Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:08:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British uniform differences early/late war?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
British uniform differences early/late war?
« on: June 28, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »
Ladies and gents,

How much difference was there in the British uniform between '39 and '44? Looking at most 28mm ranges it looks like I could possibly ( ::)) get away with just sculpting some gas mask cases on late war figures and away I go.

I'm looking to expand some BEF miniatures early war by adding some poses from Artizans British range. Obviously I'll avoid stens and Piats...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:13:38 PM by Ray Earle »
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

former user

Re: British uniform differences early/late war?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »
good question!
I'd be curious to know that too

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 04:29:47 PM »
I think the most obvious would be the helmet having a cover later in the war.... That and Stens instead of Thomsons, PIATS in place of the ATR.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
What you need are some proper BEF figures - that's what you need  :D

Gas capes. Thompson still was being used later, so that's not an issue. The helmet was more than a cover change, the "turtle" style looks much different than the earlier classic helmet.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/3380-British-Helmets-and-Other-Equipment-in-World-War-II

Found this and it's quite helpful!

Don't give up on the BEF minis - I'm sure someone has them   ;)
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »
The Artizan figures don't appear to be wearing the 'turtle' helmet. And I had wondered that seeing as they are by the same sculptor it might be possible with a bit of putty work to add a few different poses to the BEF stuff.

I think I need to pick a couple up and see how similar they are.

The newer figures do appear to only have one pocket on the BD. Is this something that also changed?

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 04:58:01 AM »
If you are looking for early war, you could try Crusader, they do some early war figures.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 05:34:32 AM »
If you are looking for early war, you could try Crusader, they do some early war figures.

Beat me to it! They do look good, and similar in style to the earlier Warlord ones. Not sure about size, as I haven't seen any in the flesh or lead, or however the kids say it these days.

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »
BD was simplified during the course of the war with the fly concealing the buttons and pocket pleats being deleted. Another very important detail is that the rifle changed, the No 4 in use at the end of the war looked very different to the SMLE Mk III used by the BEF. The bayonets for each type of rifle differed too. The Artizan figs look to me to be wearing early style BD with a mix of rifle types (or not particularly distinct ones anyway) I would say you could get away with using them for BEF
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:37:28 PM by NTM »

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
there were some changes to the webbing and kit too. But the gas mask bag on the front and no camo cover on the Tommy hat are the biggest things. Just make sure avoid figures with the MkIII 'turtle' helmet, those are definitely '44 and later.

former user

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »
does anyone happen to have some comparison pics? I am afraid I am lacking imagination.

I mean uniform and webbing, not helmet and rifle, these are obvious

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
Check the photos in the link Grant posted above.

Personally, I am not too obsessed. I think that if you avoid the ones with turtle helmets and add a gas mask in ready position then your all right be me. This is 28mm remember- who cares if the fly has buttons?

Avoid PIAT and Sten guns though.

former user

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »
I checked exactly these but wasn't able to notice much difference, as the pictures are mostly about the helmets

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »
The Crusader ones are a little short and dumpy for my liking, though nothing wrong with the figures at all. The Warlord ones are fine too, it's just I already have some BEF miniatures British and really want to keep figures from the same sculptor. Just being awkward really.

I reckon I can get away with the Artizan Brits by adding a respirator bag a gas cape and clipping the barrel off the rifle. Might need to add the odd pocket, but nothing major. I'll hopefully add some comparison shots with the sculpted additions when they show up.

Couple of head swaps and I'm good to go. Hopefully.  ;)

Cheers for the input gents.

Offline Londoncopper

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 11:25:33 PM »
Westwind do some BEF types, I have a couple of spares I should have put in your parcel!