Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682840 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #12000 on: December 04, 2022, 12:19:53 PM »
Paint it black and white. True to the source material.

Nice idea, followed by Norman horses with green & yellow legs,
as per the Bayeux tapestry.  lol lol lol

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12001 on: December 10, 2022, 01:15:07 AM »
Nice idea, followed by Norman horses with green & yellow legs,
as per the Bayeux tapestry.  lol lol lol

Bayeux tapestry Bretonnians?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12002 on: December 10, 2022, 04:07:13 PM »
Bayeux tapestry Bretonnians?

I mean... I've heard of worse themes for a WHFB army!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12003 on: December 10, 2022, 09:49:35 PM »
I mean... I've heard of worse themes for a WHFB army!

Oh do tell. :)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12004 on: December 11, 2022, 06:32:26 PM »
Well there's always the dreaded Primermarines.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12005 on: December 11, 2022, 06:34:21 PM »
Well there's always the dreaded Primermarines.  lol
lol lol lol

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12006 on: December 11, 2022, 07:34:51 PM »
I gave this some thought before posting a reply... The thing is, regardless of what I may think of the theme, doing a whole army like that is a lot of work either way, and is always a passion project. The last thing I'd want to do is post something that might seem unkind about someone's army that they clearly care very much about - that's just unfair and rude.

However, I would call out the many 40k armies that are, erm, let's say very poorly-judged and WW2 themed, with insignia and everything.  :?

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12007 on: December 12, 2022, 11:40:23 AM »

I don't know about WHFB armys but this (or something very similar) went around as a cursed army back when I was still playing 40k, during 5th or 6th edition.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12008 on: December 12, 2022, 07:06:27 PM »
See, not only is that brilliant (it really is - there's a significant amount of effort, skill, and creativity put in that), it always annoys exactly the right sort of people.  lol

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #12009 on: December 12, 2022, 07:22:47 PM »
Yup, I think that's hilarious. The commitment of hours in it just makes it funnier when you imagine the oh so serious tournament gaming rules lawyer faced with it. lol

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #12010 on: December 12, 2022, 07:26:43 PM »
See, not only is that brilliant (it really is - there's a significant amount of effort, skill, and creativity put in that), it always annoys exactly the right sort of people.  lol
exactly  :D

I have to say as well, with the butterflies among the scarabs? You could do a creepy as heck butterfly themed necron army.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12011 on: December 13, 2022, 01:15:14 AM »
See, not only is that brilliant [...], it always annoys exactly the right sort of people.  lol

Hmm, I dunno, does it? If you did this with historical games, would everyone still think the same, or would they feel it's tedious and get quickly bored of indulging you?  :?

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #12012 on: December 13, 2022, 02:07:15 AM »
Which indulgence is there to make with 40k? Either it's someone from your friendly play group and you play with then of you want to or not, or its a tournament army in which case it's miles ahead of the bare bones painted or bate 3d printed figures that are the mark of those events in so many places. This is striking and refreshing. If indulging means playing against it I'd indulge it happily.
As for a historical wargame, i believe we have multiple instances of quite vivid pink uniforms in multiple eras?
But this isn't historical, it's 50k with its ork rockers with squig wig for glamrock hair, and rattling snipers who steal carrots. 40k with a necron overlord who in official lore has a collection of imperial guard regiments and sends thank you letters when commanders send armies his way that help fill gaps in his collection. I'm not sure how an army that already has an insect theme including butterflies is then something that goes too far?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12013 on: December 13, 2022, 06:44:38 AM »
Eh, I mean I would pass on playing that - but I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't.

I'm not personally a fan of "for the lolz" kind of gaming, even in a science fiction or fantasy setting.  One of the main draws to tabletop wargaming is the aesthetic, and that would ruin the game for me.  That's the beauty of wargaming though - I'm not required to play against a "silly" painted army, and vice versa.  There are opponents for everyone.

I have a local buddy who more or less can't take anything seriously, from 40K, to D&D to other tabletop games (Battletech, Battlegroup, etc.).  We still hang out, but we rarely game together because our tastes don't align, and that's fine.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #12014 on: December 13, 2022, 07:53:51 AM »
Or what if the Necron lord can only see in infra-red wavelengths - and uses lead based paint for rust resistance.

and doesn't even know it looks pink in different light? - bulk paint purchase from the Slaanesh paint company and so on as he liked the shade of grey?

Either way, 40K is meant as a parody, a joke about the worst of times, and eternal war and suffering and so on?

As others have said, different tastes, different imaginations etc etc.

To be fair, yeah looks at first a bit garish, yes, but after that and a crooked smile at the effort put in, yeah well done.

There was  a joke about my fathers trawlerman days ( one of many), when he and his partner where repainting their small trawler, in lead undercoat, and top coat of British navy grey (military surplus - Free - well sort of - it got trawled up so they used it - good paint so they weren't going to waste it)

They had to go out and earn some money of course, days in harbour don't earn, but had only finished the top coat on one side - money is what it is - got to have some

Trawlermen are no doubt still suspicious of what and where each of them are now just as much as in the 80's.. in case the other boat is catching something.. 

anyway they went out and did a days fishing and sailed back early - radio going nuts, as the other skippers tried to find out where they were and what they had found, and were they alright..

and who else was about as some new pink trawler had been seen going into harbour - but their battleship grey boat had been seen going out..

But yeah, they top coated the other side soon enough.