the "Re-birth of Drake's Branch" and you'll see some photos on the second page I believe.  I'll also snap some more comparison shots for you with what I have laying around.

Offline ozwarrior

• Student
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:30:38 PM »
Elbow,

Excuse my ignorance but what is "Re-birth of Drakes Branch"?

Oz

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 11:38:53 PM »
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=52728.0

^Just a thread I have for the rebuild of my Old West town.

Offline ozwarrior

• Student
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:56:44 PM »
Thanks Elbow, will check it out.

OZ

Offline Fusilier55

• Schoolboy
    • Williamsburg Legati
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »
Although I haven't built the 4Ground ones yet there are some basic differences. The obvious is that the Dead Man Hand's buildings are pre-painted so you can pretty much build and go. The other difference is in the construction. The DMH buildings are essentially double walled this provides a sturdier building for game play and provides a detailed interior. The Battle Flag buildings are built from a thinner stock of MDF but several of the buildings build up details in layers which provides a nice effect on the ornate portions of the building. Currently the Battle Flag buildings have little or new interior details the exception being the sheriff's office which does include a cell block.

I enjoyed your review of the different buildings out there.  I use mostly Gamecraft partly due to the great prices partly due to a sense of loyalty.  By club suggested he start making them so I felt I should follow through and order from him.  As it turns out however he didn't really need my loyalty as they are selling very well!  Its great that there are so many excellent choices for building nowadays when just a few years ago there were very few.

Cheers,
Ron

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »
My Battle Flag Sheriff's Office (with jail) and gallows arrived as did my Sarissa railway Station. I now have Sarissa, Battle Flag, Aetherworks and scratchbuilt (by another LAFer - I believe from the old plans in WI) and they are all suitable for the same town without any major discrepancies. I have not assembled the latest purchases but they will be attempted next week and should be sufficient for my town. I plan to magnetize some building signs so I can change their purpose depending on whether it is US Wild West or Aussie Gold Rush.

Oh, also forgot to mention the PMC Adobe buildings which suit Middle East or down Mexico way.
Cheers,
Poiter50