Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:09:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial Chinese VSF element help...  (Read 1555 times)

Offline drownte

• Bookworm
Imperial Chinese VSF element help...
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
I have always loved the late period Imperial Chinese history, from the end of the Taiping Rebellion to the 1st Sino-Japanese War. I have started a 15mm army to represent these forces (I'll post some photos later). While working on  this project I managed to reignite my love for VSF and suddenly had an epiphany of Li Hongzhang's Anhuai Army on Mars. So with that in mind I wanted to run their story by you fine gamers and ask some VSF related questions.

AS to how the Chinese Army got to Mars there is a rather simple answer.A German aetherconveyor. When Li Hongzhang purchased two 2nd class German Battleships, in addition to coastal artillery,field artillery, small arms, and other VSF goodies, he also bought a Zeppelin Ether Conveyor. This would be Self Strengthening's attempt to keep up with the Foreign Devils in space. Sensing the increased revenue he could gain by establishing a Chinese colony on Mars under his own supervision which would help his chronically underfunded Anhui Army in it's attempt to compete with the rising Japanese menace. With tacit approval from certain senior officials, some say gratuitously bribed, Li Hongzhang planned to use his German built ether conveyor, the Bi Sheng,  to move a quarter of the Anhuai Army's Lien Chun and Yung Ying forces to Mars in an attempt to capture a canal city and establish a base camp for Chinese expansion.
          Li,  in a surprise twist, was given the support of various other provincial armies and the support of the Manchu cavalry and generalship to run his expedition. The sudden change of heart came about for ulterior reasons in that the ruling Manchu dynasty didn't want the already extremely powerful Li Hongzhang to gain too much more power. As it was the Dowager Empress had only approved the expedition because it was seen as a safety valve for China's rampant overpopulation and as a way to prove the Dynasty still had Heaven's Mandate. With this rather ramshackle force of Yung Ying, Lien Chun, Mongol cavalry, modern artillery, and China's own  Krupp mobile defense cannons, the expedition left the recently constructed Chihli Province aetherconveyor landing field.

So that's the story for now, I'll add some more about the army's weapons (Space 1889's entry on China is so ridiculously wrong it was why  I wanted to do this project), training level, and tech here in a couple hours. But to tide you over the Krupp mobile defense guns are what i'm going to have to scratch build and I was wondering if you all had any recommendations for Krupp coastal defense guns in 15mm. Here's a pic of what I'm kind of going for: (Pic is from the movie Tai Chi Hero btw) Actually how do you post photos here......

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
Re: Imperial Chinese VSF element help...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
Great story line and I love the cannon. I think Grendal use to make something similar to that but it wasn't on wheels. Good Luck! Found it http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?min_page=product_info&cPath=221_222_45&products_id=279 It would take some modifications of course
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:23:32 PM by VSF Gamer »

Offline drownte

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »
I was actually thinking of using the Wargames Foundry 21cm Prussian siege mortar barrel and custom jobing a VSF style carriage. Only problem is I don't know how big the miniature itself is, not that thats a huge deal I just would like to see a pic that isn't the website one. I'll have the rest of the update tonight.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »
I would have suggested the HLBS pieces but they would be absolutely HUGE next to 15mm
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline drownte

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 04:48:11 AM »
Well I'm actually looking for a pretty big gun, so 28mm may be the scale I go with for the cannon barrel.