Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:31:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1676734 times)

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 12:56:37 AM »
Second sign of the Apocalypse:  I am going to say something nice about GW.
There is quite a lot of good in GW. I have played fantasy since the 5th edition and have several armies
I like most of the miniatures but there are a lot that do not appeal to me. The big gaudy looking ones like the Warsphinx, I just don't buy them. I also hate that GW stopped making lead miniatures and introduced finecast as a substitute. Of course the prices drive me crazy but it seems that nothing is cheap anymore and it's not only GW.
  For the most part I do like the fantasy rules. Loved the 7th but not so much the 8th edition as I feel GW designed the 8th with sales in mind instead of making the game better. Hordes = more money etc.
  However it still is a fun game to play and has a lot to offer as far as strategy and tactics. There are so many choices to make designing your army any during the game.
 For me the biggest plus is if I feel like playing a game I can go into my GW store and pick up a game with someone. I can't do that with other games I am interested in as easily.
  I also like LoTR but haven't played it much. Never played 40K so I can't say anything about that.

No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:06 AM »
Second sign of the Apocalypse:  I am going to say something nice about GW.

{waiting for people to stand back up and/or pick up their jaws}

Despite all my criticisms, and I think them valid - else why speak them, many fine war gamers have been introduced into the miniatures/war games hobby (although fed propaganda about it being the GW Hobby) so let it be on the record that they have at least one redeeming trait.

Gracias,

Glenn

But what is that trait? You post doesn't actually say!  ;D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 01:27:52 AM »

It must be the machine washable gaming mats, no doubt about that. ;)

But to be serious again: I really like my machine washable gaming mat. It's a great product and even comes without skulls.

Far less active than I used to...

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 06:03:54 AM »
It is a shame they discontinued it then, probably to encourage sales of their plastic skull-ladened battle ground.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 06:20:03 AM »
Thankyou Alex and Chris :)

I'm actually looking forward to a new Inquisition game :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 11:19:16 AM »
I'm actually looking forward to a new Inquisition game :)

Big time.

If the rules suck I wont use them, if they are good then I will play it, but if the rumoured release is real then it definitely means a big box of cool plastic 40k stuff that isnt Space Marines, hooray!  GWs best products are probably their starter sets.  They even provide value for money.

I actually hope that there isnt further support for the (rumoured) game after its (rumoured) release.  I have plenty of other toy soldier bits and pieces to buy and paint without trying to keep up with a new one.  A box set of cool stuff and a fun rule set (it could happen) would be more than enough to make me happy.

I just wish some disgruntled employee/marketing spin manager would leak some actual info.

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to that very interesting Vector Magazine articel "Freedom in an owned world"? It is linked from the GW wikipedia page but seems to have disappeared.

workerBee

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »

Um, yes I did.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »
Ah... No more tiresome blitherings about GW polluting the pure waters of Lead Adventure... Bliss  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
Ah... No more tiresome blitherings about GW polluting the pure waters of Lead Adventure... Bliss  :)

Lol :D ;D

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
Big time.

If the rules suck I wont use them, if they are good then I will play it, but if the rumoured release is real then it definitely means a big box of cool plastic 40k stuff that isnt Space Marines, hooray!  GWs best products are probably their starter sets.  They even provide value for money.

I actually hope that there isnt further support for the (rumoured) game after its (rumoured) release.  I have plenty of other toy soldier bits and pieces to buy and paint without trying to keep up with a new one.  A box set of cool stuff and a fun rule set (it could happen) would be more than enough to make me happy.

I just wish some disgruntled employee/marketing spin manager would leak some actual info.

You could try the wd confrontation rules? Been flicking through the wd 100's and stumbled across them. Nice and weighty and who doesn't like D100 equipment and trade tables! ;).

Also I'd forgotten just how many buildings and vehicle templates they used to print. Some lovely fantasy buildings too.

Oh well...
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440005a&prodId=prod2160106a

A bundle that ACTUALLY SAVES YOU MONEY! Twenty quid saved if you buy this deal over all the bits separate. Come on, GW, keep this kind of thing up and show us you aren't totally mental!

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »

I guess lead adventure forums is not the place i had hoped it would be. O well i will try and find another one.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440005a&prodId=prod2160106a

A bundle that ACTUALLY SAVES YOU MONEY! Twenty quid saved if you buy this deal over all the bits separate.

lol yeah but the Scenery in that Set are the ugliest Pieces they're selling  >:D

this one made me chuckle,the WITCHFATE TOR for another 50 Quids  lol

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod900169a

the most ridiculous Scenery Piece ever  lol lol
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1390086a

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 09:05:37 PM »
I guess lead adventure forums is not the place i had hoped it would be. O well i will try and find another one.

The LAF is an amazing forum, full of great people, many of whom I now count among my friends. I suspect our good Captain was referring to threads getting derailed by GW-related blabber rather than any discussion of GW at all. Both the Future Wars and Fantasy Adventures folders have plenty of GW-based content, so don't be discouraged.